PDA

View Full Version : framing commissions

tabbycat
04-22-2003, 10:33 AM
I will hopefully be doing some commissions soon and I don't know what to do regarding framing. Do you think most people would prefer that the portrait come framed and ready to hang, or not framed but wrapped in acid-free protective film so that they can select their own frame? i work on pastel board so I don't feel like that's something I can mat (or can I?) but simply wrapping the board in film and just giving them that seems incomplete. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I feel inclined to not frame it myself because it would then be more difficult to ship. Thanks!

Lisa

myorca
04-22-2003, 10:58 AM
Hi Lisa,

I have never used pastel board, but it sounds like something that is like scratchboard. 1/8 inch thick? If so here is what I do to frame these.

Pic of board itself setting on foamboard
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/14688-artboard.jpg

I then cut a piece of acid free foam board the opening the size of the pastel/scratchboard. The board will sit inside this opening keeping it from sliding around inside the frame.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/14688-foamboardcut.jpg

Last pic is of the board set inside the foamboard.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/14688-insetboard.jpg

Use another piece of foamboard behind the cutout foam and artwork to keep the artwork from falling behind the opening. Your mat is then cut to overlap the artwork in front keeping it from falling out from the front.

Hope this helps!!

Bob

ironhorse
04-22-2003, 11:03 AM
I never frame commissions unless they ask fro it and are willing to pay not only the cost of the frame but my time in doing it for them.
What I do do is send along a sheet with proper framing instructions that they can take to their framers.

Twyla

Crias
04-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by ironhorse
I never frame commissions unless they ask fro it and are willing to pay not only the cost of the frame but my time in doing it for them.
What I do do is send along a sheet with proper framing instructions that they can take to their framers.

Twyla

Twyla- would you be willing to share that sheet on framing? I would like to send something like that with my work, but do not know enough about framing to make one.

I do not send work framed either, as what I like the owner may not and why spend the money, if they may well just get rid of it. If someone specifically asked for it to be framed, I too would charge the cost plus time. I would also ask colors for matting and frame. There are so many variables to framing that I think people are best making hteir own choices. The only time I frame is for print donations to various non-profits. I buy cheap frames and do single matting to minimize my cost and still look decent.

For shipping I lay thin foam (comes in rolls) over both sides of the drawing, then cut 2 pieces of cardboard larger than the artwork, and tape the cardboard around the drawing and foam. Then it all goes inside a cardboard box, is padded with the water soulble foam noodles on top and bottom and shipped insured for the value.

cyrillejubert
04-22-2003, 02:04 PM
I think everything has been written here on the subject.

On a commission, you are paid to draw or paint a subject your way, not to frame it.
It is on my commission list of prices that these prices are without frame.
But I present my work with a matt.

Each time I can, I propose to frame it so all my pictures will have the same frame for an exhibition. But I make a special bill for it.

k9artist
04-22-2003, 09:17 PM
I do not frame for commission work..the buyer has his or her own taste and may need to match a certain decor. On occasion I will mat them ( usually looks better for presentation) Framing is very expensive..especially with W/C and pastels that need both a mat and frame. Maybe someone out there can tell us the cheapest way they have of framing and still looking good!Graphic Dimensions does a decent frame..some that come with matts.www.pictureframes.com I think!
Dana

stalksthedawn
04-22-2003, 09:24 PM
I add on a price list for matts and frames so that they are not included in the price of the painting and this is only for local people. I prefer not to matt and frame those I ship due to the cost. I'm happy to take care of the matting and framing if they are willing to pay for it :)

tabbycat
04-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I have actually been driving myself nuts trying to figure out the best route to go. Myorca, thank you so much for the matting demo. And thank you for providing pics as well. So, on that note, I don't believe I'll be framing my commissions; I do think I will mat them, because it adds so much to the overall appearance.

Lisa