PDA

View Full Version : Can I post this here? Poster Color

mchew
04-22-2003, 06:36 AM
Hi guys,

Since I may be doing a mural painting soon, I thought I'll practise painting from darks to lights instead of the other way round which I'm so used to in watercolour.

This is not oil, not acrylic, not goauche but poster color, used by school children to do their art projects. it's water-based as well... so I guess this is the appropriate forum? I have a few tubes left which I bought to play around with sometime ago, very limited palette, ie. red, yellow, blue, yellow ochre, black and white.

I find it much easier to work the other way round and as Doug pointed out in the daily wash, I can paint light to dark too... this is fun! I think I'm ready for oils or acrylic... but don't worry, watercolor is still my first love.

16" x 14" poster color on plywood board (odd dimension I know, but that's the only board I have lying around...lol)

Time spent: 3 hours

Hope you like it... :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/14541-Impressionistic_Scenery_small.jpg

Nitsa
04-22-2003, 06:43 AM
It's lovely Marvin.
Where are you painting this mural? How big will it be?....I am beginning to think there is nothing you can't do!

painterbear
04-22-2003, 06:56 AM
Hi Marvin,

I think your "poster color" is called "tempera" also, and, like qouache, it is opaque and waterbased, rather than transparent like watercolors. I think it would qualify to be posted here, but—I'm not a moderator. ;)

This little painting is very fresh and clean looking.

Hope you can land the contract to do the mural. Andrea had a good suggestion about trompe l'oiel (sp?) painting techniques too, if they are looking to fool the eyes of their customers about a window being in the blank wall.

Crystal Owl
04-22-2003, 07:52 AM
Well done Marvin Congrats on the mural how big will it be?

Irene

mchew
04-22-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks for looking and your comment lol, Anita.... the mural will be about the size of a window... a fashion designer friend of my good friend is opening a new Mexican-themed boutique downtown and wants an artist to paint a realistic window looking out to a garden setting... (Thanks to the power of word of mouth)

The designer will provide the reference pic. I haven't met the designer to discuss the actual size, pricing, and all the other details of the mural (although I've met him in person previously went Adeline bought some blouses from his shop), but I understand the work should start around mid-May.

I'll most probably use latex water-based paints and some acrylics and then sealed it with a clear spray ... forgot what it's called... lol

Sylvia, trompe l'oiel sounds interesting... I know what you mean... very realistic stuff... I went to the tole/decorative/china forum and looked at Ruth's threads and mural works for the whole afternoon... she's amazing!

JustjoGA
04-22-2003, 08:02 AM
Good luck with your mural, Marvin!! Your tempera on plywood is a good indication your mural will be lovely....

mchew
04-22-2003, 08:09 AM
Thanks Irene and Jo...

I didn't realise Tempura is Poster Color.... I look at the little bottle container and all it says is Sakura Poster Color...White... Made in Japan.... and other Japanese words which I can't read... lol

Strawberry Wine
04-22-2003, 08:13 AM
Hi Marvin:

Your mural is beautiful. Looks very water colourish! (colourish- new word:) )

We have a decorative painter in our area who has done a few of these. I think she used the acrylic paints in the bottles by Deco Art or Americana. They have been on the walls for years, some in a very sunlit area and have not faded at all. Probably she sprayed them with something like Jp Sonya's Acrylic sealer.

If you would like any further info I would be happy to ask her for you.

Gail

CharM
04-22-2003, 08:20 AM
Marvin, this is really beautiful. I think you'll enjoy working with acrylics or tempera... It's much more forgiving than watercolour, but has it's own challenges... For instance, if you don't let an area dry before covering it with your next layer of glaze, you'll lift the paint and you'll have a hole to repair...

mchew
04-22-2003, 08:21 AM
Gail, this is not the mural... just a practice on a plywood board.

Please ask her on my behalf... thank you so much. :)

babybrush
04-22-2003, 08:24 AM
great job marvin. i have been thinking about practicing with the old acrylics again, now that i know more about painting in general. great job

Bethany

Little Old Lady
04-22-2003, 08:39 AM
Very nice job! It is interesting to see you painting loose and quick.
JoAnn

els
04-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Very good painting Marvin. Congreats on your comission. Don't forget to show us the pics...

Borum
04-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Marvin,

Good luck with the mural. Have painted several myself and I use white latex water-based paints and then mix an acrylic to get the tint that I need. Check out the Tole painting here and especially look for the work of a person called "Ruth." Her work is excellent. Again good luck with the project.

Giselle
04-22-2003, 10:08 AM
Marvin, this is wonderful! I think I like it even more than your beautiful watercolor paintings! You should definitely try oils. :clap:

mchew
04-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Thanks for looking everyone.

Bethany, go ahead and paint in acrylic... just let us know when you've posted since I rarely go to the acrylic forum :)

JoAnn... funny how I'm able to paint loosely in opaque (dark to light) but whenever I tried to be loose in watercolor, it looks weird.

els, I'll show the pics, if I do get the job....

Borum, thanks... yes, I've seen Ruth's murals... they're amazing!

Giselle, that's what I intend to do... be a versatile painter and not restrict myself to one medium.... but watercolour is still my fav.

Rose Queen
04-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Look at that sky! Look at that foliage <sigh>! I'll just never get it...

This is great, Marvin; I hope the mural is the first of many commissions and that you are rich and famous really soon so we can all say "we knew him when..."!

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

mchew
04-22-2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks Rose... :)

lyn lynch
04-22-2003, 03:25 PM
The "odd one" making an appearance.

Under ordinary circumstances I think this work should not be shown in Watercolor, and I would not support it with a reply. However, this is extra-ordinary circumstance.

Marvin, it looks wonderful. However, you are giving a lot of detail for a mural. With practice you will use less effort to convey more w/bigger strokes.

Use a water based latex paint for large midtone areas. Use craft paints like Deco, Americana, and my favorite, Folk Art for darks and highlights. Liquitex JAR is imo the BEST but more costly, as it is an art product--more chroma in it; stay away from cheap craft paints, which have low chroma content and thus you use too much paint and too much effort for less result. I do not mix colors for mural work, just use it straight from the bottle.

I do not varnish my wall work unless I want a special effect. If you varnish a mural it will put a bit of even sheen, thus detracting from the appearance. Acrylics generally take about a week to fully cure and thus be washable.

If I were to varnish, I would use JoSonja product [under Chroma site], which is imo the best varnish ever for a decorative painter. I have heard it lasts for years w/o a redo, unlike a regular oil or laytex varnish which must be renewed. It is more costly, but if the job can be charged materials it is worthwhile purchase.

Strawberry Wine
04-22-2003, 07:20 PM
I will be by her studio/shop later this week and will PM you with any info she provides.

Gail

artman42
04-22-2003, 09:15 PM
Good One ! Marvin,,,, Jim