PDA

View Full Version : Rene Gruau : "Rouge baiser"

cyrillejubert
04-22-2003, 06:12 AM
crosspost with "drawing & sketching"

I often make reference to Gruau , his elegant and elliptic way to say the essential. I discovered this morning he had a website, so I hope you will enjoy it too.
http://www.rene-gruau.com/

Here is one of his real famous advertising for a lipstick. I had it on the wall in front of my desk for years.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/19462-rougebaiser.jpg

Gilberte
04-22-2003, 02:30 PM
hahahaha,
I remember this "affiche" very well ...
I remember seeing "rouge baiser" and "soir de Paris" in my mother's boudoir !!!:D

cyrillejubert
04-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Gilberte
hahahaha,
I remember this "affiche" very well ...
I remember seeing "rouge baiser" and "soir de Paris" in my mother's boudoir !!!:D

Hi Gilberte
Nice to see you. Did you visit his website ?
I love all his fashion advertisings but I hate his paintings for the perfume "Eau sauvage" de Christian Dior.
It was my perfume for years and I still have a bottle in my bathroom.
Curious ! I suppose that his painting is not in parallele with my own fantasy on this perfume

seejay
04-22-2003, 10:36 PM
My French is no good, but he seems to have been influenced by Toulouse-Lautrec....great work indeed, very eye-catching.

I guess one would learn a lot about composition by studying these images...

Thanks for the link.

cyrillejubert
04-23-2003, 03:46 AM
The link between Gruau and Toulouse-Lautrec is the purpose of most of their most famous paintings. Both worked a lot as poster designers.

I have been working in advertising business five years, las on the wrong side of the hedge, I was trader. A poster will be seen 3 seconds. You have to transmit your message very quickly.

Jakeally
04-23-2003, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the link Cyrille. I really enjoyed viewing those marvelous images.
I just love the le rouge baiser poster...... sooooo few lines and yet it speaks volumes.

cyrillejubert
04-23-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by seejay
My French is no good

You dont need to speak french there is an english version
just press the british flag button !

You had prefered an australian flag button ?:D