PDA

View Full Version : First Seascape with gouache

wandieortiz
02-28-2012, 07:07 PM
The size of this painting is 5"x7". It's my first seascape and there was a large billowing clouds that day. Please let me know what you think of the painting overall.:wave:

I find it hard to lighten some of the turquoise colors with white without making it look too chalky, especially since the colors in the caribbean are vibrant. Would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2012/655492-kiteboarder_for_wetcanvas.jpg

Deborah Secor
02-29-2012, 10:51 AM
wandieortiz, I commented in the Corner, but as to the turquoise, yes, it's sometimes a good idea to lighten with white and yellow. I have a Cad Yellow Light that often does the trick for me (M. Graham), but you also may find different pigments work differently. There's nothing chalky looking about this one!

BTW, what surface are you using? I like the strokes showing. Nice painting!

wandieortiz
02-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks Deborah! I use M Graham but I don't have Cad. Yellow Light, and I think Hansa Yellow will be too bright and greenish. I'll have to order it..thanks!

I like preparing my Arches hot pressed watercolor paper with Liquitex Clear Gesso (it's toothier than most gessos) and I also tint it with acrylic paint depending on the subject. I tinted this painting a warm grey color. I'm trying to get the same visible impressionist strokes and texture I used when I painted with soft pastel.

karenlee
02-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Why are you gessoing Arches HP for a gouache painting? I thinks it's not only unnecessary, but undesirable to do that to fine 100% rag paper.

wandieortiz
02-29-2012, 02:08 PM
I like to mix it up and do both but lately I've been laying down a thin layer of gesso on my wc paper. You can gesso practically any surface and it makes making corrections very easy since I can just wipe it off. Carla O'Connor also uses this method on watercolor paper. I'm open to many different methods to get the look I want and I find that gouache is one of those mediums that is very versatile.

blissofsilver
03-05-2012, 06:25 PM
I agree with karen... If you're gessoing it's better to do it on a different surface. A 100% rag paper should be used the way it is since it's so expensive.