PDA

View Full Version : daffs in blue jug

kate252
02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
small square acrylic canvas
this is my second attempt- theres a whole painting underneath it

fire away with the crit- bear in mind though that i find painting HARD and to avoid filling the bin up alone is an achievement for me- never the less fire away with crit if you like, i havent done much acrylics- have been on water color forum for last year

but so fed up with water colors!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2012/179491-IMGP3342.jpg

kate252
02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
that pink (crimson) shouldnt really be there should it- i was trying to stop it all from being just yellow and blue- it seems like i am OK planning flowers and jug- then i run out of information to paint- and have to kind of make it up. any tips or hints?

karenlee
02-28-2012, 01:55 PM
You might be fed up with watercolors, but your experience in handling them makes this a successful painting.
It is possible to cancel out the pink with a wash of the right green. I would try it on samples first. You could get a great dark shadow out of the pink/green mix or you might get a purple, depending on the pigments in your paint.

gaykir
02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Quite frankly, I think the pink is fine and adds some interest & dimension but it's your painting. It has a wonderful feel to it and a certain grace. I like it a lot and wouldn't change a thing.

NeilF92
02-28-2012, 03:52 PM
With Acrylic the advantage is you don't need to be too careful of what you've done - it can all be overpainted and pushed 'n pulled to how you want it using more layers.
With watercolour it's very much a one chance effort but Acrylics are wonderfully tolerant of abuse!

kate252
02-28-2012, 05:39 PM
yes karen i agree- i certainly have learnt a lot with those water cololrs- not to be sniffed at. but what joy- now i can change- i can add stuff. i took away the pink in the end- in life this painting sucks more than it does on computer-

i went out for a walk and saw it afresh when i came back- and thought- oh that painting sucks- so i took out the pink with a sponge- if lifted off. can you believe acrylic lifting? must have been the surface- the watery wash and a combinations of factors

so anyways....im thinking next time- to bush out more flowers

and as Ive discussed with karen through PM- to use a better yellow- as this was a cheap lower than student grade yellow

you can hardly call it a van gogh yellow could you

WILT
02-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Persevere,
Acrylics are the most rewarding medium for beginners,you never have to waste a canvas or board or even a piece of paper if it comes to it.
They are difficult to control in terms of luminence compared with oils/watercolour, but great results can be achieved in practice and you will have more time to discover them compared to bin_ing all those failed muddy watercolurs or slow drying oils. They say you learn by your mistakes .the beauty of Acrylics is that your mistake is there as a reference whilst you actually correct it <grn>

OkeeKat
02-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Hii Kate!
This is great, I think you are doing well for just starting out with acrylics.
Keep at it.. the vase is fabulous details!! I too paint thinly not too watery but thinner like an inky consistancy and paint many layers, thick if you want or thin.. but if its too watery, you lose some of the pigment on some of the less then professional brand paints.
I love using the Liquitex Heavy body paints which I can thin without losing the pigments and still have vibrant and opaque colors.
Keep at it and alot of practice, to get use to the medium!

Karen70
02-29-2012, 08:32 AM
You can certainly tell that in the past you've used watercolours though, this piece is very 'watercoloury'. I used to get frustrated with watercolours, but since using acrylics, I haven't looked back. You can be more confident and adventurous with acrylics.
I like your painting, and the vase is extremely good, but in my opinion, I think the daffodils could have a bit more colour and shadows on. Great start :thumbsup:

chammi kaiser
02-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Love that blue jug. Agree with Karen that the daffodils could do with a little more colour - give the whole thing more umphh!!! Like this one.

ecobb
03-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Iíve been thinking of trying one just like this. But you beat me too it. Very nice work on the China Vase. I do like the Daffs.

KarenESP
03-02-2012, 06:50 AM
It's great. That vase looks AWESOME!!