Title: well, I forgot to get her name!! drat
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Board
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
back to gushing.
I was very intrigued with her features. Decided she was a Polynesian princess or something, but she said she was just Mexican. Well, I disagree. A very rich and interesting face.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
he he he... tonight I want you to guess what color suede board I did it on.
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!
dj*

artbabe21
04-22-2003, 01:02 AM
she IS a princess beauty...blue, purple, brown suede?

btw, congrats on new title/job...:)

Luzie
04-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Nice portrait, as always:D

My guess would be blue?

soulsketcher
04-22-2003, 11:17 AM
wow! i really really like this! the colors are amazing...if you ever want to sell it i will buy..lol

good work!

soulsketcher

djstar
04-22-2003, 03:59 PM
I am real sensitive that way!
I would happily sell it for my portrait price of $200....
EVERYTHING is for sale, just have a hard time finding buyers...
PM me if you are considering it really!
Thanks for the kind comments.
It is on royal blue. I posted the answer in the pastel and portrait forums, but I like having a question, just to keep it interesting over here!
dj*

simon levenson
04-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Hey stinky,
Nice work... my kind of woman. I am working on a portrait right now, OYE! How do you work so fast? If you were hired by the model would you work slower? Is it a figurative piece until you are asked to make it a portrait? Does a portrait make it more...?

djstar
04-22-2003, 04:16 PM
If you commission me it is a pig in a poke. You are hoping it will be good and I have to convince you it is.
If it is done, it gets to be art. At that point, the idea is you are buying my artistic choices and ... well later a frame, so I price higher after the fact.
and now I have to go back to work!
later.
(same to you stinky! I loved the construction!)
dj*

djstar
04-22-2003, 09:11 PM
I got out early and went over to our art museum which had an exhibit called from Goya to Picasso.... Nice to see some of the real stuff.....

so
to answer Simon.
As I have no room designated as a studio to paint from life, I have been working almost exclusively from photos, which I take myself whenever possible. I must admit painting from models is hard enough, I would probably crack under the pressure of painting a client from life. Hard to tell the person with the cash to shut up and sit still!

It would be my choice, however.

I would hope a person who liked my work would like my STYLE which would override their notions of vanity but, woe, I believe it may be my problem.
I had occasion to compare a pose with a prominent portrait artist and it was very obvious the pro had taken a lot of wrinkles out enlarged the eyes and youthened them up a LOT. After some comments I noted that it could be why she was a well known and requested portrait artist and I was still at the school.

And about painting for commission.... It does take me a lot longer. I feel more obliged to get it JUST RIGHT, but then again, they don't go home after the three hours either!

Any help? And congrats on the commission!
dj*

simon levenson
04-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Well bubba,

That seems to be the thing, a lot of people dont seem to like the way they look and then they hire you to paint them. You can see the problem. I am happy to make some money from painting but I am on the beginning side of two painting from photos, one that I took myself. Two separate clients. I am finding the work a bit boring in a way... no I shouldn't say that, it is more of a labor in some way and while I think it is easy to say not to do that, it is also correct that sometimes work is called work for a reason...

Here is my long answer to my current thougths on painting... I have gone to the Manet to Valezques show twice at the Met. Both times now I have headed to the last room, which has it all. Man oh Man, there are a whole bunch of William Meritt Chase paintings, Two Thomas Eakins paintings (a weird one) and bunch of Whistlers, and of course God's paintings, I mean Sargent. Not to mention a stunner from Cassat, great Degas and numerous others...

Wa hoo, so the thing I am going through now is this notion that we all seem to have or maybe it is just me, that painting is some form of expression only and that if you "feel" it enough, this magical stuff called oil paint will convey your deepest feelings. I think that is a little bunk! though I was sold these ideas many times and that seems to be the prevailing themes I see.

While primal grunting can get you somewhere and may be the urge for all speaking there are certainly other things one can communicat through language. So I am here working and happy to have it, being teased by people who say they will buy this painting or that and they don't, trying to be patient and ask myself if painting is enough for me, being so isolated and all...

The things I saw at the Museum would tell me that oil painting is hard work...

Just an honest feeling... shared on a bored at wet canvas...

jerryW
04-22-2003, 10:30 PM
interesting movement in hair
nice blocking with body shapes and blouse.