PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Watercolour #2

DavidBR
04-21-2003, 07:38 PM
In March I posted my first watercolour I had painted in 25 years under the thread "Returning to Watercolour". The comments sent in were much appreciated and so I've kept at it. Pampe encouraged me to sign up for some projects and I have completed 2 so far. Below is my posting to the "Paint Your Home Project". I probably cheated by posting it to the Let it Snow project as well since it seemed equally applicabe. However, I did paint another picture for Let it Snow as well. Anyway, appreciate any comments. :)

David

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/20059-House1.jpg

pampe
04-21-2003, 07:57 PM
wonderful work on shadows and values

leads me right around the painting

nice work, David...good to see you again!

Pam

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Very nic painting. Love the snow on the roof. Show us more.
JoAnn

Strawberry Wine
04-21-2003, 08:04 PM
David

Thiis is wonderfully done. The angles and perspective on the house are really good. I love the skiier on the front porch drawing the eye down from the chimney on the roof.

I have one little nit. The shadows from the left side of the porch are on the ground and going to the left of the porch and the shadow frrom the porch roof, the skier and the the right roof peak are going to the right. My eyes are going back and forth wondering where the light source is coming from.

Other than that, you have captured the feel of a sunny winter day.

Gail

Uschi
04-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Wonderful painting David!!!! I feel as if my skies are already on and I am impatiently waiting for her/him to hurry up and join me on this lovely and sunny day!
Uschi

artijan
04-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Great painting, David. I really like the feel of the sun on the snow. Show us more of your work soon.

Jan

M.A.
04-21-2003, 09:37 PM
Wonderful!
:clap:

DavidBR
04-21-2003, 09:37 PM
Gail:

I see what you are saying about the shadows. I had to go back and look at the reference photo to see what was wrong. What is going on is this: the sun is fairly low and to the left of the house. The shadows on the ground to the left of the porch are not from the pillars on the porch (although I see how they could be interpreted that way) but are from some trees that are out of the picture to the left of the house. Their shadows actually are case up the wall of the porch and onto the roof. Likewise, the same for the shadows just in the foreground in front of the house.

I think I can make this more obvious by increasing the size of the shadows on the ground to the left of the porch and up the wall of the house.

Thanks for your observation and comments.

David

al22
04-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Very good Dave..........a very pleasing composition........ Will enjoy seeing more of your work......
...al

hopefulbucky
04-21-2003, 09:48 PM
David I really love this painting, very well done. I had the same reaction to the shadows by the porch posts and kept going back to see where the sun was coming from. Before I read the other post I finally figured out that it was coming from a tree or trees outside the picture. Maybe making them a little larger would solve the problem. But it is really a lovely painting. Congrats.

CharM
04-21-2003, 10:11 PM
Autumn leaves from Rod's brushes. Snow from David's brushes. Hello!!!??? It's SPRING you guys!!! Well... at least on this side of the world, so we can understand where Rod's going... But David... think warm thoughts!!!

David, this is really beautiful. Welcome back! Fixing the shadows will make this a winner. I was able to figure out that trees were casting the shadow because of the shapes on the snowy roof.

suzpaints
04-21-2003, 10:18 PM
really nice work!

there's nothing better than the feel of the afternoon sun on your face after a good day of skiing!:)

Susie.

Mary Smith
04-21-2003, 10:49 PM
This is superb! Nice to see you back here, stay a while.:clap: :clap: :clap:

DavidBR
04-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Thanks to Gail for the comment on the shadow direction. I've touched them up a bit and the result is as below. I think it corrects the lighting ambiguity problem - let me know.

David

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/20059-house_correctedshadows.jpg :eek:

ScarletLake
04-22-2003, 09:25 AM
David

What a nice painting. Please don't stop painting for another 25 years. You're very good.

This site is a wonderful place for people to learn & help one another

Anita

Giselle
04-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Wonderful painting! Great light and shadows, the figure of the skier adds interest to the whole composition. Thank you for sharing.:)

Frank Fan
04-22-2003, 10:26 AM
finally I can see your 2nd post, it's as good as I expected, Spring is coming, hope you keep on painting and have a nice time.

mustcreate
04-22-2003, 10:55 AM
wonderful shadow work!!

excellent house portrait:)

so good to see that you are enjoying your painting time after such a long hiatus.

em

surreal
04-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Very bold and intriguing painting!

Annetta
04-22-2003, 12:47 PM
.....based on this watercolor....why did you ever "leave" in the first place!! Awesome!!! :clap: :clap:

Let's see more!! :D

Jprice022
04-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Very nice painting David. I like the addition of the person.

Joni St. Martin
04-22-2003, 01:33 PM
David,

Your work is just wonderful! I am so impressed. You have really captured the snowy day look!
Well done!

Regards,

Joni

Strawberry Wine
04-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Good changes David and a big "duh" to me who did not notice tree branch shadows on the roof

Even so, I am glad that I made the comments because your changes have really accented the off scene trees and added more interest to an already good painting.

Waiting to see your next post.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Gail::o