PDA

View Full Version : Going for "Looser"

Annetta
04-21-2003, 07:35 PM
....this was done as an exercise from a book by John Lovett, and a exercise by me to loosen that death grip on my brushes!! :p

9x12, Arches 140cp, Cadmium Red, Paynes Gray, Gamboge, Lemon Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Hooker's Green, Sepia, Blue Violet and Ultramarine Deep. Did I forget any?......sheesh....played in all the paints...oh, and touches of sepia ink here and there......Modified and changed a few things.

Comment/Critiques/Suggestions welcome.

Reference

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/16337-lovett_reference.JPG

Painting....scanned a bit askew I believe :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/16337-lovett_actual.JPG

Nitsa
04-21-2003, 07:41 PM
IMHO your brickwork and steps are better!
Fantastic work! :clap:

Strawberry Wine
04-21-2003, 07:50 PM
OOH Annetta Gorgeous:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree about your brickwork and steps Well done.

I do like the dark sky and bushes in the ref, and if you add some more darks I think it will make the beautiful oranges in your house stand out.

Gail

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Nice job. I do think the perspective on the left side is a bit off.
JoAnn

Uschi
04-21-2003, 08:22 PM
I think you did a really, really nice job on this!!! It's lovely!!!!
Uschi

Annetta
04-21-2003, 08:43 PM
......oh, for heaven's sake!!......you people want me to do 'loose', 'darker' and 'perspective' all at the same time? *laughing*.....ohhhh did you say darker Gail?.....I dunno, *gulp*, *wringing hands*.....j/k :p You all have helped me past being so 'timid'....it is just paper and this is just an exercise so the painting isn't going anywhere.

Thank you Anita for the kind words. My steps DO look better IMHO too!!

Fun2Cook....I scorched my Chili while finishing this up :D

Am going to go with your advice Gail and kind of looking forward to it :cat:

Yep, JoAnn, you're absolutely right. My perspective is off...but look at the reference...far left porch post...and he's a professional...lol :p

Thank you Uschi, for kind words from a kind lady... :)

...trots off to add those 'DARKS'........

karenjh
04-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Yep, I like yours better.

JanJones
04-21-2003, 10:49 PM
I think you have done a great job. Love this one.

CharM
04-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Annetta
[B
Fun2Cook....I scorched my Chili while finishing this up :D
[/B]

Annetta... oh my gosh... First Mary-Ann burned her dinner... then... your burned the chili... Abstract Portrait Woman is working her magic... LOL

Mary-Ann... honestly, just kidding with you!!!

Annetta... This is a great exercise! And, yes, your steps and brick are better. I noticed the ref's perspective problem right away, so felt you had licence...

Faafil
04-22-2003, 12:01 AM
oh, I think your painting is much better than the reference.... great job !!

Nitsa
04-22-2003, 06:40 AM
Anxiously awaiting those darks....This is gonna be stunning!

Crystal Owl
04-22-2003, 07:29 AM
Just beautiful, your brick work is fabulous!

Irene

els
04-22-2003, 07:35 AM
You did a very good job on this painting Anetta... Love it...

Rod
04-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Looking great Annetta,

You've suceeded with a loose touch. I prefer your varied colours in the brickwork. Neat steps :)
Not too sure about going much darker with the sky, the roof colour does show a sunny day .

I noticed you have paynes grey in your list of colours, I used to have that colour but I found if it wasn't used very sparingly some colours turned muddy. so I stopped using it ,

Rod.

Annetta
04-22-2003, 09:23 AM
....thank you Owl for looking and commenting :D I really enjoy the brick/stone work and it must be showing :cat:

Thank you Rod for commenting :) Oops, too late on the darks...I added them last night and it was late, so will post the updated painting this evening when I get home from work.

Yes, I use paynes gray and it does tend to turn into mud. What colors can you mix to achieve a good, dark color that won't turn into mud? I have an expense check coming soon. I swear I'm going to blow it all on WN paints!! :clap: :clap:

Thanks again to the rest of you for your input :angel: It means a lot to me and helping me 'grow' in my painting abilities.

surreal
04-22-2003, 11:09 AM
I love this painting.
It's great!!!

Annetta
04-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Okay, here is the painting with darks added to foilage around house and a couple more washes on the sky. Whadda ya think? You like the first or second one better? I still like them both but Gail, I think the darker sky does make the house stand out more. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/16337-lovett_revised_3.JPG

babybrush
04-22-2003, 04:30 PM
i like this version better except for where it chops your trees off bluntly. it is too hard of an edge there where the trees meet the sky

Bethany

surreal
04-22-2003, 04:40 PM
I like it better as is.
:D

Annetta
04-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the input Bethany :D

I guess the reference does depict trees? As I was painting it, I was thinking of a steep hillside covered with low growing ground cover. melding into an obscure ridge, that drops off sharply on the other side to the ocean (even though you can't see all this I was imagining it :p ). Albeit, with this in mind, is the edge still too sharp?

Strawberry Wine
04-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Annetta: OH YES!!! The house pops right out at you. Well done!!!

Gail

l_wheat
04-23-2003, 01:37 AM
Beautiful, John Lovett is a terrific artist, I havent gotten his book but I love his website.

Rod
04-23-2003, 02:21 AM
The house really pops Annetta, glad you didn't go as dark as the original .

For darks I just mix a red , brown and a blue.

French Ultramarine , Alizarin crimson , burnt umber works well,

by varying the ratios you can get a warm or cool dark,

Rod.

Annetta
04-23-2003, 12:56 PM
...thank you for Gail for suggesting more darks....it worked great!

Rod, looking forward to playing with these colors for my grays and darks...thanks! :D

Wheat, thank you for looking :) It never ocurred to me that Joh Lovett might have a website...duh!! :cat:

babybrush
04-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Annetta, the idea you had works great, i was just thinking trees and since i had just been studying the others, that is what i had in mind this was. the bit near the houseon the left though is a bit odd, not sure what if anything you should do.

Bethany

Gilberte
04-23-2003, 01:07 PM
Good exercize !

Annetta
04-23-2003, 01:11 PM
I think the left side of my brain painted the left side and right side of brain, etc. because the ones on the right side do look more like trees :rolleyes: I think I was trying to give the appearance of "tops" of low ground cover/bushes on left near the house. Whatever the case, I appreciate you taking the time to look and offer your critiques :)

I think I will just place this in my "exercise" pile and call it good. It amazes me how many things (at once) there are to concentrate on when painting. I'll get it all eventually (I hope) :cat:

Joni St. Martin
04-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Annetta,

Very nice painting. You do beautiful work!

Regards,

Joni

KathyJB
04-23-2003, 03:11 PM
Wouldnt it be nice if we could leave the food and come back and lift out or fix it when we mess that up?
that aside... this is a nice rendition of a nice loose brick and mortar house