PDA

View Full Version : Watercolor Portrait Exchange ...

M.A.
04-21-2003, 07:21 PM
Fookie and I are interested in starting a watercolour portrait exchange.

The following is the way we invision it and are looking for input from everyone else here to make it a fun project.

We'd keep it open, unlimited, so that when new people arrive in the watercolor channel they can join the fun.

Submit your own photo before joining the portrait exchange.

Snag the image you want to paint or paint as many as you like ... one or 100, it's up to you, your skill level and how much practice you want and how many people participate.

Please only submit one reference photo of yourself. If you have more than one reference photo, that's fine, just host it on your own site and give us the link in the discussion portion of the project where we can go check out your other reference photos.

It would be great to have unusual poses, not the standard front-on. (Some of us are "teeth" challenged, so if your photo doesn't show teeth, some of us would appreciate it.) Parts of a face, nose, ears, eyes are good, too. A side view with strong light will provide *values* so we can put in those darks!!!

It would be open to all skill levels.

It's unnecessary to send your portrait to the person whom you paint but if you do feel inclined you can pm the person if you'd like to make it a post exchange too (that's up to you).

Any other suggestions?

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 07:53 PM
Does it have to be a recent photo?
JoAmm

tigre255
04-21-2003, 07:53 PM
ok I'll play..........:rolleyes: just what i need to maybe get me out of this painting slump........

M.A.
04-21-2003, 07:56 PM
JoAnn - I don't think it would be necessary that the photo be recent. In fact, I think it would add an interesting dimension to the project if it were from before 2003...

Barb - I can't believe you're in a slump, you seem to pump a lot of energy into your work! Glad to hear you're interested!!!

Any other takers? Any other questions or comments about the parameters of the project before we begin?

Strawberry Wine
04-21-2003, 08:11 PM
Mary Ann: I voted maybe but was torn between that and yes where do I sign. I don't have a lot of pics of me in recent years as I do most of the photography and I am NOT AT ALL photogenic. I have a few good photos of myself in black and white, could we use black and white as well as colour?

Looking forward to more details.

Gail

Uschi
04-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Count me in!!! Haven't done a portrait in over two years, so it should be fun, well, and scary, just like one of those horror movies HA!
Uschi

P.S. Glad it's open because this is gardening season!!!

M.A.
04-21-2003, 08:15 PM
Gail - B&W is fine. I think the more selection and variation we have in photos the better. Does this push you over to a yes?
:)

Uschi - Excellent!

I'm in the process of setting up the project now.

Let's have fun with it!

M.A.
04-21-2003, 08:26 PM
I just set up the project ... I guess it takes a while before projects are approved. So in the meantime you should dig through your photoalbums for interesting photos of yourself.
When you have chosen one photo, please pm me with it.
:)
Keep coming with your suggestions too.

When it gets approved, it will be at the following link:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=418

babybrush
04-21-2003, 09:03 PM
i'm in!! don't have too many photos of me, but i will do my last year Christmas pic or maybe one from my grandparents 50th ok i'm thinking of where i might find some good ones. this is going to be fun

Bethany

M.A.
04-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Bethany - Great! I'm sure you can find a photo you're happy with ... it'll be lots of fun.

lyn lynch
04-21-2003, 10:06 PM
I want to state up front that I work ONLY from black and white. If I snag a color photo, I convert it before I begin painting. Thus, if I do not know you personally you may end up with green eyes and red hair when in fact you have red eyes and green hair. You takes your chances with me. LOL

If coloring is important to you, perhaps we can come back to this thread and say, to wit:

I'm white and dark-brown over hazel. I used to be a dark auburn over hazel. But, for myself, I don't care what color you put me in.

If it is an ongoing project, might be fun to switch the reference photo every few months, if a person feels so inclined.

As encouragement to participate, I state that I do NOT make portraits, I make ONLY characters, so do not feel you cannot participate because you make a lovely tree but not a face. This is just about having a spot of fun.

BTW: Mary Ann says "Fookie and I" when reality is that this project is her work and her's alone. She just asked me if I thought there would be interest, and I said make a thread to ask.

al22
04-21-2003, 11:03 PM
My arm hurts.......where do I sign............lol
.........al

lyn lynch
04-21-2003, 11:39 PM
Al, you good son! LOL

M.A.
04-22-2003, 05:55 AM
Fookie - I like the idea of changing pics every once in a while and will do my best to do so but i think I'll heed the warning from Bobby and Ciarrai ... that it could become a lot of work ... why don't you co-administer this project, that way we can do more fun stuff like that?

Fookie - Another great suggestion ... to mention what colour your eyes are (mine are blue, more like midnight sky than noon) and my skin tones are more towards red with ultramarine undertones - but maybe I should get a stronger light! I don't care what colour you make me, if you or anyone else is thinking of doing my pic. My natural hair colour is dark blonde but I really like colour and some of my reference pics show that, lately I've been darkening it, don't know why, guess it's just fun and it's only hair... in some of the pics it looks red ... but that just ain't so ... guess it is influenced by my surroundings.

Here's an url with more ref pics of me if the one I submit isn't what you'd like to paint:
http://www.citadelhill.com/ref-ma.html
(making a photo page like this, tucked away somewhere on your site is what I have in mind if you have more than one ref pic to offer - makes it easier for the watercolorist to choose which one suits their methods).

Fookie - this project is yours too 'cause you're the instigator! :) And it belongs to everyone in this group too!

Al - Yahoo! You can sign up in the project section of this site as soon as it gets approved. I submitted it last night and will have to wait for the powers-that-be to approve it ... in the meantime, you and everyone else who wants to participate can submit a reference pic to me so that when it's up and ready I can upload your pic.

Any more suggestions? Anyone else want to co-administer this project (if that's something we can do)?

Strawberry Wine
04-22-2003, 08:43 AM
Mary Ann: I am defnitely a Yes. I will start looking for a pic later today and for the record.

I have blue eyes and brownish hair but have it streaked with blonde highlights to offset the grey that is now appearing.

But I din't care what colour you make me.

Gail

babybrush
04-22-2003, 09:02 AM
ok, i'm getting excited about this you guys. and you can paint me blue for all i care. i've never been able to draw or paint myself convincingly and want to see how other people do it.

MA- how do i submit full sized photo to you? and since i don't have a web page, would using my reference pics space in my profile work? i haven't done this sort of thing before.

Bethany

mustcreate
04-22-2003, 09:33 AM
I will be away for the next couple of weeks so I can't get started on this very soon, but it sounds like a challenge and F - U - N !!!!

Wouldn't it be cool to have a mini gallery of portraits of yourself painted by other WC'ers?!!!!!

I am all for sending any away to the recepients that I paint :) and I would LOVE to recieve any that were painted of me :)

I am excited about this. I just hope people are still fired up about it when I get back from my trip.

em

M.A.
04-22-2003, 11:13 AM
Gail - great!!!

Bethany - you can try to pm it to me (just use the uploader as usual ... but if it's too big then email it to me: [email protected]) Also, posting your photo in your ref pics is an EXCELLENT IDEA!!!

Em - Send your pic before you go ... that way some of us may surprise you on your return!

M.A.
04-22-2003, 03:55 PM
It's up! Here's the link to the page where you can sign up! Remember to pm your pic to me. There's a project thread too so let's move over there!

Yahhoo-ooooo-ooooooooo