PDA

View Full Version : Abstract portrait attempt

M.A.
04-21-2003, 06:54 PM
Hi ... I burned tonight's dinner while doing this.

What do you think of portraits in abstract? Negative, positive or neutral comments invited.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/18725-abstractportrait.jpg

Lulu
04-21-2003, 06:59 PM
I love the looseness of it, has a freshness about it - would like to see a neck though.

LOL @ you burning dinner while doing it - I can relate to that!:)

Strawberry Wine
04-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Mary Ann

Shame on you... burning dinner..... Where are your priorities girl???

Just Kidding of course, without hubby coming in and scrounging through the fridge for sustenence I would sometimes forget dinner entirely.

All kidding aside..... I think she , it looks like a she to me, is rather scary but in a good way. I know absolutely zilch about abstracts so you will get no critiques from me.

However, I am curious and disturbed by her all at the same time, so if this is a good thing with abstracts I think you have succeeded doing a portrait abstract very well.

Big help wasn't I

Gail

Annetta
04-21-2003, 07:16 PM
.....well, it's different!! It reminds me of melting....in a good way...(or me trying to apply makeup when the humidity is 100%..ha!)abstract for sure....like the looseness....yep, think it was worth burning up supper :clap: ....thank goodness for cereal and milk huh? :p

pampe
04-21-2003, 07:18 PM
I think your experimenting is grand!!!

You started out pretty tight......;)

white-anubis
04-21-2003, 07:32 PM
It's so fluffy and runny, and great! You know, the whole reason I got married was so I'd have someone to remind me that I needed to eat, sleep, etc. At least you can remember to cook dinner! LOL!

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Fun painting. It looks like you had fun!
JoAnn

Loki
04-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Technically it is well done: your washes are spot-on and the colors you selected really work with each other... Also, I find it to be rather disturbing... creepy... you just need to make some adjustments to the gamma and color balance to make it truly nightmarish.

I really love it.

M.A.
04-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Lulu - Thanks! Doesn't the little drip below the chin qualify as a neck? lol.

Gail - Thanks! And yes, you are a big help! I really appreciate your comments and encouragement. (Can't wait for you to sign up for the portrait exchange.)
:evil:

Annetta - You're right! Thank goodness for cereal and milk ... although I'm out of milk ... appreciate your comments and I can relate to melting makeup too!

Pam - Thanks. This one sort of gets me out of the "box" ... sort of way out of the box ... down the road, around the bend...

Walerian - Thanks! Ha ha, glad your wife takes good care of you! Fluffy and runny, eh? I like that.

JoAnn - It was soooo fun! More fun to come in the wc portrait exchange...

Loki - LOL. Will work on the gamma! Thanks

Uschi
04-21-2003, 08:36 PM
I think it is very interesting!!! IN A GOOD WAY!!!!!! Except, abstract or not, the neck; well, on the other hand it could be one of these cookies on a stick and I am supposed to ............
Uschi

M.A.
04-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Uschi - Thanks for your comments ... I'm ROFL...

CharM
04-21-2003, 10:50 PM
Well... I'm really not sure about this one!!! Does she sell dolls with little pins? Whew... She made you burn your dinner... that has to be telling you something! Voodoo you think?

Looks like you did have lots of fun. Experimenting is great and you did pull off a pretty neat "portrait"... LOL

lyn lynch
04-21-2003, 11:44 PM
Looks like the doll I use to put a CHADA WADA MUTSA on persons I arm twist.

I like that you are trying loser and this was an excellent reference for the purpose. Also trying wet into wet, which I have been doing last two days also. But it doesn't qualify as an abstract to me; to be so, one eye must be in position of the mouth, etc. LOL

Looks like it was lotsa fun.

M.A.
04-22-2003, 06:24 AM
Char - thanks for your input. it's actually a young man who is portrayed here. it was really fun to do.

Fookie - yup, good exercise. arm twisting? lol.

CharM
04-22-2003, 09:05 AM
:o :o :o Mary-Ann... I am soooooo red-faced!! I'm sorry... I hope I didn't offend... My flippant remarks get me into trouble all the time... You'd think I would have learned by now... It must have been one of my menopausal moments...

I'm loving your progress with your portraits. I admire your courage in trying something totally new and "out of the box"...

M.A.
04-22-2003, 11:10 AM
Char - be happy! I really appreciated your comments! (and encouragement)

Gia
04-22-2003, 01:30 PM
fun experiment, agree with fookie....no abstract though..and I think it would look good also
with a neck and shoulders too, maybe....

M.A.
04-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks for your comments Gia.

I am curious though, to those of you who don't think it's abstract, what is it?

Also, I posted this image in the Abstract/Contemporary channel and think you might find some of the comments there interesting...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1147533#post1147533

Strawberry Wine
04-22-2003, 07:13 PM
Ok, Ok, Ok, Mary Ann: I am signing up right after I post this and will look for a suitable photo tomorrow, well at least in the next few days. I will stick a postie on my computer screen

Char: I thought and in my mind still think Woman and the pin thing fits exactly..

Ok I am off to sign up for the (gritting teeth), portrait exchange. Gritting teeth remembering my first and only portrait of my sister with baby that I called the 100 hour portrait. Well now that I have that one under my belt the next one should be a whiz. LOL

Gail

M.A.
04-22-2003, 07:53 PM
Gail - that's great that you're signing up for the portrait project. I'll look forward to seeing you there! It will be fun and hopefully won't take 100 hours! lol.