PDA

View Full Version : Italian Entryway with Flowers

painterbear
04-21-2003, 04:24 PM
I worked on this painting yesterday and today. It is painted from a slide we took at Paestum, south of Naples, when we went to visit the Greek temples there. There were flowers everywhere we looked. I especially liked the colors of this entry to a house we saw there.

Painted on 140 lb. coldpressed Canson paper, 5" x 7", quinacridone gold, FUB, Alizarin Crimson, burnt sienna, Indian red, W & N paints, artist quality.

The greens in the leaves is a very deep green made w/ FUB and quinacridon gold, but the scanner is not picking it up as green for some reason.

Comments and critiques are welcomed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/9833-entrywflowerspaestum.gif

Annetta
04-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Lovin' those red and white flowers against that gold wall!! Very bright and dramatic. Great job Syl :clap: :clap:

Uschi
04-21-2003, 04:48 PM
Very pretty Sylvia!!!
Uschi

tigre255
04-21-2003, 05:03 PM
ohhhh I like this one Sylvia......very dramatic painting.....and i love the texture of the gold wall.........very well rendered.......

:clap: :clap: :clap:

painterbear
04-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Annetta, Uschi, and Barbara

Thank you for taking the time to look and comment so kindly. Wish you could see the greens mixed in with the whites and reds, it looks much more lively in RL.

Barbara,

I used Madmum's salt technique for texture, then layered several washes with varying colors to make it look moddled.

CharM
04-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Sylvia, you've done a beautiful job with this. The colours are warm and inviting. I really like the pallette you chose!!! AND Madmum's salt technique!!!

Olga
04-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Hi Sylvia,
Really nice composition in this one--all these interesting diagonals. And the flowers really shine against the gold wall.

Are you going to paint this larger? I think it would make a very nice painting in a larger format as well. :)

Olga

Strawberry Wine
04-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Lovely Sylvia,

Nice composition and love the reds and whites against the wall as well. Wish we could see the greens but I can imagine them

I am using salt on some rocks in a painting I have started. Are you using a regular table salt or something else.

Gail

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Lovely job on this one. I like the whole thing.
JoAnn

artijan
04-21-2003, 09:12 PM
What a lovely job you've done of this Italian doorway. Love the colours and texture.

Jan :clap:

lyn lynch
04-21-2003, 10:19 PM
It's beautiful, Sylvia.
Interesting composition and good palette.
The texture is great. I can't get the hang of salting. :(

al22
04-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Very nice Sylvia.......... I think I'd like to see the vertical portion of the step one value darker.......... Not dark dark.........but just contrast a wee bit with the horizontal plane of steps.....
A point to ponder.......
.........al

Faafil
04-21-2003, 11:51 PM
nice fresh color... great texture on the wall.... very nice !! :clap:

painterbear
04-22-2003, 05:57 AM
Thanks for your kind words Char, JoAnn, Jan, and Faafil. I'm kind of pleased with the colors and the way the wall and pavement texture worked out on this one.

Olga, I will probably try this again in a larger format, especially since it is one of my own slides. Glad you liked it.

Gail, Thanks. I bought a box of Kosher salt to use with my watercolors. The grains of salt are larger and give a little more dimension to the painting than regular table salt does.

Fookie, I know what you mean. I've gotten up to about 30% success when I try it. It is like the story of Goldilocks—the paint can't be too moist, it can't be too dry, it has to be just damp enough before you sprinkle on the salt or it won't work.

Al, I think you are right about the risers on the stairs, I'll add another thin wash to shade them a little more, that should also make the step part look lighter. Thanks for the suggestion.

M.A.
04-22-2003, 06:26 AM
Beautiful!
:clap:

Giselle
04-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Nice one, Sylvia! I like the colors, especially the whites against the golden wall, and purple and violet complementing gold/orange.:clap: :clap:

mustcreate
04-22-2003, 10:48 AM
nice composition Sylvia. I like the purples in this little one :)

I like the texture of that wall but would enjoy some added to the lower right corner...it's looking a bit flat to me.

em

painterbear
04-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Mary-Ann, Thank you for looking. :p

Giselle, I like the way the colors in this painting turned out too.

Em, I've learned to use purple a lot more than to you, Pam, Ruth, and Uschi. It is certainly a lot nicer than plain old grey!

I'll work on that lower corner a little more, I see what you mean.

rapolina
04-22-2003, 11:36 AM
beautiful! :clap: :clap: very Italian!!!

ciao, rapolina.

noreenemc
04-22-2003, 12:22 PM
I LOVE the colors and subject but I'd like top see a little more variation/value in your shadows. It's hard to tell where the light is coming from.