PDA

View Full Version : Hydrangeas with Ballies

Uschi
04-21-2003, 03:39 PM
If any beginner watercolourists are looking at this, here is a learning experience. I was about 1/3rd into the painting and it looked ugly like sin. Couldn't even tell it was supposed to be a hydrangea. I was ready to ditch it, but then the little voice reminded me and said "remember, you have had many other fairly decent paintings go through this ugly stage". O.K. so I carried on and below is the end result. Moral of the story - never give up until absolutely sure that all is lost!!!!!!

Thanks for looking and all comments and suggestings invited!
Uschi

1/4 sheet

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/10602-Fancy_hydrangea.jpg

vestalqueen
04-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Wow. This really turned out beautifully! I couldn't see the image earlier - something went wacky with my browser. Thanks for showing us the end result!

Erin

mhimeswc
04-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Uschi,
This is gorgeous. Yes, I've had that happen too. I wish you had taken a photo of it at the "ugly" stage, so we could see what you transformed it from. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle

Brelaina
04-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Uschi - This is outstandingly gorgeous !

....can't imagine that your "ugly stage " looks as bad as my ugley stage -LOL!

You've focused on just the right amount of petals which to me would be hard to do with a hydrangea . Your leaves are lovely too.

Bravo !:clap: :clap:

Bre

babybrush
04-21-2003, 03:57 PM
this turned out great!! i'm glad you persevered.

Bethany

Olga
04-21-2003, 03:57 PM
WOW!

Beautiful! The purple hydrengea with the shadows and the light on them are gorgeous and the white balls are perfect behind them. The way that the flower flows into the background in the back is also just perfect.
I love it, Uschi.

I can't decide about the white doily in the corner, though... It's masterfully painted, but I am not sure whether it does not compete with the flower too much? A wash of very light blue perhaps, just to lower the contrast? (But then, that white looks so nice and fresh, so I maybe I should just keep quiet.)

Olga

BobH
04-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Wow, Uschi, this is really beautiful. I wish you had a post of the "ugly" stage, it would be interesting to see.

(My "ugly stage" is a little different than yours, mine is called "there, finished!") :D

Bob

tigre255
04-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Uschi, this is stunning, i really like it,.,......one of my favorite flowers.........

Know what you mean about the ugly stage........been there.....:rolleyes:

karenjh
04-21-2003, 04:00 PM
This is gorgeous! I love the flowers and the little white ones in between.

lyn lynch
04-21-2003, 04:10 PM
LOL, Bob, I gotta DITTO on that.

Beautifully, done Uschi. Now this is Hydrangea. JUust the correct amount of detail to show that it is. Love the little ballies intrusion and the lace cloth. Great composition [I know a good one, just can't paint one] LOL.

JanJones
04-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Very beautiful, thank's for sharing your experience, will save the bad ones for awhile.

painterbear
04-21-2003, 04:31 PM
Uschi,

Glad you kept going past the "teenage" stage of your painting, your hydrangea turned out beautifully. I especially like how you showed the unopened parts of the blossom mixed in with the opened ones.

I was confused by the doily in the lower right side, so I tend to agree with Olga about that part of the painting, but I really like the flowers a lot.

I planted a Japanese hydrangea last year. They form a flat flower instead of the ball of the regular hydrangea. Can't wait til they bloom and I can take some reference photos this year. They have a long way to go before I can do that though.

Uschi
04-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Erin, Bethany, Barb and Karenj - THANK YOU!!!!

Thanks Michelle - yes, I should have, never even occured to me to take a photo
Bre, thank you!!! That's what you think, believe me, there is no false modesty in me, I meant it when I said ugly as sin

Olga - thank you!! and you know what, I agree with you re lace. As a matter of fact was going to ask what people thought about it but then forgot to add this question. SO, NEVER KEEP QUIET WHEN YOU HAVE GOOD INFO TO SHARE!!!!!

I don't know about the blue glaze, I too like the white, so will try my trusted scrubbing brush first and see what happens.

Bob and Fookie - ha, ha, ha, still laughing re your interpretation of "ugly" and thank you both!!!!
Uschi

Oh Jan, just saw your reply. Yes, you do that! Thank you!

Annetta
04-21-2003, 04:36 PM
GORGEOUS USCHI!!! I would have loved to have seen it at the point you were ready to give up. Just beautiful and it certainly is 'fodder' for us beginners to not despair too quickly when we think about tossing our paintings on the 'discard" pile.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Starsprite
04-21-2003, 04:43 PM
WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Absolutely gorgeous Uschi!!!! I love these flowers! I'm glad you decided to keep going and didnt give up on this! I know how you feel though, I feel that way about almost every painting I do! :) :clap: :clap:

CharM
04-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by painterbear
Uschi,

Glad you kept going past the "teenage" stage of your painting, your hydrangea turned out beautifully. I especially like how you showed the unopened parts of the blossom mixed in with the opened ones.

I was confused by the doily in the lower right side, so I tend to agree with Olga about that part of the painting, but I really like the flowers a lot.

Ditto... Teenagers grow up (they really, honestly do) and move on... Your painting is a forever thing! Great therapy too! LOL

Having a little trouble with the beautifully painted doily. I like it, then I don't... I like it, then I don't... I suspect it's competing with the blossom for my attention...

Loki
04-21-2003, 05:56 PM
I too would have liked to see how the painting was like before you decided to infuse a second life in it... Right now, it's beautiful as it is!

Love the colors.

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 06:06 PM
You have really kept the colours and freshness in this painting. Well handled!

Paul

Strawberry Wine
04-21-2003, 06:52 PM
BEAUTIFUL Uschi!!! I had never seen this type of hydrangea before with the little ballies in the center until this year or maybe I did and thought they were unopened blossoms.

Not sure about the doilie either. To tell the truth, I was so inthralled with the flower that I missed it completely and had to go take a second look, with a What doilie? I didn't see a doilie!!!

I can't imagine the ugly stage. Moral here is take a photo of ugly stage if it should happen again. I ditched a hydrangea painting not too long ago. It was way past ugly, it was definitely dead with not a sparkle of life but I would be interested to see what stage is the "ugly"

Gail

P.S. I would love to see a tutorial of a rose or whatever floral explaining the step by step procedure you use. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gail

Gail

Lulu
04-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the 'beginner' encouragement Ushci. I have put gesso over many of my ugly attempts and then painted over in acrylics!

Your painting is beautiful.

M.A.
04-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Your painting is stunning!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 08:07 PM
I love the flowers and the doily. Not sure about them together.
JoAnn

Uschi
04-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Hi Annetta, Patti, Lylvia, Char, Loki, Paul, Lulu and fun2cook and thank you all so much for looking and your nice words.

To answer the doilie concern, I scrubbed the heck out of it and it is now a very light blue and not so invasive.

Gail, thank you - re when is ugly ugly? Well one when it looks dirty which by now thank God doesn' happen too often any more, and secondly, when I can't recognize what the heck I am painting which is what happened here. HA!
Uschi

artijan
04-21-2003, 09:44 PM
Absolutely beautiful painting, Uschi. I just planted one of these this year.

Jan

suzpaints
04-21-2003, 10:24 PM
beautiful painting!

and great advice on getting past that ugly stage!!!

that reminds me - I have a few 'uglies' I should take another look at! lol.

Susie. :)

Faafil
04-21-2003, 11:48 PM
beautiful painting ! can't imagine where the ugly was, but it's a beauty now...very nice !!

rapolina
04-22-2003, 04:47 AM
really lovely! I like the flower and laces as well: beautiful composition!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
ciao, rapolina.

ripvanblair
04-22-2003, 04:58 AM
Very intense colours, glad you stuck with it-------------well done----------Alan

Uschi
04-22-2003, 07:40 AM
Jan, Susie, Faafil, Rapolina and Alan - Thank you!!!!!! Your nice comments are much appreciated!!!!!!
Uschi

Crystal Owl
04-22-2003, 08:05 AM
Beautiful Uschi! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Irene

Sandy1
04-22-2003, 08:55 AM
WOW. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I am such a fan of yours.
Sandy

els
04-22-2003, 09:05 AM
Great result, glad you didn't give up...

minov
04-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Beautiful, Uschi!
colors are gorgeous, shadows and texture, and beautiful composition!! Bravo!!:clap:

mindy

Giselle
04-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Uschi, it's stunning! Your florals always turn out amazing. It's hard to imagine the ugly stage. You are so right about not giving up in the middle of painting. I tend to go through "I hate this" stage with almost every of my paintings.:)

mustcreate
04-22-2003, 10:54 AM
Uschi!!

Uschi!!

GORGEOUS!!!

I bought my Mom a hydrangea for Easter and I took a whole whack of photos to paint someday :) I thought those petals were to intricate to paint but you've given me hope!!

em

surreal
04-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Very beautiful image!

Uschi
04-22-2003, 04:23 PM
Irene, Els, Mindy, Giselle and Nina - Thanks you, your responses are so encouraging and uplifting!!!

Sandi - Thank you and vice versa!!!!!!

Em - Thank you!! The individual flowers aren't hard but it's so easy to lose your place with all the inbetween stuff. Did you buy a hydrange with ballies too? If you run out of pictures I have more HA!
Uschi

madmum
05-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Uschi I missed this!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad I went exploring, your hydrangea with ballies is the most beautiful painting of a hydrangea I've seen! Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, hydrangea with ballies is a Lacecap Hydrangea, and I have one in my garden too :D

Ruth

mpopinz
05-08-2003, 01:04 PM
These are very beautiful. The colors are vibrant, yet soothing. Very nice work.

Gilberte
05-08-2003, 01:23 PM
Uschi ........ the shade of blue is wonderful ... as it the rest !

pampe
05-08-2003, 01:58 PM
FANTASTICISIOUS

WOW

How did I miss this?

GREAT WORK:clap: :clap: :clap: