PDA

View Full Version : Commission - trouble getting started...

Suzy78
04-21-2003, 03:10 PM
Well, I have a commission to do, and I'm having trouble getting started. The person who wants me to do this gave me total artistic license...I get to pick the medium (colored pencil, oil, or watercolor) and the size! The only specificiations he gave me are that the finished piece is to be bigger than an 8 x 10, but not huge and to take out the lead and hand.

Suggestions to get started?

Suzy:confused: :confused: :confused:

kitaye
04-21-2003, 04:23 PM
I would suggest you flip the horse to facing right rather than left. For some reason it feels more balanced that way.

I took your reference image and I used IrfanView to flip and crop the image to show you my suggestion. I would also remove the Barbed wire fence. Either have her standing in a field or put a nice board fence behind her. I do like the trees behind her so maybe a nice board fence would be better.

Suzy78
04-21-2003, 05:42 PM
I like the way it's cropped now. I haven't decided whether or not I will put a fence behind her. She's not standing square either, and she's a very well balanced mare. I think I will make her stand square, which should help with her lopsidedness in the reference picture. I'm going to try a few sketches and post them soon.

Suzy

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Suzy I'm not a horsey person by I will be looking forward to seeing how you get on with this. I am about to start my first ever horse so watching you if you don't mind that is will help me.

Paul

Suzy78
04-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Feel free to watch, Paul! The 3 paints running is a great step by step WIP Stephanie is doing right now, too.

I decided that this mare, who's in foal and not standing square, is not showing her best side anymore, so I cropped the picture and am thinking about doing it in an oval...what do you think of the attached composition?

Suzy

echidna
04-21-2003, 06:21 PM
i like your crop job! may i suggest colored macaroni as a medium?:p well, you've already proven that you can do palominos in cp...i think this one would look good on black paper!
~Echidna

Suzy78
04-21-2003, 06:28 PM
I bet he would be surprised if I handed him a piece done in macaroni! However, since he gave me complete artistic license...:evil: Better be careful what you tell people when you order a commission! :)

Suzy

crazeejumper
04-21-2003, 07:10 PM
Wow, what a beautiful mare! I say: use the medium you are most comfortable with! I like the crop. Now get started!! :p

Pippin
04-21-2003, 07:24 PM
I like the crop of the head.You have a nice clear picture of a lovely mare to work with.Will look forward to seeing your progress with this.

Suzy78
04-22-2003, 08:50 PM
Critiques welcome throughout this project! Please let me know what you think so far. I'll post updates as I have time to work on this, since it's coming to the end of the semester.

This is on Canson Mi Tientes paper 9 x 12 inches, will be a colored pencil.

Suzy

PS: I enhanced the contrast in Photoshop, so the background color is off. It's a kind of buff/beige color from Canson.

pencils4me
04-23-2003, 01:25 AM
hey Suzy STOP!!!!!

This is a beautiful mare and i really like both crops but when you flip a photo you can NOT flip her markings!!!!

hope your not to far into it !

good luck

TJ

Paul Hopkinson
04-23-2003, 04:28 AM
Suzy this will look great, nice start. I do agree about the problem with fliping a photo as mentioned by pencils4me.

Paul

lawsportraits
04-23-2003, 07:51 AM
Hi There Suzy,

Just one thing before you start your painting. I see you have flipped the image of the mare. If this is so you will have to reverse her markings too, especially the marking on her nose. It's easy to forget these things:(

Heather:D reverse her markings too

lawsportraits
04-23-2003, 08:01 AM
I'd like to just offer my opinion here. Before you flip her image I would clear it with the customer first. They may prefer to see her the way she was photographed originally. As far as I'm concerned she looks awesome just the way she was in the original photograph. Doing all this flipping and reversing all her markings may just be more unnessary work for you.

Heather:D

lawsportraits
04-23-2003, 08:08 AM
Me again. Oopps! Sorry for being repetative. I see someone already mentioned in an earlier post about reversing the markings.

Heather:rolleyes:

Suzy78
04-23-2003, 09:47 PM
Um...I didn't flip her markings, but I had to flip the painting in Fireworks when I scanned it because I put it in the scanner wrong! Here's the correct drawing! (How embarrassing that I didn't notice when I posted it!!!!)

Suzy:D

pencils4me
04-25-2003, 10:29 AM
lol!

thats ok.. I wondered why you did this head and chest shot and then flipped it again LOL!

sometimes flipping is good sometimes its not. not only do you have to adjust markings then, but also what side the mane lays on too!

going to have an update on this mare soon? she sure is pretty!

TJ

Suzy78
04-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Update AFTER I finish re-writing the equine nutrition lectures for a class! They haven't been updated in several years, and guess who the lucky candidate is who is doing it. :)

Suzy

Suzy78
04-27-2003, 01:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/16097-stanza_cp_head.jpg

This is where I'm at with this comission. It's Prismacolor colored pencil on Mi Tientes paper. Please critique and let me know what I need to work on. :) Thanks!

Suzy

lawsportraits
04-27-2003, 03:48 PM
hI sUZY,

i'M SEEING SOME PROPORTION PROBLEMS. First, *her* left ear comes out too far. If you look at the photo, take a ruler and line up the the back of the ear and the bulge of her eye, these two should line up. If you place the ruler on your drawing you will see the these two elements don't line up. Also her right eye looks as if it's shut and her right nostril is a bit lower than it should be. It's important during the rendering process to always check and make sure everything continues to line up correctly, otherwise you will lose your likeness. One feature out of place throws everything off.

Hope this helps

Heather

Suzy78
04-27-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi, Heather. I see what you mean about the left ear, but I changed that intentionally from the photo because the guy and I agreed it looked funny. This mare is getting past her prime, and I was supposed to make her look a little younger if I could. Since it's CP, I'm not sure how I'm going to fix it!

Help, equine artists?!

Suzy

shedreamsbig
04-27-2003, 06:13 PM
A beautiful mare and a beautiful portrait!

About working with colored pencil??? So I won't try to help but I will tell you, in my opinion your doing great.

Christina

Suzy78
04-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Thanks, Christina! I showed it to the individual who requested it, and he LOVED it. He's asked me to do a full body of her, too. :) I guess he didn't notice how awful it was. :p

Suzy

lawsportraits
04-28-2003, 03:17 PM
OK! I never said it was awful. Just trying to help 'cause help was asked for.

Heather