PDA

View Full Version : Tree Essence

surreal
04-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Hi All~
This is in gouache on 300 lb. paper and is 7" x 6.75".
I am not completely pleased with it, but hope to do better in my next painting. ;)
All crits are welcome, both pos & neg.

coffee_girl3000
04-21-2003, 02:27 PM
Title fits this, and indeed all your tree paintings, wonderfully. You capture the natural movement and spirit of trees I think, in your paintings. Bottom branches look like hair - maybe what you aren't sure about? But I like it very much.

surreal
04-21-2003, 03:49 PM
Sarah,
Thanks so much for your feedback.
:D

Actually I had another concern about the tree (not the one you mentioned), but I thank you for mentioning the lower branches.

Loki
04-21-2003, 05:53 PM
I like this one, it's well balanced and full of movment... It kind of reminds me about a short story by Brian Lumley I read ages ago.

Very nice! :D

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 08:39 PM
I love it! Your peoples hair and your tree branches are so similar.
JoAnn

M.A.
04-21-2003, 09:34 PM
This tree doesn't have as much depth as your other work. But I still like it very much!

Laura Tasheiko
04-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Hello Surreal! You've definately captured the 'essence of tree' in this one! I like that the trunk is a bit off-centered, making the composition a little more asymmetircal, which I find more interesting. The shapes, colors, patterning, and style are wonderful. Just wish it was bigger :D Thanks for showing us. L

lyn lynch
04-21-2003, 10:14 PM
I have yet to see a piece of your work which I do not like, and
this is no exception. I love your work period.

Great tiny tree-head.

Bill J
04-21-2003, 10:29 PM
I like your work, in fact so much that I've just purchased one of your works on Ebay. I can't wait to get it matted and framed. I guess this should be one of the ultimate compliments.
bill

CharM
04-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Your trees are always... provocative... You make me think about them... This one is no different... I immediately thought about graceful movement... I visited your website... You have a very impressive body of work!!!

Aselka
04-21-2003, 10:44 PM
I love your conceptual paintings. I agree with Laura comment about size. I find that your style would be more visible and benefit from larger sizde pieces.

Aselka

al22
04-21-2003, 11:15 PM
O, I like the curly, hangy down symbols on this one............Nice Nina............!
.........al

surreal
04-22-2003, 12:47 AM
Loki & JoAnn,
Thanks so much for commenting. :)

Mary-Ann,
Thanks for your comments. :)
I will look at the tree more closely and try to determine why it is lacking in depth. I appreciate your honesty.
:)

Laura & Aselka - Thanks so much for your comments. I will try to paint on a larger scale, but I don't think it will happen soon. ;)
:)

fookie - You are too kind. :)

Bill - Aha! - So you are the Bill who purchased my red tree drawing!!! Thanks so much. :) You are correct - purchasing one's work of art is the ultimate compliment.

CharM - Thank you so much. :)

Thank you, Al, for your feedback. :)