PDA

View Full Version : Just a silly question

wayfarer
04-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Nothing scientific or earth-shattering here. Just curious if anyone with a cat has noticed this. Seems that no matter where my cat is, when the palette cover comes off and I put it on the floor, there she is, rubbing against it, falling asleep inside it. Must be some pigment she likes that draws her from afar. Anyone else notice this with their pet(s)?

wayfarer

bswilson1147
04-21-2003, 01:10 PM
My female cat LOVES brushes--anybody's. She likes to lie down on them and she carries them around in her mouth and meows. She doesn't bother the paint.

Christie
04-21-2003, 01:12 PM
I keep my palettes away from my beagles for just this reason! :D I use a folding palette, so I do not have a cover for them to curl up on, but they are always interested in my art bag...

The puppy has been known to eat art work (specifically watercolours), but I had always put it down to the fact that I use M Graham paints and they have honey in them...

It's nice to know that it's not just my girls who do this.

vestalqueen
04-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Well, it's not my palette, but my paper they seem attracted to. If I happen to go freshen my coffee, for example, my youngest, Listerine, will come and plant her butt on my painting. Doesn't matter that it's wet. Nooooo. Oh, and Princess Stinky likes to come and monitor my every brush stroke. Up close and personal. Sticking her head right over what I'm working on.

Noxzema and Chunky Boy could care less.

Erin

KansasLady
04-21-2003, 02:21 PM
I always thought the reason cats behaved like this was that they wanted to be your focus, not whatever it is you are focused on. Therefore, they sit on the keyboard when you type, or check out the piano keys when you play.

But I'm not sure that explains the carrying brushes around the house no matter whose brushes they are.

lyn lynch
04-21-2003, 02:39 PM
Beautiful Kitty who died 02.25.03 [:crying: ] would lie on anything that suddenly appeared on the floor--be it the newspaper, a plastic bag, fabric for laying out the pattern, a palette cover--anything, it's hers.

She loved to chew brush tips. I don't think this had anything to do w/animal content, i.e., squirrel hair, sable, because she do this w/acrylic as well; the point is just good shape for chew. But mostly she like to chew on my arm.

She loved paint water. I have to put screen over paint water if she is lying on my work table.

When she wanted attention she attempt to walk over my keyboard and get on my painting.

I didn't analyze any of this, just enjoyed her and all her behaviors and miss her so much.

[edit] I am not intending to throw a bummer in this thread because obviously I participated and enjoy the subject matter, but it should have been posted in the Cafe Community, since not specifically a Watercolor post. No, I am not being a mommy either, just this forum moves so fast w/work that this post goes off page one before others interested can become involved.

Aselka
04-21-2003, 03:33 PM
I have two Siberians. They seem indifferent to my art. Actually they hate smell of acrylics and paint water.
But they stole few times my erasers (soft and usual ones). I caught them destroying them spreading little peices around.
I think they were atrracted to smell of rubber. It probably reminded them their toys.

Aselka

talkingbanana
04-21-2003, 03:35 PM
I've never had any problems with my cat bothering my stuff. Well, except for that roll of paper towels she shredded up, but that's not really a big deal.

I wonder why cats are like that . . . :cat:

dspinks
04-22-2003, 11:44 AM
My cat loves my little natural sponge. She picks it up and runs down the hall with her head high - I think she thinks it's a mouse. She also goes for my wash mops. And she loves to lap at my paint water, whether clean or dirty. Do you think cat saliva will affect my paintings over time?

Debra

silysara
04-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Ok, I jsut have to comment on some of these names!! Listerine??NOXZEMA?? Princess stinky!!! I LOVE IT!!
Such a creative mind!

Sara

wayfarer
04-22-2003, 12:03 PM
I feel so good knowing my cat isn't the only one with a watercolor obsession! I remember reading in Nita Engle's book about this elaborate blockades she has over her studio area to keep her cats out. We're not alone!

wayfarer

CharM
04-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Sorry Fookie... had to respond...

My son's cat can be anywhere in the house and when I open my pallette, there he is just as bold as brass. He chews on my brushes. He tries to drink my paint water. I cannot find my sea sponge or my eraser... I thought we had a weird cat...