PDA

View Full Version : Photos of my art on canvas

lvcolor
02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Hello. Haven't been her for a while. Good to be back! Does anyone know of
an affordable photo to canvas online service? I just completed a painting and would like to take a photo and upload it so I can also have prints on canvas available for sale, as well as my originals. I've researched companies, but they're so expensive to have printed that I would have to charge a fortune for a canvas print just to make a small profit. They are only 12 x 24 but some of the companies are charging $50. and above for this size which I think is crazy. I wanted to sell the prints for much cheaper than that. If anyone can recommend a company where I can order in bulk and get them made at a more reasonable price, I'd appreciate it so much! Thanks!

Rick G
02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Pricing in the giclee business varies quite a bit, but you have to be sure that you understand what is included in the price. The cost to print and varnish a canvas typically ranges from $15 to $20 or more per square foot. Depending on the company, the cost per square foot may decrease for larger sized prints and there is often a price break for ordering multiple copies. If you are wanting a gallery wrapped finish, then you need to factor in the extra ink needed to print the edges of the canvas. If you are wanting to have the canvases stretched, that cost can often approach the cost of the printing due to the time and materials involved in having this done.

If you can find a company that is offering you a 12" x 24" stretched canvas for $50, that's a very good price. If you are only talking about the printing, then you can get it done for less, particularly if you are looking for a volume order.

idylbrush
02-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Have you considered shopping locally before the net. A good face to face relationship is worth a bundle in lack of headaches, pricing and community support.

Rick G
02-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Have you considered shopping locally before the net. A good face to face relationship is worth a bundle in lack of headaches, pricing and community support.

That's really good advice. One of the biggest problems in working with an online company is the logistics involved in getting a good representation of the painting. The printer doesn't have access to the original, so they're trusting that the image capture is color-accurate, while it usually isn't. Sending proofs back and forth through the mail is time consuming and can get expensive. Having someone local do the work can save you a lot of problems.

lvcolor
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the advice!

CILYRCA
07-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I am starting to look for a place to have canvas prints made as well. I did find a local place that is expensive but they are retail prices so I will see if they also have wholesale pricing. Has anyone used Costco? I would like to know what their quality is like, as well as Fine Art America.

Rick G
07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
I had one artist bring a canvas to me to be redone that she had printed at Costco. The colors were way off and the print was dull and dark. The reason it costs more to have a giclee service do the job is that it takes time and materials to get the colors right.