PDA

View Full Version : Need scanning help

sportpony
04-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Thought I would post this here as I've seen so many very good scans of pencil studies of animals and that's what I'm having trouble with.

What is the best resolution to scan my work at so as much detail as possible shows but it will still load quickly enough for people to actually wait and look?

At this point I'm wanting to do things like post WIP here for critiques and to put up a simple Geocities page of some of my current things. Any suggestions very gratefully received!

myorca
04-21-2003, 12:10 PM
I scan all my images at 300dpi. I then save the original scan and then resize the image to get as close to the size limits of the forum (i think are 500x600) and save that image as a jpg.

Most of my original scans are 25 meg files and after resizing they run about 150 k or so.

hope it helps,
bob

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Bob beat me to it! I do exactly the same as he does. So as he say's scan at 300 dpi on normal settings, go into PhotoShop, Paint Shop Pro or similar and re-size to about 500. When re-sizing maintain aspect ratio if it asks and set the biggest size of the picture to 600dpi. Then you will find that one square inch doesn't fill your screen!

Paul