PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Tethered Horse

AriadneArts
04-21-2003, 06:27 AM
Studied with a Japanese Sume-e master 30 years ago for 6 months before he was called back to Japan on an emergency and never returned to the US.

I kept it up for maybe a year or so more, and then, what with college, and other interests, I gradually dropped it.

I've been painting for the last couple of years, mainly in pastels, including oil pastels, which I found very satisfying. But for some reason, for a recent postcard project, I found myself painting in sumi and watercolor again. And I found it very satisifying. Don't really know why after all those years. Guess that muse decided to visit me again. :D

So I dug out my old Chinese and Japanese name stamps and got to work. Thought I'd share a few of the pieces I've done here in the watercolor forum, for your comments, and also to check out what you all have been doing. I started in the Animal/Wildlife forum, branched out to the Drawing/Sketching and then to Pastels. I began taking photos to paint from, and very quickly began taking photos to take photos. So, the past year or so, I've been mainly in the photo forum. Never spent any time at all in the watercolor forum. Well here I am ready to get my feet wet (pun intended). :D

Anyway, I thought I should begin sharing some of my work in the appropriate forums. All critiques, comments and suggestions welcome and encouraged. Thanks for looking. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/6306-pc_4_horse.jpg

Sumi on 140lb

M.A.
04-21-2003, 07:23 AM
Hi Eileen,

I have your watercolour and ink painting of the arbour with the roses tumbling over it from pc#4 and am certain that your participation will be happily received here in the watercolour forum!

I especially love this postcard and I think your work is wonderful.

Could you tell us a bit more about the sumi method you are using at this time?

CharM
04-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Hi Eileen... I gave a set of sumi brushes, ink/stone and stamps to my sister for Christmas... She's at a loss, though... She would especially like this painting, as she and her husband raise horses... I really like the feel of this... Beautifully done!!

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Welcome to the watercolor forum, I like this painting a lot. Hope to see more.
I know how it is going from one thing to another and back again.
JoAnn

AriadneArts
04-21-2003, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the lovely comments, Fun2Cook, Char and JoAnn.

As for my Sumi "technique" (LOL), it's been a long time. I do, however, hold the brush in the requisite vertical style. I find that does give the most control. And Chinese/Japanese brushes are a necessity, because they really have the capability of holding a huge amount of water and ink. Western wc technique is really completely different.

I'm using liquid sumi these days, as I'm way past the young purist days of ink grinding. :D Many modern Asian painters in this style also use liquid ink. Get the best you can afford. Make sure it is Chinese or Japanese. India ink is not satisfactory for this type of work. I'm currently using a brand called "Yasutomo" which comes in a bottle with a pouring spout.

I'm also incorporating western techniques into my sumi paintings. I'm using WN tube colors, or often Yarka cakes (which are not hard, always remain tacky and the colors are great). For very fine detail, I will use a western rigger.

One word of warning though, if you're planning to mount Asian style, use Chinese or Japanese pigments. These will not bleed when re-wet for mounting, whereas the western colors tend to.

That's about it. Hope it helps.

futurebird
02-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Woah nice horse. I want to try some horses, but I need to se some real ones before I try (I forget what they look like and if I copy a photo it'll be flat)

Next time leave out the outline of the body. Just use the shadow to define the horse. Forget the wisdom of sumi and cheat-- outline it with a pencil first!