PDA

View Full Version : Little black book

Aselka
04-21-2003, 04:32 AM
It is again about preleminary scetching. Many people paint spontaneously without planning and there are some , who plan. I'm a planner. I do doodle and paint spontaneous small pieces, but I always plan large paintings for my portfolio or for sale.

I wanted to share my little black book approach.
Usually I plan in advance 4-5 paintings per week.
At first I collect ideas from my surroundings or from our wonderful reference image libarary. Next step is scetching composition in my book. After it is done I start thinking about implementation: size, colors, technique etc. I might revise composition.
It sound tedious and time taking (almost like a job, rather than fun), but it usually take about an hour per week to plan and I do enjoy the process.

Do you plan?
There is an example of my planning (my projects to paint for the next week)

Aselka

Yorky
04-21-2003, 05:19 AM
Its a great idea, Aselka, to get the composition sorted out before you start.

I often do this when painting plein aire - you can't paint everything!

Doug

ptantono
04-21-2003, 05:27 AM
A very good planning Aselka !
I dont really plan mine as what you did so precise. When I choose something to paint, I will print the pic or save it as screen saver, looking at it for weeks, thinking of the composition and colors that I might change. I wish I have more time to plan and search the ref.library. Thanks for sharring your little black book Aselka.

Rgds,
Patricia

M.A.
04-21-2003, 07:17 AM
Thanks for sharing your little black book Aselka. I love looking at images from people's sketch books, they read like a journal to me.

I've been sketching all over the place for a long time but finally, over the weekend I bought a new sketch book (my little green book?) and so I'm trying to develop these skills too.

Also, this would make a really good poll here on WC!

Aselka
04-21-2003, 05:05 PM
THank you very much for your feedback.
I try to be more organized in order to start "real" career in painting, so I decided to plan everything.

Mary-Ann, indeed it would make a great poll, but I do not know how to post a poll so if anyone interested to start a poll it would be great.

Aselka

Loki
04-21-2003, 05:58 PM
That's something I do with my school projects... I also try to incorporate some color at this stage, to see what will work and will not.

I'm much less organized than you, though.

Christie
04-21-2003, 09:27 PM
What a great idea!

You are far more organized than I am.

I may incorporate this into my daily routine because I forever seeing things that I want to draw and my memory is not so great at retaining the sights I see. :)

M.A.
04-21-2003, 09:30 PM
Aselka - polls are easy to do ... there's a little check box at the bottom where you set up a new post, just check it and when you submit, it takes you to a new page where you can type in your poll question ... think about it, you should do it.
:)

Sylvielu
04-21-2003, 09:46 PM
I have a lot of sketch books around. I sometimes sketch an object in advance. In fact I think my sketches look better than the paintings. I use to sketch everything before painting.

Most of my work comes from photos I have. I spend more time looking at the photo and thinking about how I want to do it. Then I sketch directly on the paper and try to erase lines as I paint.

I suppose I would do more value studies if I got a commission.