PDA

View Full Version : Daily Wash, Monday, April 21

rks
04-21-2003, 03:42 AM
Omigosh, I'm all alone here tonight so thought I would start the Daily Wash. I checked twice while I was browsing and my name was the only one listed. That's never happened before to me. Sure is lonely here without you guys!! I can practically hear my voice echoing in the silence. Most likely you've all had too much Easter dinner.

Had a pretty quiet day here and finally finished the detailed pencil sketch of my husband's portrait. Funny, it's probably the face I know the best, but that sure didn't make it easier to sketch. Getting him to sit still to pose for me was also a bit of a challenge. No reference photo for this one. For the moment (lol) I'm quite pleased with the sketch and eager to begin painting it tomorrow.

Off to bed for me. For those of you with Easter Monday off, have a good sleep in. Happy painting to all of you.

Roberta:cat:

Astur
04-21-2003, 04:00 AM
Good morning everybody:

Well, finish the holidays, then a hard week, I need to made a big offer for a customer before friday, then I will be very busy those days. My holidays,wonderful, I really enjoy that quiet and relaxing days. My new camera is a gift, I took more that 400 pics, I have a reference photo for more that a live!!!. I decide to choose someones and share whit all of us. All are token in Oviedo or arounds, with clodys and raining days. I plan to upload most of it to Reference library, but it will be a long-time work... hope you enjoy..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/3741-asturias1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/3741-asturias2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/3741-asturias3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/3741-asturias4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/3741-asturias5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/3741-asturias6.jpg

well, I tried to select someones, and put it in little size in order do not freeze the thread load. If someone nedd a more large image or want some comments about those pics, please let me know.

See you

Yorky
04-21-2003, 05:11 AM
Good morning Roberta, good morning Astur,

Look forward to seeing your hubby's portrait, Roberta.

Wonderful photographs, Astur - you now have no excuse not to paint :evil:

The fun of digital cameras is that you can check your pictures and recompose them if necessary. And of course you are taking photos witha painter's eye.

Rained overnight and a little dull here, but it promises to improve - always the way in the UK :D

Must try and get some painting done today!

Cheers!

Doug

BobH
04-21-2003, 06:17 AM
'morning, all!

Not much going on today. It's Patriots Day in MA and the Boston Marathon will be running, starting around noon. I have some furniture to move around but nothing much else planned. Maybe I'll get to paint. I did two paintings this weekend but I can't share them because I don't have a scanner and my daughter took her digital camera to Florida with her!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

btw, great pictures Hector!!

ttfn

Bob

painterbear
04-21-2003, 06:36 AM
Good Morning all,

It is almost 6:30 a.m. here in Ohio and the sky outside my window is streaked with dark gray clouds. It rained quite a bit last night (good for the grass!) and it looks like we may get more this morning. Temps are supposed to be lower today too.

I was hoping to get some seeds in the garden, lettuce and parsley, at least so we can harvest some before it gets hot and the lettuce bolts. Maybe I can sneak out before the rains begin again.

I have a painting drawn out and plan to put some paints on it today. It is a stairwell and walkway lined with flowers from a photo I took in Paestum, south of Naples, a few years ago. I'm going to try to keep it looser than I normally paint--I know that I'll never paint "loose." all I can hope for is "looser."

I'm also going to make a traditional bread today that my father's family always made at Eastertime. It is called Crecia (sp?) and has 4 different kinds of cheeses in it—parmesan, pecarino romano, provelone, and asiago, orange zest, cracked pepper, lots of eggs, yeast, and flour. It is delicious with salami and ham. I make it once a year, then wrap sections in foil, freeze it, and we stretch our enjoyment out throughout the whole year. I think it is good to keep traditions alive, don't you?

Hector, your photos are really wonderful. I copied a couple of them to put in my folder of possible painting subjects, I hope that is ok. Glad your vacation was a good one and you are all rested and ready to go back to work again.

Hope everyone had a good holiday.

See you later

M.A.
04-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Roberta - Looking forward to seeing your sketch and painting of your husband.

There seems to be a lot of portrait interest in watercolour -- maybe we should do a watercolour portrait exchange too? Just a thought. I know I certainly need the practice!

Hector - Wow! These pics are gorgeous! Can't wait to visit your section of the reference library when you upload these images! I'm really happy you have a digital camera! I too have a few (not as many or even as nice as yours) ref pics I'd like to upload but I still haven't figured out that process. Best I can do is upload to my notepad on this site. One of these days...

Doug - looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Bob - are you a runner? Will you be watching the race at all?

Ruth - that bread sounds delicious.

Have a great day everyone! Happy watercolour!

CharM
04-21-2003, 07:37 AM
Good morning everyone...

Our Easter celebration was a small one this year, but we still managed to eat too much! I did get my hot cross buns made... We had brunch with my parents and my sister and her family. I finished up my second attempt at Columbine and then we watched the Ten Commandments...again.

The sun is shining and it looks like it's going to be a very nice day. We had a storm through here last night that brought some hail with it. So early in the season, hail has nothing to damage, but it's nasty nonetheless. That little bit of rain has made the buds pop on the trees and the grass has become that beautiful verdant green that's so beautiful in the spring.

Roberta, I look forward to the portrait of your hubby...

Astur, those are great photos.

Doug, happy painting.

Bob, not running?

Sylvia, that bread sounds devine! Can you pm the recipe to me?

Have a great day everyone!

CharM
04-21-2003, 07:41 AM
Mary-Ann, we cross posted... How's the weather on the East Coast? Have a good day!!!!

M.A.
04-21-2003, 07:46 AM
Hi Char - yup, we crossed paths. We've got sun here today! Glad to see you have sunshine today too. The hail sounded nasty. Have a great day Char!
:cool:

Uschi
04-21-2003, 07:53 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!! My thinking isn't very creative first thing in the morning maybe think of something more exciting later on. Heard on the radio that we can expect rain that will turn into snow flakes tomorrow. More painting time!!!!!!

Hector these photos are wonderful. Too bad I am not into landscape painting.

Have a great day everyone!!!!
Uschi

Strawberry Wine
04-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Good Day to All:

We had such a beautiful day yesterday, the sun shined all day, the weather was warm and I started clearing the perennial bed of last years growth, raked some leaves, cut back the roses and planted a few pansies in a container on the deck. It sure felt good to be outside. I started a painting of a Cranberry bog and granit rocks I uploaded from a Provincial Park website. It is in Killarney Provincial Park and I am sure that I have a photo similar somewhere but darned if I can find it.

Hector What beautiful photos. Looking forward to seeing more of them .

Mary Ann: I created a new sub folder in " My Documents" on the computer which I call "Art for Web" When I download a photo or scan it I save it as Save As such and such in that folder as a jpeg file. When I scan a painting or reference photo I do the size alteration in Photoshop and also download it to there and then it is easy to find for posting here. Hope that helps a bit

Doug: How is your back?

Char : We had a a good downpour last night but no hail and the grass does look greener.

Sylvia: Looking forward to seeing the stairway.

Roberta: Also looking forward to seeing your portrait.

I am heading out to work soon and hope everyone has a great day doing whatever they would like to be doing

Gail

Yorky
04-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Strawberry Wine
Doug: How is your back?
Gail

On the mend thanks, Gail. Still got sciatica, but the pain is easing.

Glad you managed to get some gardening done - thank goodness my little plot is almost maintenance free.

Doug

babybrush
04-21-2003, 08:33 AM
well it looks like the wash is well on its way to getting busy as usual.

i donated a couple of older paintings that were just hanging around to an auction for a private school my friend's kid goes to. she was thrilled and i was happy that they were finally going to have a home. even if i don't get a scrap of money, they will at least be sold. good cause and good exposur

have great day everyone. i gotta go check out what yall have all been painting.

Bethany

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 08:53 AM
Good day all. Wet and cool! Teeth cleaning this aft. Jusy realized that our Art League show items have to be in tomorrow so have to try and get something together.
Wonderful pictures Hector. Anyone one of them would make a great painting.
Bob get a scanner!
A watercolor portrait project sounds like a great idea. Couldn't get in the other one.
Sylvia I think yo need to do a recipe book for us, Everything you make sounds delicious.
Char we had one hail storm that ruined our roof and two cars .
Have a good day.
JoAnn

artmom
04-21-2003, 09:10 AM
Good morning! Woke to thunder about 7:00 am.

I'm so excited! My daughter-in-law won the Ebay auction for the painting jti did "Island Sunshine." Jti donated the proceeds to WetCanvas--I think that is a great idea and, obviously, so does my daughter-in-law! Now, I get to help her mat and frame it:D

Astur, photos are wonderful!!

Doug, take care of your back!

It was great reading about everyone's weekend yesterday and today--now back to painting, I hope.:)

Happy painting!

Lyn

pampe
04-21-2003, 09:36 AM
morning, all

glad your holiday was pleasant

WONDERFUL PHOTOS, Hector...I for one will be zipping them off the RIL

You know, of all my paintings, the European and abstracts sell best...go figure~

Off to the doctor for a "halter monitor" test which will keep me out of the pool this week , I am afraid

We are travelling Thursday...so I hesitate to start anything big....it's always weird before a trip for me....

Have a wonderful day

Sunny and 70 here today...WAHOOOOOO

Pam

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 09:42 AM
OK Pam what is a halter monitor test?
Where are you going?
JoAnn

mustcreate
04-21-2003, 09:56 AM
good day all!!

supposed to be a glorious warm day here and I welcome it :) hopefully that will inspire me to get outside and do a bit of clean up around the yard before my trip on Thursday. I dread the thought of coming home in two weeks to grotty flower beds and matted yard. :rolleyes:

I have a ton of things to do before Thursday and I feel like I'm running out of time. One more small floral to paint, odds and ends to tie up on my show prep, a couple of visits with friends, loads of laundry to be done, grocery shopping and of course cleaning!!! yikes.

Pam, I know what you mean about feeling weird about painting before a trip. I always feel I have to finish everything up before I go or else I will be painting in my head the whole trip. :rolleyes: :D *thinking about you today*

Hector!! wonderful photos!!

uploading to the Reference Library is easy, but can be time consuming Mary Ann. Using the Community Bar (upper left of this page) log in to the Reference Library. Once inside the library on the upper right side you will see a row of buttons written in blue - Home Profile Upload Photos . Click on the Upload Photos and a screen will pop up with several options to fill in, including section that is relevant to your photo (ex: landscape, seascape, still life floral, etc.). Choose the appropriate section. Choose your image from your files. Write a few description words to make the image easier for someone to find in a search (ex: white floral flower lily macro or street scene Siena Italy vendor fruit). then upload your photo. There aren't size limits in the Library so use the biggest file you have so to share the best quality:)

have a creative day!!

em

karenjh
04-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Good day everyone.

Nice pics Astur and looking forward to seeing more. That one with the arch in the buliding might be calling me.

Had a nice holiday with my family. My mom loves a painting I did with an orchid and butterfly so I am going to frame it and give it to her for Mother's Day.

I sketched out that street scene of Andy's yesterday and now need to really take a good look at it. I seem to have a lot of project in different stages these days.

Doug - I have/had sciatica and it is such a pain in the A_ _ LOL. A good stretch I found is laying on your back with both feet outstretched. Then pull one knee up to your chest and hold with it with your hands while digging your heel into the floor with the outstretched leg. Hold for 10 seconds and then repeat with other leg. Do this several times. Especially after you've been walking or standing a lot.

pampe
04-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Little Old Lady
OK Pam what is a halter monitor test?
Where are you going?
JoAnn

ah, JoA.....I love your sublety! ((hug))

Halter monitor is a dohickey you wear for a couple days to record your heart rhthymn ...like a 3-day EKG

been having some blipity blips that don't belong in there...had a couple other tests last week

GOING:

to Portland for our daughter Becca's graduation from Cordon Bleu Culinary School....

Pam

babybrush
04-21-2003, 10:40 AM
ok Hector, i've been sitting here staring at your pics and i can't get over the urge to paint the one with the umbrella and the one with the guy on the bench. ever since i did the sunlit cali pic i have been wanting to paint another city scape with figures. those two just struck me as perfect. please hurry and upload them into the reference library!! they are calling to me

Bethany

Astur
04-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi:

I'm really happy about your comments of my pics!!! I feel the same (they are perfect subject for paint), but I though that is only because are my own pics, and my own city (than miss more that I want to accept :) ). Well, I saw that my "painter" view if shared with other ones, and I'm really happy with it.

Well, despite I've a lot of work, I will try to put my photos in the RIL. I began by Bethany ask (hope you enjoy and share with us your painting soon) , and put 5 o 6 at hour sharing with my offer work ... here you are the link to my images :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?ppuser=3741&cat=500&thumb=1

BTW, I think I will try with that one... look at those colorfull umbrelas!!!! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/3741-fontan_paraguas1.jpg

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Congratulations to your daughter Pam. My grandson graduated from the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY. Went to his graduation. The highlight of which was a gourmet luncheon. Hope you are as lucky.
Good luck with test!
JoAnn

babybrush
04-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Wow! thanks so much Hector. the quality on these shots is great! what is your policy on me selling a painting from these photos (just in case). if you do not want me to sell paintings from these photos, please let me know.

Thanks again so much

Bethany

Astur
04-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Hi Bethany:

go ahead, and good luck. Only let my know, it will be good for my ego :) if one day I visit Texas coast (who knows!!), I only want be honored by proverbial texans hospitality... :)

I will be very happy if anyone use my pics as reference, and really proud if you are able to made a good sale with your work... good luck!!

mchew
04-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Getting out of lurkdom just to say hi!

Just finished the swan lake painting and posted some pics I took the other day... if you need a larger pic with higher resolution.. just PM or e-mail me. :)

Beautiful photos, Hector.

Hope everyone have a nice day... see ya

M.A.
04-21-2003, 02:13 PM
Thanks Gail and Em for your suggestions. Well, at least I have uploaded something there ... but I did manage to bust their file limits so I'm giving it a rest. I think there are three pics in the ref library from me now ... someday I'll get around to posting more!

Pam - how all goes well with your halter. congrats for your daughter's graduation!

Here's an interpretation of my Easter Lily based on an interpretation of Em's techniques that I worked on today.

Have a great day everyone!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/18725-macroeasterlily.jpg

jageo
04-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Em's right about the weather. It's a glorious day up north.
Spent the last two weekend burning brush around the acreage. It's been so nice that I've got to burn all the brush piles quickly before they put a fire ban on like last year.... and the year before.

I was going to upload a photo of my new horse boarder, but the boyfriend seems to have cleared off the card from the camera. She's monstrous sized quarter horse, must be crossed with a Belgian somewhere in her lineage. But no matter, my little Arabian gelding has already told her he's the boss horse and pushes her around shamelessly. They are both much better off now in a situation where they have a companion to play with all day long. It's much healthier for them. And now I have TWO horses to sketch and paint. Hooray! :D

Checking out your pictures Hector. There is some definite inspiration there. Just what I'm looking for! I like the scene looking down the street where it just bends the corner in the background.

JA

AriadneArts
04-21-2003, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone. New to the watercolor forum and just want to introduce myself. I'm back at watercolor after an absence of a number of years, and back at sumi painting after about 30 years. I'm a little intimidated after looking at so many threads here of such excellent work. But I'm biting the bullet. So much to learn and here's the place to do it.

Have a great Easter Monday, all!

artmom
04-21-2003, 02:50 PM
Welcome, AriadneArts--glad to have you on the forum and look forward to your work.:)

Lyn

lyn lynch
04-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Roberta, I am w/the CIA :D , I am always in lurk mode so you dont' know when I am logged in. Why I do that? Beats me. I find it very difficult to get cranked about sketching from a phtograph and find tracing the outlines gives me a head start. I long for live subjects so I can work on sketching.

Astur, before downloading time on all those RILs, see the FAQ board in the RIL. Specifically, if you have so many you can contact WC! power to give you a limitied time link to speed the download. Lots of wonderful references to share!!!

Ah, Sylvia's wonderful letter from home. At the point of redundancy, I love hearing your daily news. Yes! Keep traditions alive, and I hope your children do too. My @ss is spreading just reading about your bread. I'm going to have to copy that receipe for Poticia and send to you.

Mary Ann, OK, you organize it--specifiy NO TEETH on reference. LOL. BTW, RIL download is very, very easy. For me to say that you gotta know it is. Just click on "download" button and follow the directions. Could read the FAQ first, too. Very easy. Interesting take on Em's waterlilly technique--almost abstract in tones.

BTW, I visit USCHI website, recommend to all. You should see portraits this girl makes!!!

Em, I did not realize there were no size limits in RIL, thanks for sharing this tip. I leave in my message to Mary Ann in spite of your more detailed note because I am too lazy to delete it. Looking forward to our coffee klatch.

Bethany, all photos listed in RIL are essential free of copyright for purpose of painting, this is expressily written in the rules so you have no fear of dowloading what appeals to you and selling it. You go girl!

Ardaine, Welcome Back!! Look forward to more participation from you. I LOVE sumi paintings! I don't think we have anyone on board who does them so they will be enjoyable. Good you start out right by joing Wash. LOL

{{{{Pamps}}}}} I think you just need a few days visit in Arizona and some laughs.

Shim and I have work fetch and carry work in the yard today; moving rocks to the planned cacti garden. My yard looks like "trailer trash". :D At least it is interesting. We went to doggie park last night. Many, many small dogs there and they all jump him immediately sniffing and smelling and I let him go. He try to play and run with them, but as soon as one acknowledges him he turns tail. Then 4 doggies do a group 'you know' and owners all laugh [tsk] and Shim does not see his monkey and Auntie so proud he does not participate. Lots of old women there and Auntie the new one. Occurs to me how the behavior of this group of bonded women behave in the same manner as their dogs. Shimmi appears to be only one in training as the others do not even come when called. We go again tonight but I let him join in for sake of socialization but then go to another part and work on more training issues. Painted a bit last night on 2 works and continue today. Best wishes to all, and a big Thank you to my Pamps who was succesful in teaching me how to refer to a URL within a thread. Love, Auntie who has beautiful weather in Phoenix, Arizona, US of A.

BobH
04-21-2003, 03:56 PM
To Char and Fun2cook: no I'm not running. While I "used to" run, the only running I do now-a-days is to the fridge to get another piece of pie! :rolleyes: Oh, well. We'll have the coverage on as background while we're working on rearranging one of the bedrooms.

JoAnn - I had a scanner, but it didn't work with my new PC. So I donated it to the high school and haven't bought a new one. And truthfully, I really don't have the room for another piece of computer equipment. I'll just have to wait for the digi cam to return from Disney World.

Bob

Uschi
04-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Pam are you there and listening?????? Plus I think this is good info for all.

O.K. started off with me having arthritis in my hip and being 64 and hence wise to take calcium. So, as if the arthritis wasn't bad enough, every time I walked 20 steps my thighs started cramping and I literally could not carry on walking until I'd stop for a couple of minutes, then take another 20 steps etc. At the same time I was experiencing missing heart beats and having pulpatations (sp?).

I mentioned all this misery to a friend on the internet, who, LUCKY ME had just picked up info re magnesium.

So, the way it goes is, the calcium contracts the muscles and the magnesium relaxes them. If we take only calcium, as I did (nobody told me otherwise) the muscles kept contracting but missing the balanceing magnesium hence the muscles cramping and not relaxing.

Since the heart is a muscle too, works the same way.

It seems that one should not take calcium without the magnesium - i.e. 300 calcium needs 150 magnesium.

Well, end result is - no more pulpatations, no more skipping heart beats, no more cramping when walking. I noticed the difference within days.

So, everyone, take from it what you want, but that is my story.

Hi again everyone!!!! Oh, welcome Eileen!!

Uschi

M.A.
04-21-2003, 07:09 PM
Uschi - I took Fookie's advice and visited your Web site --- amazing! I had to pick myself off the floor. Wow!!!

Fookie - Okay - I'll post a poll about a watercolour portrait exchange and see if there's more interest.

All - don't be scared off from the portrait by the little abstract I just posted.
:evil:

pampe
04-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Uschi
Pam are you there and listening?????? Plus I think this is good info for all.

Uschi

Thanks, Usch

I am glad you found out your problem...unfortunately....those 35 years I have been a nurse makes me know about that already....;)

So it is not as simple as the ca/Mg ratio.

But maybe that will help someone else...

Uschi
04-21-2003, 08:03 PM
That's right Pam, forgot about you having been a nurse. Well in that case, I truly hope everything gets sorted out to sheer perfection!!!! This getting older certainly isn't for the weak HA!

Fun2cook - I am game for a portrait thing!
Uschi

M.A.
04-21-2003, 08:05 PM
Uschi - excellent, I've started a poll in wc channel and am about to submit it to the project forum.

Yahoo! This is gonna be fun!

Uschi
04-21-2003, 08:05 PM
P.S. forgot to say THANK YOU "fun" and "fookie" for your compliments re my web site.
Uschi

M.A.
04-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Uschi - YW! Your site is wonderful!