GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Maine's Driftwood
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30x36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
driftwood from maine; painted from a picture I took. assorted flotsom and rocks under it. paint is extremely think. Rocks were painted semi symbolically and in a color that was more pastel. digital version doesnt show the level of detail in the wood so its kinda washed out.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm looking for some critism beit, "turd in the punch bowel", or I think you can improve here... I'm comfortable with it looking decent, but I am trying really hard to improve and this seems to be my style.

bottleman
04-21-2003, 01:18 AM
The driftwood is forming numerous interesting and 'organic' shapes. The one exception is the lower left corner, where the rocks are almost creating a triangle. This one geometric shape is further highlighted by the apparent alternate tone or hue of rocks, although that could just be a photographic distortion. Perhaps this 'triangle' stands out too much.

Wayne Gaudon
04-21-2003, 09:52 AM
I think the style you are after is where your heart lies but I do think you have to find a way to get more color .. do you paint plein air? If not, just a few studies and you will see what I mean by more color .. it's hard to describe. Heck, you don't even have to paint .. just sit in front of some subject and study it for an hour or two .. amazing the suttle little color you will find.

jerryW
04-21-2003, 10:20 AM
my spelling sucks hadorably 2.

but here the flotsam is key (turds in a punch bowl maybe the invention of the century) since they invite the dark complexes over the bright rock, counterpoint to the dark rock in the holes of the driftwood.
the angles of the flostammy fibers turns at the bottom and bends upwards in some peeking through at the left.
the top plane is an enjoyably withered tangle which sets up dark holes as the rock sets up the dark floaters and it ties to the floaters with it's variance of angle.
very beautiful but I would not drink it.

bocote
04-21-2003, 07:57 PM
thanks folks. good stuff

Bottleman: I checked and rechecked and I think I know of the area you are talking about and it is indeed a little odd, but I think it'll have to stay.

Wayne: good point and no I have not painted plein air since highschool. The digital version is a bit washed (shadows are crimson or violet based with yellow/pinks as a highlight), but I do totally agree with you and I'm most certainly going to keep that in mind, but not over do it with my next works.

jerryW: I look forward to any of your comments more than a nice frosty beverage on a hot day. I really went overboard with the paint on this one. I dont know what the weight of the painting is, but it has about 40oz of paint on it.

here is a sneak peak at my next work. mushrooms! working from a photo from the WC! resource area. Digital camera owes me bigtime on this one. looks 352.1 times better IRL.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/21291-shrooms.jpg

designditz
04-21-2003, 09:10 PM
i guess all the ground has been covered but still wanted to say nice work... it is kind of surrealistic to my eye...which works in bring the ordinary out of ordinary..i have not painted "plein air" either..and may also benifit from that but this piece as a whole works!
waiting on the shrooms...magic by any chance :)