PDA

View Full Version : New Watercolor(ist)

artdudette
04-21-2003, 12:18 AM
I'm new to this forum, but looking forward to learning lots! Last fall I took a watercolor course over a weekend, and really (finally) thought: "Hey! I maybe can do this!"

I tried taking my own pictures, but couldn't find anything to inspire me, so I checked out the Reference Library at WC and found Geckonia's tulip picture, which I tried very hard to reproduce. Results are below, Criticism is welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/7244-wctulips.jpg

al22
04-21-2003, 12:24 AM
Welcome, AD........this is very nice.........like the shadow work .....makes for an interesting composition........
Look forward to seeing more of your work.......
....al

George924
04-21-2003, 12:50 AM
Lets see, I agree with Al, makes out to be a good comp...

the shadow is the key to this piece...

I hate the color black to be used with anything(persona; preference), I think I would have like to see this with a split complementary of Blue,Red-orange and yellow-orange...
Yellow-orange being the shadow color darkened with it complement... but that is where a color study would come into play...

I'd get rid of the brown in the baseboard, make it the same color of the shadow but even darker yet.

George

Great piece...

geckonia
04-21-2003, 02:17 AM
Hey, this came out great, the vase especially! A fine start to your watercolor pursuit. Thanks for picking my photo, btw... it means a lot to me.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rod
04-21-2003, 02:47 AM
Welcome artdudette,

You've picked my favorite subject , light and texture in a still life.

Very well rendered, you,ve captured the light with your full range of tonal values, interesting shadow shapes and great texture on the walls and the vase is excellent,

Look forward to seeing more of your work,

Rod.

Yorky
04-21-2003, 04:26 AM
You made a wonderful painting, AD.

For me the vase is perfect, but I would like more colour in the tulips.

Doug

M.A.
04-21-2003, 07:10 AM
Love it! Looking forward to seeing more of your work. I have this ref image flagged to do sometime too.

Overall you have done an excellent job. I especially love the *sundrenched* portrayal of these tulips!

:clap:

CharM
04-21-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Rod
Welcome artdudette,

Very well rendered, you,ve captured the light with your full range of tonal values, interesting shadow shapes and great texture on the walls and the vase is excellent,

Look forward to seeing more of your work,

Rod.

Welcome to the WC forum Artdudette! I agree totally with Rod's comments!

artmom
04-21-2003, 09:33 AM
Welcome! That vase is beautifully rendered--a very nice piece of work:)

Lyn

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 09:37 AM
Welcome! You have done a great job with this painting. Looking to seeing more of your work.
JoAnn

pampe
04-21-2003, 09:39 AM
wonderful painting

WELCOME!!!!! Glad you are here

I think you are WELL ON YOUR WAY!!!

I would like to see a light puple wash over the shadows...think it would make it prettier

Tulips and vase are AWESOME

artdudette
04-21-2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks Geckonia (Anne) again for the picture, it's the true stunner.

Thanks Rod, CharM, Fun2Cook, Artmom, Lil'Ole Lady and Al, I appreciate your comments. My hubby is into realism, and I tried it too for a time, but now I really want to try to feel it, rather than mirror it.

George, I was taught never to even use black, I don't own a tube of that color, but I see that the scan made it seem black. I really appreciate your color recommendations, I'm just starting with this, and am often lost when it comes to color.

Yorky, I would have liked more color in the tulips too, I was thinking of softening the larger stark white with at least a pale gradual wash.

Pampe, I wondered about leaving those shadows pure white, tell me more about the wash, would you just do the white areas? or the entire background?

You're all so generous with your comments, I so appreciate that. I belong to an art club with hubby "Artdude", and it's one of the things we appreciate most, getting (and giving) critiques. When one is face to face with the artist, one learns to be as tactful as possible and I've learned to appreciate the pointers given, especially the 'negative' ones, and to be brave enough to point out what I don't 'get' about a painting, even though I'm not seeing it with an educated eye.

When we do it online, it's a little harder, because you can't just point at the painting, you have to think about it more.

I'm very happy to have access to such a wonderful forum.
:D