PDA

View Full Version : Pugdogs

cindyjames
04-20-2003, 10:22 PM
My husband is nuts about pugs! This is a picture I painted for hime of his family's dog, Sidney, who had to be put to sleep last year. I'll send another picture in reply to this of his sister's dog Doc, who is also a pug angel.

"Sir Sidney Pugdog"
acrylic on canvas, 8x11.

cindyjames
04-20-2003, 10:24 PM
Here's Doc.

white-anubis
04-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Perfect bulgy-eyed wrinkly-faced cutie! These are great!

echidna
04-20-2003, 10:50 PM
awwwww:p i do like the second better, he seems to have the perfect pug expression! good job!
~Echidna

lorna12
04-21-2003, 01:28 AM
Awwww! These remind me so much of the two pugs we used to have back when we were first married, aptly named Pug and Pugsly!

Nice job!:clap: :clap:

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 04:01 AM
What a lovely painting with such detail and soft blending. They are very unusual arn't they! I look like this every time I look into the mirror in the morning!

Paul:D :clap:

crazeejumper
04-21-2003, 07:02 AM
Aww, adorable Pugs! Look at those EYES! Great job! :clap:

paintedhorses
04-21-2003, 06:51 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I love them both! Excellent technique. I would like to know how you blended them so well:D

Jeri

cindyjames
04-21-2003, 08:35 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked them!

How did I blend it so well? When I painted the first pug, I was experimenting / learning / making mistakes! Doing it the hard way!

Well, I still have alot to learn, but the second pug was much easier and I think he turned out much better. I did an underpainting with raw sienna, just getting the basic lights and darks on the canvas. I used a thin layer of paint for this. Then I started applying the main colors, I mixed alot of the lightest color and painted just the lightest areas. Then I mixed it a just a little darker each time for the different shades of fawn color. I overlapped the colors each time and blended where the colors met with a damp brush. This also helps blend any areas that look a little "paint by numberish". I kept building up thin layers of paint. Some final shading I did with such a thin mixture of paint that it was basically just tinted water. Use a fan shaped brush to blend the watery mixture as it's drying on the canvas, very lightly or you will rub off the paint you're blending over.

Pugs have alot of different colors of hair when you look close, some darks mixed in with the lights. I used a small scruffy brush with a little paint on it very lightly over the main paint color to get the impression of the fur. I also painted over this with transluscent layers of paint, building up some depth. Fur isn't flat. I use small round and liner brushes to get even more detailed with the fur.

I use a Sta-Wet palatte so I can keep using the same mixtures of paint colors. That way you can go back and touch up areas days later without worrying about mixing that color just right again! And I keep a little spray bottle of water handy to mist my paints as I'm working.

In all, I would guess that I have about 15 hours in this little 10" x 10" painting. Is that alot? My first pug took me twice as long!

BTDogMom
04-22-2003, 02:03 PM
These R FANTABULOUS- they r both so good, I really love the 2nd 1 bcuz it looks like he's trying 2 get close 2 c u better, with what big eyes he has! LOL!!!:clap: :clap: