PDA

View Full Version : easter eggs!

echidna
04-20-2003, 09:45 PM
in an effort to avoid studying this weekend, i decided to get creative with easter eggs! each of these took about 15 minutes, and are acrylic on dyed hard boiled eggs (yes that means they will go bad and be thrown out:eek: oh well!) proportions got slightly off during saving and the colors are more subtle too.
~Echidna
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/20929-egg1test1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/20929-egg2test1.jpg

white-anubis
04-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Neat! Alas, throwing out the arty eggs must be as heart-wrenching as throwing out that halloween pumpkin you spent hours carving. ( Pretty bad when your mate has to sneak the rotten thing to the dumpster in the middle of the night.)

echidna
04-20-2003, 10:20 PM
actually, i painted my pumpkin last halloween with all my favorite cartoon characters- spongebob, marvin the martian, scooby doo, GIR from invader zim... garfield was supposed to make it on there too, but i got lazy:p because no carving was involved, it stayed good for a really long time. i just threw it out a couple weeks ago!
~Echidna

kitaye
04-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Hey Echidna these are pretty cool. For future reference if you want to make these permanent just blow the egg. It's a pain in the rear(for me anyways) but once the eggshell is dried you can keep it forever.

I'm pretty sure you can find the direction on the net but the short and sweet is...poke a hole on both ends of the eggs. MAke the hole in the bottom a little larger than the other. Stick in a very long pin and give the inner egg a real stirring up. Place lips over the smaller hole and blow the insides out. Fill with water and blow again. Keep doing this until the water comes out fairly clean. Set them on a shelf and let them dry for several weeks and tadah! Keepable eggs.

echidna
04-20-2003, 11:17 PM
i tried that before...*shudder* didn't work. made quite a mess. ugh...

She-She
04-20-2003, 11:31 PM
Hey Echidna, nice eggs, very creative!! I haven't done any Easter eggs for a few years. I did when the kids were small.

kitaye
04-21-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by echidna
i tried that before...*shudder* didn't work. made quite a mess. ugh...

LOL I'm glad I'm not the only person who made a mess of blowing eggs. I shattered my egg when I squeezed it too hard. The only other thing I would suggest is getting some fired ceramic eggs. They would work too.

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 04:08 AM
We paint eggs over here but only in stripes! This is very clever indead and for 15 minute paintings well what can I say other that GREAT!
Shame you have to throw them! What about not boiling the eggs first. Just an idea but why not get a raw egg, pierce it with a pin at the bottom, drain it and fill the egg with cotton wool, or resin, sugar well anything small enough to get through the hole to bulk it back up.
Sorry but a light bulb appeared above my head whilst I was typing, I doesn't happen very often!

Paul

Suzy78
04-22-2003, 07:06 AM
What about even making a sugared egg and covering it in clear acrylic before painting...

You take 4 1/2 cups finely sifted sugar (NOT powdered - still granulated, but you sift it before you start)
about 4 tblsp water (Make a half to one cup water and add up to 10 drops of food coloring)
Get an egg mold from the candy shop, pack it in, let set for a few minutes and turn out. Let both halves dry for a few hours, put together using thick powerdered sugar icing. (Sit on a egg mold - works better). You may have to sand the edges with med. sand paper so they line up just right first.

Cover with an acrylic spray, and paint! Voila! Any size egg you want that will last for years and years, and is still made of a traditional type of Easter confection (if that matters to you).

:)