PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel - Faire Maiden

s-augustson
04-20-2003, 09:42 PM
This is my first oil pastel...well first pastel of anything actually.
Probally my last as well. I could not get these things to blend well. Maybe I should try the chalk kind?

This is roughly 12x15 on brown paper bag. I didnt know what kind of paper to use, I tried canvas and it didnt go over well so I thought I would use a bag since I was just playing around.

What do you think? I couldnt get the hair right, I am going to try and fix it more. Her jaw looks like she is a man in drag I feel.

I used my fingers to blend with, is this what you are suppose to do or...?

Shawn Augustson
http://www.augustson.com

artbabe21
04-20-2003, 10:02 PM
are we following each other around? LOL...I just tried pastel pencils last night and it was a blast...read my thread...Pastel information...:)

anyway, I used a colored Cranson paper for charcoal, pastels, etc....I think you did well for a first...it's always interesting to learn a new medium. I'd give the soft/hard pastels a go if I were you...I certainly like the way they lay down and blend if needed better than the oil pastels IMO.

Will get back to your email soon...busy week end...hope you had a happy Easter w/the kids!

s-augustson
04-20-2003, 10:57 PM
I saw some hard pastels on dick blick called blick pastels. I think I am going to try them. I wonder if the lady at the store would let me test some out? I am going to ask, LOL. That way I can see if I want the hard or the soft.

Shawn

butterfly
04-21-2003, 12:02 AM
Shawn:
Hi Welcome to Pastels .... your picture is a lovely start !

Personally I haven't used Oil Pastels myself. Been using NuPastels and Sennelier Softs, but will be using them in two weeks in pastel class.

But, if you look further down this channel in the threads you will come across one dated around 3/30/03 started by I think Dima (I can't see the thread right now) and he is new with OP and received a lot of good advice from fellow pastel artists in this thread.

You stated that you used your fingers to blend ... I think you should use a medium, like turps or paint thinner to do this.

Also my pastel teacher last week said that if you do the Oil Pastels right you don't even have to frame them under glass and could frame just like a regular oil painting. (I find that interesting)

Hope this was a little helpful .... OH and every pastel know how book I have read always mentions something about Oil Pastels in them.

Good luck! And don't give up as you indicated ... your painting definitely is going in the right direction.

Butterfly/Roni

djstar
04-21-2003, 12:25 AM
YOU are a trail blazer. I am very impressed with your effort!
I have not figured out what to do with them. I have a small box and have used them for a very clean black drawing, no smudge etc, but have not tried USING THEM.
I would think one should remember the oil. If you ever laid a french fry on that paper bag, you would see why I think it is not the correct support - unless you cover it.
The best would probably some acrylic under paint of gesso or pastel medium so it will protect the paper.
Also, try gessoing the canvas so the texture is a little more even. and you don't feel like you are scrubbing into the weave.
I am thinking the thining with turps is the selling point of the stuff. A board with the versatility of a watercolor pencil but the durability of oil would be pretty nifty.

I did not mistake her for a guy! Nice use of strong shapes.
dj*

Artaholic
04-21-2003, 12:54 AM
Shawn . I hope you don't give up on pastels!! I can't believe you got this from working with oil pastels on a paper bag!!
Think what you will do with good pastels and the right kind of paper. Nice work.

Gerry

E-J
04-21-2003, 05:59 AM
hi Shawn ~ this is a great first oil pastel and nobody would know you were finding the oil pastels difficult to work with. That's a lovely rich colour you've got for the background.

Which brand of op's are you using? The good brands are far easier to blend. The thread that Butterfly/Roni mentioned is at http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98103 and many of your questions should be answered there. Oil pastels are fun and I would certainly advise you to keep going with them :)

champagneharley
04-21-2003, 06:59 AM
Shawn, it's just fine. Again you are showing your own style with this. So don't fret if it's not like anyone else's. It's a lively portrait, and captures an essence. That is what will set your work apart.
There are no true 'rules' to pastel as far as I'm concerned. Whether you smudge and blend or use strokes individually allowing the eye to be the blendee. :)
I've heard respected tutors all claim that theirs is the 'right' way when so differently used.
As long as you get the effect you can live with ... go for it!
Some women have strong jaws. Her jaw doesn't jump out at me as 'wrong'.
It's a happy painting, and I enjoy those merits of it.
Regards,
Jillian

s-augustson
04-21-2003, 09:09 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments!

I am going to play with these some more today I think. I read the post on oil pastels. I dont have any baby oil to try but I wonder how vegetable oil will work? I got to try it just to see.

DJ, I am going to try a canvas but paint over it with acrylic fists and see how that goes. The first canvas I tried I didn't paint on it, and it ate the pastels up in a hurry.

I want to get some paper too and work on it.

Back to experimenting.

Shawn