PDA

View Full Version : Chimp in Watercolour, A weekends work.

Paul Hopkinson
04-20-2003, 08:48 PM
As the title suggests I've had a mad weekend by setting myself a task to start and complete a painting before returning to work after the Easter break.
Day and night painting was the course of action for this one.
I've crossed posted this in Animals and Wildlife, I keep for getting to post my animal watercolours here as well. Sorry!:p
I've titled this one "What a day I've had!".
All comments are welcome,
Paul

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/19488-Chimp.jpg

And for a close up.............

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/19488-Chimpclip.jpg

Mary Smith
04-20-2003, 08:50 PM
This is incredible. He looks a bit out of sorts. Or does he always look like that? LOL! I love the detail in this! Bravo and welcome to the watercolor forum.

M.A.
04-20-2003, 08:52 PM
This is so detailed and beautiful!:clap:

Little Old Lady
04-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Wonderful work. Such detail.
JoAnn

Paul Hopkinson
04-20-2003, 08:59 PM
Thanks JoAnn, Fun2cook & Mary Smith for your lovely comments.
I normally work with watercolours with a size 0 brush for all my animal portraits. The occasion size 6 Coteman comes out for the washes before any detail is placed on top.

Thank you for looking,
Paul

artmom
04-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Paul, your work is just unbelievable! This painting is great--I also checked out your website and your other work is comparable--no matter what the subject matter.

Thanks for sharing.

Lyn

pampe
04-20-2003, 10:19 PM
great rendering

well composed

and fun too

Rosie
04-20-2003, 10:24 PM
Wow!!! I'm just crazy about this guy. He is great!!!

Lady Carol
04-20-2003, 10:44 PM
Amazing detail. Just love the expression:)

mhimeswc
04-20-2003, 10:48 PM
What a face! I love it. Great job on the texture too.

Michelle

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 03:48 AM
Thanks Michelle, Lady Carol, Rosie, Pampe and artmom (glad you like the web site) for all of your lovely words.

Paul

Yorky
04-21-2003, 04:58 AM
GULP! Wonderful! :clap: :clap: :clap:

So much character in this, and a wonderful title.

I'd love to see more.

You have a wonderful website.

Doug

Nitsa
04-21-2003, 05:51 AM
In a word...............WOW! :clap:

painterbear
04-21-2003, 06:41 AM
Hi Paul,

Looks like your chimp has lived a long time, so I guess he is feeling a little grumpy. Your talent shines through in the myriad details you've added and the way you painted them--the mottled skin on his hands, the patch on the top of his head where the hair is thin and his scalp is showing. There is a lot of life in his eyes though.

Wonderfully painted, I'm so glad you posted it in the Watercolor forum as well as the Animal and Wildlife forum. Hope to see you here more often.

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 07:22 AM
Thanks Painterbear I won't forget the Watercolour Forum in future!

Cheers Nitsa glad you ike it.

Ayup! Yorky Glad you like the web site. I'm a Derbeyshire lad myself!

CharM
04-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Paul, you are very patient and tenacious!!! The detail work is absolutely beautiful. You have captured his mood perfectly! I'm headed off to check out your website...

karenjh
04-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Wow this is amazing. I love all the wrinkles in his face. The hair is so detailed and I like how he doesn't have as much on the top and the grey beard. How long did this take you?

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Karenjh Thanks for that. I suppose the time it took must have been around 25 to 30 hours but I didn't count! So yes both day and night painting but most enjoyable! I'm going to attempt my first Horse in Watercolour tonight, bearing in mind it's 5.26pm here now!

CharM I hope you like the web site. I do have a very patient nature though so I suppose this helps.

wayfarer
04-21-2003, 12:36 PM
your composition really adds interest to the work! Great job! Love it!

wayfarer :clap:

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 12:47 PM
Thank you all for all of your lovely words so far.
The only thing that has bothered me for a number of years now is what some people have said from my local Art Club. The believe that this is not the traditional Watercolour style and will not judge them for the in-club exhibitions. Thier comments are "Watercolour is ment to be painted loosely not detailed, you are supposed to use large wash brushes and no smaller than a size 6 Coteman, not size 0 or 00!"
Please let me have your views on this. Are they right and should I class paintings like these are watercolour sketches?

Paul:(

Crystal Owl
04-21-2003, 03:54 PM
As always beautiful work Paul, he definitely has a great expression too. :)

Irene

Uschi
04-21-2003, 04:46 PM
Absolutely incredible Paul!!!!!! Website wonderful too!!!!
Uschi

Yorky
04-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by CraftyHopo
..................The only thing that has bothered me for a number of years now is what some people have said from my local Art Club. The believe that this is not the traditional Watercolour style and will not judge them for the in-club exhibitions.........Paul:(

There is only one reason they will not judge their paintings against yours, Paul and I suspect that's because they would be in a different class.

As for only using No.6 brushes and above !!!!!

Your paintings speak for themselves and the worldwide appreciation you get on WetCanvas is proof enough of your talent.

Doug

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 05:13 PM
IMHO if it is painted with watercolor paints it is a watercolor. If you look at this site there are many different styles. I could never paint like you do but I admire your style a great deal.
They must be jealous!
JoAnn

CharM
04-21-2003, 05:14 PM
Paul, from where I sit and from what I've seen... it's time to join a different Art Club. How sad for them that they've restricted themselves so severely... You have a wealth of talent!

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks Doug, it's a bit difficult down here in Devon. The only problem with my local Art Society is that out of the 150 plus members, I am the youngest at the age of 34! All the rest of the member are retired.
I'm not steriotyping retired people Doug but the one's here prefer the traditional ways with Watercolour. I'm seriously thinking about going it alone.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I really need it!

Uschi Glad you like the web site

Crystal Owl That wonderful coming from such a talented artist.

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 05:19 PM
CharM Sorry you must have been posting at the same time as me. Thank you for that but sadly there arn't any other clubs near enough for me to visit. But hey when I've got enough paintings done I will set up an exhibition and really anoy them!

CharM
04-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Paul, they're too stuffy by half... You didn't want to be a lemming anyway!!! Have your exhibition and show them once and for all!!! We support you and admire your work!!!

Aselka
04-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Absolutely beautful work.

I understand your frustration with Art Club. It is totally unfair. I think that watercolor is versatile media and it is totally up to artist how to use it.
I also faced with some artists, who told me that what I paint is not "real" watercolor because "your should let pigment flow on the paper otherwise it is everything but watercolor".

Aselka

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Little Old Lady
IMHO if it is painted with watercolor paints it is a watercolor. If you look at this site there are many different styles. I could never paint like you do but I admire your style a great deal.
They must be jealous!
JoAnn Thank you JoAnn I hope jealousy is the answer.

Paul

Strawberry Wine
04-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Paul: If you made chimp sit all day and night for his portrait no wonder he has grumpy expression. LOL

I think he is wonderfully done and it is the rare painter who can accomplish such intricate work with watercolour. Bravo!!!!!!!!

I agree with JoAnn, if it is painted with watercolour paint then it is a watercolour painting. As Pampe would say "Hands on massive hips" No if ands or buts. The difference is in the style of the work not the medium. An oil is an oil, an acrylic an acrylic etc etc etc.... OK Gail, take a deep breath and calm down.

Please post your work here in the watercolour forum more often, you have lots to share and teach and I have a lot to learn.

Gail

:)