PDA

View Full Version : Chimp in Watercolour, A weekends work.

Paul Hopkinson
04-20-2003, 08:35 PM
Seeing as my boss has let me have a few days off over the Easter period I set myself a task of starting and completing a paintings before the end of Easter. I have worked both day and night since Saturday to complete this one.
After searching through some of my old books on animals I came across a self portrait! Yeh ok then so it isn't but there are some similarities!:D
I have decided to title this one "What a day I've had!" .

Please let me have your comments and thoughts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/19488-Chimp.jpg

And for a clip of the detail.................

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/19488-Chimpclip.jpg

Cheers
Paul

Paul Hopkinson
04-20-2003, 08:38 PM
Oh and by the way, he has got partial legs as well but my scanner only doe's A4! Blast never mind!:mad:

Paul

MonicaB
04-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Paul, this is wonderful! I adore the expression. Quite a weekend's accomplishment. Maybe you should give it to your boss and tell him you've done a portrait of him/her! (Well, that would guarantee you more time for painting, anyway!):evil:

Excellent. :D

crazeejumper
04-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Wow, what an amazing job! I love the details & fur! :clap:

Paul Hopkinson
04-20-2003, 08:53 PM
Good Idea MonicaB! The thing is my boss actually looks like this! You want to see his hair and beared in the morning! He, he. Good job he's not an Artist coz if he saw this then I would have more time to paint!

Cheers Crazeejumper, I do enjoy the detailed work. Sadley I am seeing double at the moment! Probably because it is 2.00am here.:(

white-anubis
04-20-2003, 09:06 PM
absoluely excellent! what an expression! I know someone who looks like that...

shedreamsbig
04-20-2003, 09:43 PM
I love this!!!! Such a great expression!!

you have out done your self!! Paul, I have to admit..... I feel like this guy now and then!! LOL

Hey paul when are you gonna paint a horse? LOL...HINT HINT!!! LOL

Christina

lorna12
04-20-2003, 09:51 PM
Oh Paul, this is sooo excellent!! I love the expression and I'll bet you're seeing double after all that detail!!

Just wonderful!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 03:55 AM
Christina I thought this was a horse? Isn't it? Yeh, yeh I know I have been thinking about it as well, probably in Watercolour. The only thing is that I know Zilch about horses!

Lorna thanks again, it's nice to get those great comments from such a good artist! My eyes are sooo tiered after this one, it's feels as though I've got a waterfall in my eyes! Or someone hasn't turned the tap (fosett) off!

Cheers all
Paul

Adrienne
04-21-2003, 05:36 AM
I really love this painting. It is incredible. I can't believe you did it so quickly. It looks like it would've taken ages to achieve.

artcrazy
04-21-2003, 06:04 AM
his expression is priceless!!!!!

way to go! excellent work! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

shedreamsbig
04-21-2003, 06:49 AM
Hey Paul, I will help you!! I'll even give you a referance picture!! LOL!!!!

Chrisitna

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 07:12 AM
Christina Blast I was going to use the fact that I havn't got any reference photo's for an excuse! Oh go on then but you will have to send one soon though so I can get started on it. Have you got a facial shot close up, I can cheat by not drawing the body!:evil:

Artcrazy thanks for that

Adrienne Believe me it took about 30 hours over the weekend!

shedreamsbig
04-21-2003, 07:18 AM
HA HA!! Beat you to it!! LOL:D Yes, Paul I will send it to via email!! I send you a couple, so you can pick and choose your victim!!LOL;)

I just know you will do great Paul!! Hey if I can do people you can do Horses!! LOL :D

Christina

Lahree
04-21-2003, 09:45 AM
You did this in a weekend??? This is absolutely incredible!! I love it! Gosh, it is excellent!! Wonderful, wonderful job!! (gosh, am I gusing enough?)
Lori

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 12:50 PM
HELP! I've posted these questions to the Watercolour Forum as well.

The only thing that has bothered me for a number of years now is what some people have said from my local Art Club. The believe that this is not the traditional Watercolour style and will not judge them for the in-club exhibitions.
Their comments are "Watercolour is ment to be painted loosely not detailed, you are supposed to use large wash brushes and no smaller than a size 6 Coteman, not size 0 or 00!"

Please let me have your views on this. Are they right and should I class paintings like these are watercolour sketches?

Paul:(

k9artist
04-21-2003, 05:06 PM
Paul..this is really nice!! It sounds like you use the same mini brushes that I do!!..That would anger me very much to have someone say that!! Its not how you paint..but the medium you use!! If you enter this in a show..it would be under watercolour!!!
They sound a bit stuffy to me!!
Dana

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Thanks Dana You know the old way the British people were said to be, now what was it 'Stiff upper lip' and all that well I think the committee section is just like it! Good job we are not all like that. I'm working class I'll have you know!:D
This is the only Art Club within my area but I'm slowly building up my own collection between work and other commissions to display somewhere local. Now that will certainly (no bad language hey) annoy them!:D

Cheers
Paul

lorna12
04-21-2003, 05:47 PM
Wow, Paul, I think that's awfully narrow minded of them! Dana is right, it is the medium used. Perhaps you make them jealous with your control of the medium? (hehe)

I know one of the art groups I belong to, frowns on the highly detailed paintings I do, too, saying that it's not "fine art" even if it is well done.

But to say you have to use big brushes and be loose to be a watercolorist is just ridiculous!

This is from the May 1994 issue of American Artist Magazine and It's gorgeous! And watercolor:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/11613-Mag,_still_life_a.jpg

And there are many others in this magazine as beautiful and detailed as this one.

I say shame on them for being so closed-minded!!

Paul Hopkinson
04-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Thanks Lorna, I will print that off and show them that in America Watercolour is the name of the medium only, the style is individual.
Mind you they would probably say "Well that's in America, not England". You know what I mean, you get to that stage where you know what they are going to say before thier mouths open.
Thier facial expressions could win a gurning contest! he, he.

Thanks for the smile,
Paul

echidna
04-21-2003, 06:18 PM
hmmm..this looks like me when my alarm clock went off this morning...i'm not kiding:rolleyes:
umm. if the stuffy art club jerks don't think this is watercolor, then what exactly do they think it is???
very nice job! wish i had time to paint something....
~Echidna

She-She
04-21-2003, 06:30 PM
Oh Paul, this is beautiful work!! All this detail & done in a weekend, amazing...(to me anyway). The expression in his face resembles so many people..... LOL.

lorna12
04-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Paul,

You can tell them that in Canada, that's the way it is, too. Last year, one in the same style as the one I sent in the last post...that is a highly detailed still life, in a juried show for the Federation of Canadian Artists, won Best of Show! It was awesome! One of those "Gee, I wish I had done that" ones, you know what I mean?

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I'm indignant for you and someone should tell them to take the blinders off!

Hehe :D I'm done now:o

lorna12
04-21-2003, 07:36 PM
I forgot to ask....What's a gurning contest?:D

Pippin
04-21-2003, 08:01 PM
I love the detail on this Chimp.You have done a great job with it.I hope you find some where to display your work where people will appreciate your talent.

white-anubis
04-21-2003, 08:11 PM
What's wrong with those guys? I can't speak for everyone, but getting detail in watercolor isn't easy! Throwing some paint on there and swishing it about is! You would think that detail would get some merit! They can just go blow it out their hole! Sounds to me like they're the types that if you stuck a lump of coal up their hinder, in two weeks you'd have a diamond! Your work is so unbelievably good that it should be recognized! To heck with them!:mad:

els
04-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Yep, qhat a expression!!!

BTDogMom
04-22-2003, 02:22 PM
Paul this is EXTTRORDINARY!!! I love tight watercolor paintings over loose ones so much of the time and u have a phenomenal grasp on this medium. I'm just floored!!!:clap: :clap:

Paul Hopkinson
04-23-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by lorna12
I forgot to ask....What's a gurning contest?:D Sorry Gurning is where people pull funny faces, here's one I've just got off the internet to show you.

Paul
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/19488-gurning.jpg

Paul Hopkinson
04-23-2003, 04:24 AM
Thankyou BtDogMom, els, Walderian & Pippin for your lovely comments. Brixham in Devon where I live is a local Artist Paradise plus a Tourist Atraction so displaying work shouldn't be a problem!

Cheers
Paul

lorna12
04-23-2003, 05:43 AM
I bet that's a fun contest to watch!!

Adrienne
04-23-2003, 07:32 AM
Their comments are "Watercolour is ment to be painted loosely not detailed, you are supposed to use large wash brushes and no smaller than a size 6 Coteman, not size 0 or 00!"
Give me a freaking break!!! ;)

This is my pet peeve about artists. It seems they are so often trying to constrain and limit and box up other artists. That seems so backwards to me. For me, the whole idea is to take off the shackles and be allowed to try ANYTHING, excel at anything, develop and learn at ANYTHING. And even if you were the first one EVER in the history of the WORLD to paint watercolors with great detail (which you clearly aren't), that should be APPLAUDED and learned from rather than stifled.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

walerian mentions: "I can't speak for everyone, but getting detail in watercolor isn't easy! Throwing some paint on there and swishing it about is!"
As the Animal-Forum's-Official-Resident-Visitor-From-the-Abstract Forum ;) , and as a former representational-only artist turned often-abstract artist, I've got to say that I also find it extremely difficult to paint well when I'm just swishing the paint about!!! :D It is very hard to get a handle on values and composition and is an exciting challenge for me!!!

Paul Hopkinson
04-23-2003, 09:33 AM
Adrienne you are so right in what you say and I do agree that art is a learning process where finding new ways of using a particular medium is certainly part of the fun. Sadly some people are traditionalists and are set in their ways.

Thanks for your input,
Paul

Axl
04-23-2003, 02:20 PM
I can't believe I missed this. This is fantastic! :clap:

Wingnut
04-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Great work Paul! :D

Originally posted by walerian
absoluely excellent! what an expression! I know someone who looks like that...

ROFL! I ditto that! :D (as a matter of fact the same guy I'm thinking of could probably win a Gurning contest too! :evil: )

I have yet to figure out exactly what the difference between watercolor and gouache is? Other than opaque. I also know that in some of the juried shows I've looked at have stated that all watercolor entries must be done "transparent" stlye. Why is that? and what catagory do watercolor pencils fall into? I've seen them thrown in from everything to colored pencil, watercolor, and even pastel!

I sure wish the "ART" world wasn't so down on realism, especially well done realism! :( the general public seems to sure love it!

Paul Hopkinson
04-24-2003, 03:11 AM
Thanks Wingnut I fully agree. There's one thing I've never tried and that is Gouach. Maybe someone reading this thread might be able to shed some light on the differences between Gouach and Watercolour.
As you say it is believed to be opaque, waterbased and can be thinned as in watercolours. Saying this you can also do this with Acrylics! Oh I don't know at what point do you stop!!
I'm not making sense to myself now!:confused:

Paul

Thanks Axl for you nice comments.

Cheers
Paul

Adrienne
04-24-2003, 09:52 AM
There's one thing I've never tried and that is Gouach. Maybe someone reading this thread might be able to shed some light on the differences between Gouach and Watercolour.
Crafty and Wingnut,

Surreal, who I see every day in Abstract, paints in gouache. as well as other mediums. I think she hangs out in several other forums too. You could ask her -- she's a major contributor to Wet Canvas.

If you find out from Surreal, please come back here and tell us!!

VeldaJ
04-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Paul, this is an absolutely fantastic watercolour. The committee of your local art society must be totally nuts. Your pictures may not win any prizes from these narrow sighted *arty farties* but if you open your own gallery I'll bet the pictures simply fly out the door!

MKathleen
04-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Hey Paul: Boy I'm 'Ape' for your painting terrific work, love the expression and surly we all know someone who could fill the bill.
As to your thoughts about gouache and watercolor--gouache pigment sets on top of the paper where as watercolor sinks into the fiber of the paper. It might even seem a little denser or thicker than watercolor pigment. It is applied thin and like watercolor you build glazes or color on color. I like the fact that I can usally correct a mistake almost like you would with acrylic or oil. I admire the folks who can paint in transparent watercolor I personally don't have the discipline it takes. Or most likely the skill needed--lol
You are a wonderful artist and I think you should paint with your heart and sole and paint with the watercolor medium the way you enjoy it the most.
Best,
Kathy:)

Margaret Dent
04-24-2003, 11:23 PM
Paul,

This is Watercolour? Wow! It's stunning...

Margaret.

lorna12
04-25-2003, 12:42 AM
About Gouache: According to the Artist's Manual, A Complete Guide to Painting and Drawing Materials and Techniques (says it was produced in London England) Published by Chronicle Books in North America.

"The term "gouache" originates from the Renaissance, when the Italian masters painted "a gouazzo"- with water-based distemper or size paints. The opacity of gouache and it's matte, chalky appearance when dry, make it a quite separate and distinct medium from pure, transparent watercolor,but the equipment, supports and techniques used are similar for both mediums." "The best quality gouache paints contain a very high proportion of pigment: it's density creates an opaque effect. The colors are therefore pure and intense, and create clean color mixes."

Does that help? There's much more. This is a good book to have, I got it when I first started painting.

Paul, got your pm and okeydokey, let's go!

Paul Hopkinson
04-25-2003, 08:08 AM
Well everyone have given me so much advice so all I can say is thank you for visiting my thread and giving me so much insite into, gouache painting and old British stiff upper lip painters (only a selected few I might add), especially seeing as I'm a Brit as well!

So thanks to Lorna, Margaret, Kathy, VeldaJ and Adrienne for everything!

Cheers all
Paul

RachelG*
04-26-2003, 01:25 AM
LOL. what a face! i never could decide whether i thought these animals were oddly cute or just plain ugly. :p Great painting, though!i love how you did his fur!!!:clap: :clap:

Paul Hopkinson
04-27-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by RachelG*
LOL. what a face! i never could decide whether i thought these animals were oddly cute or just plain ugly. :p Great painting, though!i love how you did his fur!!!:clap: :clap: Cheers Rachel, I agree with you on that but you must amit they are very loveable primates!

Paul

Leslie Pz
04-27-2003, 10:32 AM
WONDERFUL! LOL really is adorable and well done!

Paul Hopkinson
04-27-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Leslie Pz
WONDERFUL! LOL really is adorable and well done! Thanks Leslie, it's nice to get good comments from someone with such a lot of talent!

Paul

Suzy78
04-27-2003, 04:57 PM
Love it! My favorite part...that the chimp's slightly balding. :D

Suzy

inkskin
04-27-2003, 05:26 PM
I don't know how or why I have missed this one, but I am glad I caught up with it!!
Paul, your work it amazing,and the fact that it is watercolor blows me away even more. Simply wonderful. I really didn't know that people got such close detail in watercolor. My preconcieved ideas about watercolor are very..well,watery.This website is expanding my mind on a daily basis,though!
Anyway,great work and I know you will have a huge following soon and will not have use for the local art society and all their little rules.

Heather

Paul Hopkinson
04-27-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by inkskin
I don't know how or why I have missed this one, but I am glad I caught up with it!!
Paul, your work it amazing,and the fact that it is watercolor blows me away even more. Simply wonderful. I really didn't know that people got such close detail in watercolor. My preconcieved ideas about watercolor are very..well,watery.This website is expanding my mind on a daily basis,though!
Anyway,great work and I know you will have a huge following soon and will not have use for the local art society and all their little rules.

Heather Heather your words just about brought tears to my eyes, thanks for your encouragement. I've always wanted to paint full time but with a wife and a child to support I need my council job for the income.
To be able to continue my art as a career always seems to be a dream, one of which I've wished for since I was a kid.
I do have three commissions to complete but as you can imagine time can be very short. Painting very late at night like now 10.45pm here is the only option, but being tiered you never feel at your best.
Maybe one day my childhood dream will come true.
Paul:(