PDA

View Full Version : Columbine Lessons Learned

CharM
04-20-2003, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone. I'm posting my second Columbine spray for you to have a peek at... I am sooo pleased with this! Why??? Things happen for a reason and spoiling my first attempt forced me to do it again. While doing my underpainting, I suddenly "got it"... About 1/3 into washing the flowers, I was graduating my washes. Yup... Graduated Washes... The balance of the petals seemed to be so easy to do... Their colour graduation seemed to be so seemless.

I used WN Permanent Rose for the colour. It stains. Graduating the wash is much more difficult. But, again, I will always understand what "staining" means!

You have been so kind and so patient and so helpful... Thank you very much for helping me paint something I think I can be proud of!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/20514-Columbine3.jpg

yahooserious
04-20-2003, 06:06 PM
Char, your columbines are gorgeous!!...I peeked in on the first posting of the others, and I thought you were doing quite well, but these are outstanding. You have every reason to be proud of them....:clap:

Emilie

Strawberry Wine
04-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Char: Wonderful petals and colours. You should be proud, very proud.

Our Columbines are barely peaking out of the ground but in a few weeks I will be posting blossoms of different spring flowers in the daily wash. I can hardly wait.

Are yours up and blooming already?????

Gail

mustcreate
04-21-2003, 10:12 AM
:clap:

bravo Char!!!

I think you've got "it" now!!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

just beaming here :D

those Columbine are almost vibrating with contrast and form....you should be darn proud of them!!

em

CharM
04-21-2003, 10:14 AM
Thanks Emilie... Thank you... There's nothing quite like practice... My next painting should be easier for me... It takes that "overworked" appearance away when you get the technique down pat.

Gail... Thank you... Spring is very late this year. My columbine are just an inch or so above the ground. The photo I used was taken last year. Most of my columbine has naturalized and is now quite dark purple... which is really beautiful. But this particular stand is the only one left with some of its original hybrid colour.

CharM
04-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks Em... I have to say that your florals have truly been an inspiration! Thanks for your help and suggestions!!!

painterbear
04-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Char,

So glad you've had a "breakthrough" with your painting technique. This version of your columbines is lovely. The colors glow. I see a very, very pale blue around the outer edges of the painting, no where near the flowers, is that really there or is it just a function of the scan? Just curious, it looks good with or without, because the flowers are so nicely painted, I like the gradation of the colors very much.

pampe
04-21-2003, 01:54 PM
don't you just love those lightbulb moments!!!!!!

this is wonderful, char!!!!!!!!!

Clasje
04-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Char what a beauty you have created here. I liked your first one but this one tops that one for sure. Great job!!!

Clasje:)

AriadneArts
04-21-2003, 02:12 PM
Just gorgeous, Char. Beautifully executed. Has the look of a very fine professional botanical. Well done!

rks
04-21-2003, 03:00 PM
Char, :clap: :clap: :clap: Good for you for sitting right down and painting the columbines again. Yup, you really should be proud of this one.

Roberta

P.S. My columbines are up about a foot but no blossoms yet. They are taking over parts of my garden, but I just love them.

talkingbanana
04-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Great job! :D

Crystal Owl
04-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Beautiful work Char! :clap: :clap:

Irene

CharM
04-21-2003, 06:09 PM
Sylvia... Thank you... No blue background though... Stupid camera... I have trouble with the darn thing...

Pam... I admire your work so much... You make it look very easy... It's not... Thank you!!!

Clasjes... Holding the two together is like day and night... It's just amazing what a little practice will do!!! LOL

Eileen... Thank you... When it started out, I really didn't intend for it to be a botanical. You should see how busy my ref photo is. I simplified it, taking one spray from the picture... In the end, I'm glad this is the way it turned out.

Roberta... Thanks... Rather like falling off a bicycle... I had to do it again right away, or I might have been tempted to put my paints away... Columbine are hardy little plants... They will even grow in the driveway if I let them!!! I apologize to the perennial gods when I yank them out...

Thank you Sarah and Irene!!!

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Beautiful columbine. It is great when you understand what you are doing. I wish I did!
JoAnn

CharM
04-21-2003, 10:21 PM
JoAnn... I wouldn't go so far as to say that I understand what I'm doing!! LOL... I finally "got" one little itty bitty basic technique. Don't you dare tell me you wish you knew what you were doing!!! If you don't, then forging ahead blindly looks pretty darned good Little Old Lady!!! hehehe Thanks for the kind words... I really appreciate it!

William Reents
05-15-2003, 09:33 PM
This is Beautiful,Char.Really beautiful

lyn lynch
05-15-2003, 09:54 PM
Lovely, I haven't seen real Columbine since I left Minnesota [Wisconsin, actually].

Happy that you "got it", now, can you just guide my brush so I can? LOL, very nice work!

Uschi
05-15-2003, 10:03 PM
GOOD FOR YOU CHAR!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!
Uschi

tigre255
05-15-2003, 10:05 PM
There absolutely beatiful Char........you have reason to be proud........

:clap: :clap: :clap:

mpopinz
05-15-2003, 10:17 PM
Char -

These are beautiful ;-)x