PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastels 21st April - 27th April

Dark_Shades
04-20-2003, 06:05 PM
Well last weeks thread was a rip roaring success...... had the most views ever 2k :clap: and was when I left it ;) 16 pages long!!

WOW .... congrats to everyone - we got off the plot ..... or should I say (garden) path .... and it was allllll my fault :evil: ...... BUT, everyone enjoyed themselves.... and that is a top priority .... Ive forgotten how many weeks this has been running, but it is most popular, for participating and viewing...... great source of fun, advise, encouragement......

the idea is to work as quickly and loosely as possible in a set time that you give yourselves of .30mins, 45mins, 60mins and post your results - you can go back and work on your paintings later if you want to

its open to all...... and at any level..... be the humble beginner, to the plein air pastellist expert.... someone is always around to help and advise..... or just encouragement.....

the link to last weeks momentous thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101112

Dark_Shades
04-20-2003, 06:09 PM
everyone was great last week, with lots of advise and help for me :) .... on about how to use greens in mass..... colour selection, best types of pastels.....

I also learned from Soap about Velour and how it tends to drop the pastel :p :eek: , much to my annoyance as Ive just ordered a pad of it (will let you know if that is any better)

Dark_Shades
04-20-2003, 06:19 PM
just wanted to share and tell you what Im working on at the moment ..... its not an apple or an egg lol ...... but with what Soap told me about Velour (yeah Im still seething :)) ..... of the sample pack I got, I have a Velour Board...... Id scribbled on it a bit lolol...... so thought hmmmm go for it.... so Im scribbling away like mad...... with the thoughts well it will all drop off...... but Im spraying with fixative as Im going along..... doesnt seem to be dulling the colours either ...... will let you know if it all drops off again hee hee ...... ohhhh showed it to oldest son...... said.... do you know who this is........ he said...... erm is it David Bowie :mad: :D ........ ok back to the drawing board :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/12116-DavidBowie.jpg

christmascarolnz
04-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Hi Dark Shades...I reckon it looks like Elvis. David Bowie has two different coloured eyes, so it can't be him.
I have tried velour and found that you have to scrub the pastel in a bit to get it to do anything...one pic on black I ended up painting over with acrylic - that stayed. One on green is still okay.
Regards,
Carol

sundiver
04-20-2003, 09:26 PM
No way is that David Bowie! :D
Here's a 50-minute job from our walk today- taked with digital and so done looking at computer. I'm not that happy with it. My lame excuses are that my monitor had bad color (it does) and I was cooking Easter dinner at the same time (turkey on the barbecue) and then that I'm too full to paint properly (burp)..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/6393-mudlaketrail.jpg
It may look cold but was really warm-if you check the Easter thread you'll see Julie tramping through the snow but with bare arms.

butterfly
04-21-2003, 02:11 AM
Dawn: WOW! This is great ... and I too think it looks like Elvis! By the way your little girl with flower turned out beautiful and the framed version made it look even better. What is velour boards?? Is it like masonite type boards I used for oil painting only with velour glued to it???

The bunny I did was on velour (grey) but I don't know the brand it was given to me as a sample to try and it wrinkles has some kind of vinyl back...and the pastel is sticking and not falling off YET!

Sundiver: This is great ... how long were you working on this? You say 50 minutes and you were cooking a turkey also, gosh I could take lessons from you. Ah ... not cooking just the painting. My mother in law cooked today... I cleaned up, every one is happier that way. But no painting today and the pastels are now out from under my nails too!! Rare but it happened ... must of been cleaning those pots although felt I should have been painting a picture of them ...

Hope everyone enjoyed yesterday I did now back to the drawing board ... literally!

Butterfly/Roni

E-J
04-21-2003, 07:11 AM
Great sketches Dawn, Wendy... and Sunny, your oranges are fabulous so your naughtiness is forgiven ;)

Dawn, let me guess ~ is it Des O'Connor? LOLOL :D Your Elvis is pretty unmistakable and you've done a great job of getting shine and life into the eyes. I'm a bit concerned about this business of pastel falling off the velour paper... but I'm not sure I liked the effect it gave me with my roses anyway, so tho I've still got a piece of velour board from the sampler to use, I probably won't be buying any more of the stuff.

So I'm back from my w/e away... have missed my daily pastelling but we fitted so much into Sat/Sun and I'm now so tired I could fall over... On Easter Sunday I ended up having breakfast in France, lunch in Belgium and supper in England :) :) :)

Oh and Jamie, I've finally got my pastel tote :) so I'll be staining and varnishing it today... the first time I've ever done anything that comes close to DIY ~ very traditional for a bank holiday Monday :D

E-J
04-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Sat outside to do a 30-min sketch of the pots in my garden while I waited for the first coat of varnish to dry on my pastel box. Hated every minute of it!! As you can see from the abomination below, I just couldn't concentrate. In another thread we were talking the other day about the usefulness of a viewfinder and I really could have done with using one today. I just couldn't get my right brain engaged. Perhaps it's the thought of being back at work tomorrow!

Dark_Shades
04-21-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
No way is that David Bowie! :D
Here's a 50-minute job from our walk today- taked with digital and so done looking at computer. I'm not that happy with it. My lame excuses are that my monitor had bad color (it does) and I was cooking Easter dinner at the same time (turkey on the barbecue) and then that I'm too full to paint properly (burp)..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/6393-mudlaketrail.jpg
It may look cold but was really warm-if you check the Easter thread you'll see Julie tramping through the snow but with bare arms.

I think this is yet another lovely one Wendy, that touch of purple gives it a warmth..... I love these snowy scenes

Dark_Shades
04-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Sat outside to do a 30-min sketch of the pots in my garden while I waited for the first coat of varnish to dry on my pastel box. Hated every minute of it!! As you can see from the abomination below, I just couldn't concentrate. In another thread we were talking the other day about the usefulness of a viewfinder and I really could have done with using one today. I just couldn't get my right brain engaged. Perhaps it's the thought of being back at work tomorrow!

Ej...... what time did you get hearburn, lol, with all your travelling and eating :) ....... well I think this is rather nice...... I would of liked to have seen a bit of sunshine in it
...... but just to cheer you up lolol........ guess what I found :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/12116-3peppers.jpg

about 45 mins ....... not the green I wanted...... but never mind...... just as well the dustman is coming tomorrow lol

sundiver
04-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Emma-Jane those pots are lovely! Actually I've been eyeing that photo you took of them, thinking what a nice sunny still life they'd make. It just needs a few highlights of sun and blue sky to make it pop!
Dawn, don't you dare chuck those peppers! I'll take them if you don't want them.Whatever happened to that pastel exchange Greg suggested? Because I've got about a dozen sketches sitting around that I wouldn't consider trying to sell but don't want to throw out and would love to exchange for something of similar ilk from other WC'ers, just for fun.

E-J
04-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Wendy :D The colours in that photo are a bit bleached out because it was so sunny that day but do feel free to use it for a sketch if you want to. I find half an hour a VERY short sketching time and I think I panic and become unable to observe properly... 45 mins usually gives me nice results. Not sure if this means I should really stick with 45-min sketches or if I need to practise shorter ones... Maybe it's just the 'en plein air' element that makes me nervous.

Dawn, that red pepper especially is really shiny, but all three are good! I like their cute little bendy stalks... the way they're arranged makes them look as if they're having a conversation :D That yellow one looks like the worst gossip.

Jamie... if you are lurking in Pastels... I've used an all-in-one wood stain and varnish for my pastel box. You warned me not to but I went ahead and did it anyway, since we already had a tin of Cuprinol sitting around :rolleyes: It's going ok, sort of, but I should have been more patient with the first coat and waited till each surface was touch-dry before attacking the adjacent one. Anyway... it doesn't look terribly professional but at least it will protect the box so it can protect my pastels, which after all is what I bought it for. Can't wait to load it up :)

Dark_Shades
04-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by E-J

[B]Dawn, that red pepper especially is really shiny, but all three are good! I like their cute little bendy stalks... the way they're arranged makes them look as if they're having a conversation :D That yellow one looks like the worst gossip.

You are such a Nut Ej ....... Im sitting here cracking up lol

Dark_Shades
04-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Dawn, don't you dare chuck those peppers! I'll take them if you don't want them.Whatever happened to that pastel exchange Greg suggested? Because I've got about a dozen sketches sitting around that I wouldn't consider trying to sell but don't want to throw out and would love to exchange for something of similar ilk from other WC'ers, just for fun.
Blimmey Wendy you are more than welcome, but why on earth do you want some of my clutter lol - hey perhaps we should have a WC rubbish bin..... either in this thread or a thread to be kept open in the forum...... any that no one wants sling in there see if any takers..... lolol

Mo.
04-21-2003, 03:22 PM
I've already posted on your Terry Wogan portrait Dawn... still think it looks more like Elvis! :D Do hurry up and get it finished. :)

Sundiver: You are so quick and good with these gorgeous little landscapes, this is another beauty. :)

E-J: Your art is Super, love the little sketch of your pots, but I don't rate you much as a gardner...those pots are empty! Tut, tut :)

Dawn, I like your chatty little peppers, maybe you should call it "Pep Talk" :) The idea of an art dump bin sounds good.

cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
04-21-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Mo.

Dawn, I like your chatty little peppers, maybe you should call it "Pep Talk" :) The idea of an art dump bin sounds good.

cheers,
Mo.

are you an EJ working a double act

....'pep talk' good one

doe
04-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Haven't had the chance to paint but I'm glad some of you have! Wendy that's another great little landscape and Dawn, such nice peppers and EJ your garden still life is a good one!

Don't understand the problems with velour paper - I have some paintings done on velour paper from the '70's that have never had fixative on them and still have the pastel on them. Must have been a different brand, but don't ask me what one it was.

Hoping to get a sketch or something done soon!

soap
04-22-2003, 11:54 AM
Alright, all this velours talk has made me grab another piece of it.
I have not timed this sketch, but it cannot have been more than 30-60 minutes.
What do you think? any comments on composition?
It is obviously from a photo....might go on with it, might not...LOL...we'll see

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/15421-Fermanagh.jpg

(Oh, this was post no. 500 - I am now a veteran!....gosh...)

soap
04-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Wendy - I love your sketch. It's vibrant and alive. Don't know why you're not happy with it.

E-J - now that you're back at work maybe you can see it is not that bad. The composition is a little weak, but easy to fix. It really does look like a 'random' view from a load of pots and plants. Because it appears (!) so random, you create the illusion of lots and lots more pots. I love that suggestion. I would only have changed the symmetrical twins in the front....I really like the ivy around it.

Dawn - your peppers make me laugh. No, not because it's bad, but because it is such a great way of painting peppers! Crunchy!

I've got 'after-Easter' syndrome.......loads of unfinished DIY lying around......we got the great idea of 'doing' the bathroom........yeaahh, riiigghtt....:D

Dark_Shades
04-22-2003, 02:44 PM
Nice colours in your sky soap

... this lunchtime, I went rummaging for some watercolours.... was giving up on pastels.... and frustrations of not finding colours I want..... then I came across a couple of tins, with bits of pastels in them :D ..... and the thoughts of your mikey takes...... all except Wendy ;) .... so I worked on 'Pep Talk' for a few minutes...... throughly enjoyed it :D ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/12116-PepTalk.jpg

sunny
04-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Love your PEP Talk Dawn..love all your peptalks...

Sundiver..another beauty!!!

Ej...good sketch...

Soap..a veteran now....see how additicting WC can be..love your sky!!

I am working in pastel this week..what began as a sketch is turning into a detailed finished still life...don't want to end up in the naughty corner again this week..so later will post a WIP...

KEEP UP ALL THE GOOD WORK!!!

Sunny:)

Mo.
04-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Sophie, lovely landscape, I still can't get over how this velour makes the pastels so luminous.

Dawn...what have you done to your peppers? They are absolutely glowing! Luvley jubbley!:)

cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
04-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Soap, that is absolutely lovely, especially done in an hour!
There, Dawn, glad you didn't toss tham in the bin, HMMM? :)
I forgot to time this and had a lot of interruptions, but it was around an hour. Funny, I feel very comfortable painting apples, but not pears, can't see why there would be a difference, but my pears always seem two-dimensional. These are somewhat better than previous pears...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/6393-couplapears.jpg

mhimeswc
04-23-2003, 02:09 AM
Sundiver,
I haven't seen your previous pears, but these definitely look three dimensional. In fact, they look good enough to eat. Great color.

Michelle

Dark_Shades
04-23-2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Mo.
Sophie, lovely landscape, I still can't get over how this velour makes the pastels so luminous.

Dawn...what have you done to your peppers? They are absolutely glowing! Luvley jubbley!:)

cheers,
Mo.

Mange-Tout!.... Mo, ...... Mange-Tout!

E-J
04-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Soapy ~ I like this very much ~ have just seen your more worked version on the separate thread, and I like both.

Wendy ~ love the light on your pears, and their colourful reflections. They certainly look 3D to me.

Dawn ~ shiny happy peppers! Are you going to create shadows/reflections on the black like Wendy's done with her pears, or will you leave them as they are?

Hoping to finish my Degas tonight. My social life has rather taken over lately... and husband insists on having a birthday tomorrow, so we have another evening of revelry ahead :) I'm determined to set aside an afternoon for some timed sketches at the w/e, tho, before the next weekly thread is upon us...

Dark_Shades
04-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Soap, that is absolutely lovely, especially done in an hour!
There, Dawn, glad you didn't toss tham in the bin, HMMM? :)
I forgot to time this and had a lot of interruptions, but it was around an hour. Funny, I feel very comfortable painting apples, but not pears, can't see why there would be a difference, but my pears always seem two-dimensional. These are somewhat better than previous pears...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/6393-couplapears.jpg

I like these Wendy...... lovely reflections...... as EJ said about putting shadows...... I think I will try something like this in my 'pep talk' if thats ok with you :)

Dark_Shades
04-25-2003, 01:23 PM
oh dear oh dear oh dear........ I had to go and find this thread....... it was on the second page :eek: :crying:

a saying here...... talk of.......

After the Lord Mayor's Show

:D :evil:

JamieWG
04-25-2003, 01:39 PM
Wow, no new paintings on this thread for DAYS!!! What's everybody up to? I know what I'm up to....procrastination! LOL..

Soap, great sky!

Wendy, your pears are awesome. If I stop procrastinating, I'll give my new OPs a whirl.

Dawn, looking forward to Pep Talk reflections! (Note to self: buy peppers this week.)

Jamie

Dark_Shades
04-25-2003, 01:45 PM
Lol Jamie...... my excuse is Ive been playing around with Elvis :D :evil: ;) lol

oh.... well its Friday here .... wooooo hooooooo!!!

look forward to your peppers Jamie

erinj
04-25-2003, 05:54 PM
Hi y'all,

It's been awhile... but I'm back!

Here's the rose that Luvy and somebody else did.. was that last week?.. Anyway, you two that did this rose spurred me to paint after a few weeks off.

I had to study your paintings to get things, not just the photo!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/14716-rosepicture.jpg

And, here are the fancy irises that my neighbor had, (and gave me some bulbs last year).
Oh, and that's Rosie, who was sitting there enjoying the sun as I was drawing. Have to do something to tie this all together... maybe a background check!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/14716-rosieandiris.jpg

Here's the still life I did today, with the Easter prop for the Easter picture I never did....you know guys, for me, after taking this break from drawing/painting (due to ducklings and doggies and who knows what else!!), it is so hard to get back into the swing of things... it was hard for me to stay focused enough to put much time in this painting at all!! But, I'm happy that I did something... happy I can share something with you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/14716-bunnyrose.jpg

And, finally... (oh, I should have put a touch of pastel on this!! ooops, just a line drawing, from life today). This really looks like Beauty, (except maybe the legs are too long) one of our new pups, one of the two strays. She has floppy, cute ears. She's all black... now that the big pups are here in the suburbs with me, hopefully I can focus on artwork more. I was thinking about Sunny's lovely fabrics and started making lines denoting the blanket designs... but didn't get very far! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/14716-beauty1.jpg

Thanks for looking! I've been checking in when I can and marveling at lovely work here. So, thank you all for continuing to provide this thread for all of us!! (I like it when we have a link to the previous thread, and the next weeks' thread too, makes it easy to go back and forth when we need to... so, thanks!!)

Have to do a 'dog check' now, and teach in 5 min!

Erin

Dark_Shades
04-25-2003, 06:06 PM
Welcome back ErinJ........ your timing is impeccable lol ...... this thread this week sorely needed you :D

.. your flowers are looking great...... love the background colour especially against the purple

.... your line sketch is very good too....... enjoyed seeing your busy week .... dont leave it for so long next time :)

Mo.
04-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Erinj Your paintings are enchanting, love those irises in particular so fresh and lively, and your dog sketch from life is excellent, good that you captured her so quickly, animals are notorious to draw fro life, they just won't stay still :D You've done very well.:clap:

cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
04-25-2003, 07:59 PM
I was attracted to the photo E-J posted in last weeks thread, and tried out a piece of it last night in o.p., 5x7. Took around an hour, and then I added a few highlights today. I find with o.p. that you have to leave it overnight sometimes before you can get the last layers on.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/6393-EJs_garden_pots.jpg
Either I've got some wobbly ellipses here or the potter was asleep at the wheel! :D
Erin, I'm glad you got time to sketch. Your work is so fresh and original!

doe
04-25-2003, 11:41 PM
Haven't been able to get on this site - or anywhere for that matter all night! I had my reply all ready and then everything was lost - so really quickly - before it happens again - here is my offerring - a pot that I made with a sprig of Nora Grant Ixora (any eliptical wonkiness is fault of painter not potter) on an 8 x 10 piece of maroon Canson paper that someone gave me to try out:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/12181-ixora.jpg

From what I remember Wendy had several great pieces here, pears, a landscape and EJ's garden pots - loved them all!

Erin - great rose and iris and pups!

Dawn - Elvis! Peppy Peppers - just great!

Sophie - liked the landscape on velour, especially the clouds!

If I forgot anyone I'll double check in the am - better submit this before it all blows up again.

JamieWG
04-26-2003, 12:11 AM
Erin, welcome back! Beautifully colorful as always. I can't decide which I like best...maybe the second.

Wendy, awesome pots and greenery. Tried my OPs for a few minutes. Quite an experience! Nothing like yours, for sure.

Doe, those were really hard flowers to tackle. Good for you! Nice job.

Jamie

mhimeswc
04-26-2003, 01:13 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/20035-PastelApples.jpg

Here it is, my first entry in the Weekly Pastels. It took about 45 minutes, and although it may look loose to everyone else, I was as uptight as can be while doing it. These are my first apples, and about my 5th pastel painting ever.

This is done on a warm gray charcoal/pastel paper (about 9 x 12)with my box of 12 WN soft pastels. There are only two greens, a light and a medium hookers. I made the shadow sides of the apples with black and red under the medium green. I made the cast shadows with black, red, blue and green. I did some cross hatching, and some side strokes, but no blending.

The only problems I had were making do with the colors I have available, and keeping the edges of the apples defined. I should have started the apples farther to the right on the paper. I'm pretty happy with them and will try them again tomorrow if I don't eat them by then.

Comments appreciated, but be gentle.

Michelle

E-J
04-26-2003, 05:44 AM
Erin ~ great to see you pastelling again :) How do you get that fresh quality in your sketches? If I worked that loosely and freely I would produce a scribbled mess, not the beautiful rose and irises/dog that you've shown us here. I guess a clever use of warm/cool colours and different stroke sizes in your grass would give a sense of perspective and tie things together, but I'm definitely not the person to advise you! :D

Wendy ~ it's a funny feeling to see my [landlady's] garden pots in somebody else's art :) You've packed a lot of life and sunshine into a small picture, I really like the crop and I think you've made an excellent job of the ellipses. Now I'm wondering why I haven't tried using that ref photo myself!! The colours seemed so bleached out... it didn't inspire me... but now I see what you've made of it... You and Mo are my oil pastel heroes :)

doe ~ you're talking a new language to me, with all this 'Nora Grant Ixora' stuff :D I love the way you've captured the shine on the vase, and that bright blue next to the maroon is a bold combination, I like it.

Michelle ~ welcome to the sketch thread!! :) This is a very good sketch and I think you've done a fine job with such a limited selection of colours! The W&N soft pastels are rather nice to use, aren't they? Getting sharp edges is hard at first, but you seem to have achieved it ~ at first I thought you'd used pastel pencils.

Re shadows, I might have used more red in the darker bits and more green in the lighter areas, tho I don't know if that would be the 'correct' thing to do. As for starting the sketch further to the right, you can always crop the picture :) Next time, if you're not happy with the placement before you start adding pastel, just draw over your drawing to reposition the apples ~ it doesn't matter if the old lines still show as the pastel will cover them, esp. if you put in a coloured background. Anyway... well done :D

I've talked enough. I'm off to paint!!

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 06:29 AM
I was attracted to the photo E-J posted in last weeks thread, and tried out a piece of it last night in o.p., 5x7. Took around an hour, and then I added a few highlights today. I find with o.p. that you have to leave it overnight sometimes before you can get the last layers on.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/6393-EJs_garden_pots.jpg
Either I've got some wobbly ellipses here or the potter was asleep at the wheel! :D
Erin, I'm glad you got time to sketch. Your work is so fresh and original!

lol Wendy.......... now this is exactly how I envisaged EJ's ...... just wanted to see some sunshine ....... you have done a great job ..... lovely painting :clap:

.... its such a joy to see everyone posting again

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by doe
Haven't been able to get on this site - or anywhere for that matter all night! I had my reply all ready and then everything was lost - so really quickly - before it happens again - here is my offerring - a pot that I made with a sprig of Nora Grant Ixora (any eliptical wonkiness is fault of painter not potter) on an 8 x 10 piece of maroon Canson paper that someone gave me to try out:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/12181-ixora.jpg

Lol Doe, everyones a comedian hee hee....... ohh this is lovely...... beautiful colours, love the colours of the background, flowers, vase....... everything :clap: .... the vase has such a solid feel and love the texture and colours....... a really lovely painting - I could go on..... ha ha ha..... I like it a lot

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by mhimeswc
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/20035-PastelApples.jpg

Comments appreciated, but be gentle.

Michelle

This is great Michelle...... again great colours which give the apples shape and form, and light too....... you have done really well with this ...... apples are always good to practise with and always enjoyable to view ......... welcome to the threads and look forward to seeing more from you

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 06:36 AM
good works you guys....... was so enjoyable seeing these this morning

soap
04-26-2003, 06:39 AM
Ha, this thread came back to life after all.........almost the end of the week LOL!!
Those pears are lovely - very juicy! And E-J's pots.........great success! Excellent!
Erin - you brought the thread back alive - and how! Love your flowers especially! How long did you work on them?
Doe - lovely flowers and the pot is brilliant! The way you suggested the glazing....well done!
Michelle....5th pastel painting??? Well certainly not a beginner in painting then! Wonderful apples. They seem very fresh and crunchy.

Oh, just one more day in this week.......any more paintings to come? Am looking forward to next week's thread!! I don't think I'll be posting much here...sorry...

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 07:15 AM
Well I started the week with Elvis....... and looks as if I finished with him....... I was all shook up over trying to get the arm right .... and wondered if I should of used Blue Suede, but shoe'd the idea ........ aha...... thought this one was going to end up in the Ghetto

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/12116-Elvis1.jpg

E-J
04-26-2003, 08:30 AM
Great work, Dawn ... I've got a finished picture to show, too. The Degas [everyone yawns] that I've done for my dad's birthday:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/13865-new_degas.JPG

Very pleased with this one. I took a lot more care with it than with my first version and it's more worked, the flesh tones are a bit more convincing.

Now I can get back to sketching :D

JamieWG
04-26-2003, 09:20 AM
EJ, you bad girl, this is totally *not* a "snore"! LOL....Beautiful work. I checked your other thread and boy oh boy, there is really something to that "practice makes perfect" stuff. Your first effort was nice, but this one is a vast improvement. You have every right to be so proud of yourself. Please be sure to let us know your dad's reaction.

Dawn, very convincing Elvis! Great job on the checkered shirt. Guess what I bought last night....yep....peppers. More pep talks coming up in the near future, unless they get eaten first. Got some pears too, but intentionally did not tell my daughter about them yet. LOL....

Michelle, good first fruits with limited colors. Yes, it's very hard to work without adequate amounts of dark colors available! Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Jamie

doe
04-26-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by E-J
doe ~ you're talking a new language to me, with all this 'Nora Grant Ixora' stuff :D I love the way you've captured the shine on the vase, and that bright blue next to the maroon is a bold combination, I like it.

Well, judging from your garden pots, EJ, I'm not surprised that a plant name would be a new language!:D Your Degas painting turned out excellent, which I've already said, but I don't mind saying again!

Dawn - it's always good to see Elvis again! Your really did an excellent job on him, blue suede or not!

Michelle - good looking apples! The colors you did have worked out great! Look forward to seeing more!

It's pouring here so I might even get some painting done today!

E-J
04-26-2003, 01:02 PM
I've been keen to try oil pastels on velour, since Dick's been getting some nice results, so here's my 45-min white lion, from a photo in the Ref Library. I will definitely work some more on him but I promise, Dawn, not to post the WIPs!!! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/13865-white_lion2.jpg

OP's feel quite strange on the velour board. This is the first time I've really used my few Senneliers, and boy are they sticky! They were melting away in my hot little hands.

mhimeswc
04-26-2003, 01:26 PM
E-J,
I noticed that photo last night while I was looking for ideas in the reference library. It's a great photo, isn't it!

You are off to a terrific start. I love this lion photo, so please be sure to post your finished painting. I think it's going to be a winner.

Michelle

bnoonan
04-26-2003, 01:37 PM
From a lurker's point of view - this thread Rocks!!! You guys are getting so great in just a few weeks time I can see the vast improvement and freedom of the artwork. It's most impressive! All of you should give yourselves a pat on the back right now!

Lions to pots to Elvis to pears to Degas to Nora Grant Ixora to irises to dogs to fabric - wow oh wow

If I forgot anyone, I'm sorry but visions of all these great paintings are just filling my brain with happy colorful thoughts.

Keep them coming. You may not find me participating this week since I have company visiting, but I'm with you all in spirit.

Cheers! Barb

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by E-J
I've been keen to try oil pastels on velour, since Dick's been getting some nice results, so here's my 45-min white lion, from a photo in the Ref Library. I will definitely work some more on him but I promise, Dawn, not to post the WIPs!!! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/13865-white_lion2.jpg

Make sure you post the finished results though :evil:

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 02:11 PM
No futher WIP's on this one either :p :D

thanks to Ej's suggestion and Sundivers pears

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/12116-PepTalk.jpg

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 06:35 PM
this was 35 mins..... yet another one for the rubbish bin..... was on Fabriano, and I remember now why I have some of this left..... I hate it :P :D
..... and them dang pixels again :p ...... keep bending things :confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/12116-Cp.jpg

will try this again on diff paper..... wasnt a wise choice being white either

Mo.
04-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Wow E-J Your lion.... looks to me like you don't need any O.P demo's this is looking so good...you'll be the one giving the demo...keep going girly. :)

Dawn that Pep Talk needs framing...get it done it's glorious. :)

Ehem... as to the bent jamjar...sure you haven't been on the bottle? :evil: ( okay I'm ducking)
:D :D

Ooops missed a few , sorrry didn't mean to..

mhimeswc Great apples ...you are doing just fine.

E-J Your bathing lady has turned out supreme :clap:...does your dad like it?...something wrong if he doesn't...it's so superior to the first one you did...You have a great tenacity, I don't think I could paint the same subject twice... Ooops I forgot I did once but only once. :)

Doe Your Nora Grant Ixora ...interesting name for aflower...but it's lovely :)

Wendy you've done such a wonderful job on E-J's pots, I didn't recognise them from the ref pic... you've brought them alive..well interpreted...wobbly ellipses or no....superb work. :clap:

cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
Wow E-J
Ehem... as to the bent jamjar...sure you haven't been on the bottle? :evil: ( okay I'm ducking)
:D :D

cheers,
Mo.

Oi you, you cheeky sod !!!...... I just saw that....... its me best bloody glass....... good job you ducked ....... lolol

Mo.
04-26-2003, 07:48 PM
Your best:o :o :o oh my! :evil: :evil:

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
Dawn that Pep Talk needs framing...get it done it's glorious. :)

cheers,
Mo.

okay......... whose the ONE been drinking round here lolol

erinj
04-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Dark Shades, I think you have a nice still life idea going here. I love the spoon and orange slices the best. I can't wait to see more with this one, and more up close too! --Also, Sexy Elvis' shirt is really great!!!

I bought a yellow pepper to join in with you and Jamie too.

Sundiver, your clay pot painting is powerful and your landscapes take me away!!! Wonderful work. Really gorgeous.

Doe's vase with flowers is beautiful! Love the color scheme. You two do leaves so well!! I'm studying your flowers too Doe, (and pots)!

E-J too! Nice leaves and pots. The composition is great! I can't believe you did all that in 30 min. I hope you continue with it.
Your Degas is luscious!! Simply gorgeous. (might be nicer than his). Can we see it framed soon??
What will you copy next? I copied a Degas once for an art class... (was pretty bland compared to yours!!)
Thank you for the tips on my background in the Rosie/Iris sketch. I needed that to take a next step!

Those apples look deeeliscious, Michelle. I would eat them too!! Please keep showing us your pastel work. I'll be looking forward to seeing more!

Don't know what I will work on next... hmmmm.
Have errands to do, but then, tonight.... hmmmm.

:cat:
Erin

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
Your best:o :o :o oh my! :evil: :evil:

..... well Im a STARVING artist..... woddya expect :p :D

.......... I have to GIVE MY art away...... :crying: ;)

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by erinj
Dark Shades, I think you have a nice still life idea going here. I love the spoon and orange slices the best. I can't wait to see more with this one, and more up close too! --Also, Sexy Elvis' shirt is really great!!!

I bought a yellow pepper to join in with you and Jamie too.

Erin

thanks Erin ........... yeaahhhhhhhh for the yellow pepper :clap: ...... looking forward to seeing it

Mo.
04-26-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades

okay......... whose the ONE been drinking round here lolol

Guess!

sundiver
04-27-2003, 01:44 AM
Dawn, your peppers look great on that shiny table, I like the orange slices-juicy!_ and your Elvis, well, all I can say is "Thank you, thank you very much." You did it your way!
(Sorry. It's 1:39 a.m. and I'm punchy)
E-J, the lion: wow! The Degas: Double wow!
Here's another 5x7 o.p. , done in stages with many interruptions, but I think an hour, maybe up to 15 minutes over. I started fussing with it, and that's never good. Still don't like the background.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/6393-Mltrail2.jpg
good night

Dark_Shades
04-27-2003, 06:32 AM
Here's another 5x7 o.p. , done in stages with many interruptions, but I think an hour, maybe up to 15 minutes over. I started fussing with it, and that's never good. Still don't like the background.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/6393-Mltrail2.jpg
good night

Wendy these little snowscapes are always so lovely...... inadequate words I know..... sorry....... they have turned out to be quite a series....... everyone is so different.... this is lovely with lots of variegated greens

by the way..... punch..... is that tired..... or punch drunk...... lol
Mo's been on the bottle again hee hee

E-J
04-27-2003, 06:36 AM
Wendy, I'm in love with all your little op landscapes. Here's an idea... why not sell them all off to the rest of us pastel sketchers? :D I would rush to buy one.

Erin, no idea what my next copy will be... I'm keen to get sketching from life again, tho the lion obviously wasn't part of the plan! I've been eating out so often lately, with weekends away and various birthdays to celebrate, that shamefully I don't have anything sketchable in the house... no peppers, no apples, no pears... This calls for a trip to the supermarket!

Dawn, your still life sketches are very distinctive ~ I think it's your palette ~ warm browns, whites and delicate blues/purples [and lack of green, :D]. In France we picked up some wine glasses that have bendy stems, so they lean to one side... very disconcerting to drink from... I'd like to paint one but everyone would say 'your glass is wonky' :)

doe, hehe ~ a garden, for me, needs a grassy area large enough to lay my picnic rug ~ which helpfully squashes it down nice and flat so it doesn't require mowing ~ and there should be at least a small area of concrete where I can put down my wine glass without fear of it tipping over. Beyond that... gardens aren't really my area of expertise :)

E-J
04-27-2003, 06:50 AM
Forgot to add, Dawn ~ those peppers and reflections look great!

doe
04-27-2003, 09:45 AM
I did my best to straightened out my pot and wanted to re-post it just for the record, it took longer to paint the pot than to make it, btw. Also, I was having problems scanning in correctly - it seems my paper is also wonky! Oh well, it was free.:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/12181-Ixora.jpg

That's a handsome white lion, EJ!

Dawn the peppers with reflections came out great and the glass with orange slices will be a pleasant still life too!

Those op landscapes are so beautiful Wendy, it would be neat to see them all in a row!

I didn't get the chance to paint yesterday, other than the minor corrections to my jar, since I had to make pastry for the neighbor's little dinner party today.

Also, I'll be out of town next week, so won't be able to play much!

:mad:

Dark_Shades
04-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Doe, your painting is beautiful...... the vase gorgeous.... the flowers equisite ...... you going to frame this one...... the colours are so wonderful.... love the purple in the cloth :clap:

..... hey guess what lol...... my sons friend came round and they have an art project going on........he had oil pastels..... so I beat him up :evil: lol and took them off him ... No didnt really....

but I did have a dabble with them

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/12116-b.jpg

..... must confess reminded me some what of wax crayons :eek: .... but had good fun playing with them..... tried pastels over the top, just to see how things would work

sundiver
04-27-2003, 02:47 PM

Punchy meaning so tired , to the point of being silly ..it's almost like being drunk..
( Mind you, I did get called to go rescue a very inibriated kid- not mine, thank goodness- from a party at 12:30, so the fumes may have affected me lol )

Dawn, they were most likely the student-grade pastels- there's no comparison, although even with those you can do some neat things if apply them heavily, impasto-style, and blend them together that way. That bottle is from your Pastel Riot, isn't it? I'm still deciding whether I'm brave enough for those bottles.

Doe, I left out your exquisite still life in my last comments, and now it's even better!

Dark_Shades
04-27-2003, 04:13 PM

Dawn, they were most likely the student-grade pastels- there's no comparison, although even with those you can do some neat things if apply them heavily, impasto-style, and blend them together that way. That bottle is from your Pastel Riot, isn't it? I'm still deciding whether I'm brave enough for those bottles.

said Pentel ... dont know what they are......
yes Wendy, bottle was from the riot.... Im re thinking that one lol..... I realised, all those bottles and could get one wrong..... :D.... so I might be doing something else lol

sundiver
04-27-2003, 05:11 PM
... Im re thinking that one lol..... I realised, all those bottles and could get one wrong..... :D.... so I might be doing something else lol
Then just do a crop..one or two! (said she who is probably too chicken to do any...)
Pentels are student-grade, btw.

Dark_Shades
04-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Ok thanks Wendy for that..... will bear the oil pastels in mind ...... good idea..... lol could do a series of the bottles one by one hee hee.......

nearly forgot to open up next weeks thread...... see you over there....... its 1/4 2 11 here .......

wheres the time fly :(

Mo.
04-27-2003, 07:29 PM

Wendy these little snowscapes are always so lovely...... inadequate words I know..... sorry....... they have turned out to be quite a series....... everyone is so different.... this is lovely with lots of variegated greens

Another big fan here Wendy of your tiny little snow scenes, I know I keep repeating myself (I'm a parrot ) but you do amaze me working so mall with such detail..and all in an hour!!
Why on earth don't you like the background? I think it's just lovely. :)

BTW take no notice of what Dawn says about me it'sall big whoppers. ;):)

Cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
04-27-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Mo.

BTW take no notice of what Dawn says about me it'sall big whoppers. ;):)

Cheers,
Mo.

ha ha ha thats the size of the drinks you have :D ;)

Mo.
04-27-2003, 07:33 PM
Doe, your painting is beautiful...... the vase gorgeous.... the flowers equisite ...... you going to frame this one...... the colours are so wonderful.... love the purple in the cloth :clap:

..... hey guess what lol...... my sons friend came round and they have an art project going on........he had oil pastels..... so I beat him up :evil: lol and took them off him ... No didnt really....

but I did have a dabble with them

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/12116-b.jpg

..... must confess reminded me some what of wax crayons :eek: .... but had good fun playing with them..... tried pastels over the top, just to see how things would work

Hey...not bad, not bad at all! :) How did you like them?

I noticed further down you said they were Pentels? They are as Wendy says student grade, they will contain more wax than oil and be quite greasy as opposed to oily...bigga difference...they are fine for working out ideas with, saves on the expensive ones

What paper did you use?

Mo.

Dark_Shades
04-27-2003, 07:38 PM
just the black canson Mo

..... I liked I could put on normal pastels on top 2 an extent

Mo.
04-27-2003, 07:41 PM
Did you use the smooth side? If not and if you try them again use the smooth side, you will find it much better.. one of the beauties of O.P's is just that...you can mix them with other media.... I'm really getting into them now.

Dark_Shades
04-27-2003, 07:46 PM
Oooo Ok :) ..... will remember for next time he comes round.... after he's bruises heal lolol .... I used the textured side....... I always do :)

Mo.
04-27-2003, 07:54 PM
I'm learning all the time with these pastels, I learnt today not to use canvas...unless you cover the canvas with another medium first...wasted 2 sticks of pastels trying for coverage...then binned it. LOL.