PDA

View Full Version : 2 paintings - new to acrylics

cat1lady
02-25-2012, 09:42 PM
I can't seem to upload so I am going to insert. I usually lurk but never post.
I purchased some WN Artist's Acrylics several years ago after attending the Art Expo in Santa Fe. I saw a young man painting a wonderful portrait with these paints and it didn't look plasticy at all since the paints dry with a satin finish. I "had" to have them. I tried to use them and the end product was horrendous so I never used them again.
I thought it was time to give them another try. I'm really liking them now. Living in New Mexico is somewhat problematic but I just keep misting the palette and I have a sta wet palette. The palette is so nice because I can just start painting again and not have to set everything up, all I have to do is get water.
My attempt years ago was to try to get a solid smooth color. This time I laid in the local color with a thin layer then pretty much dry brushed everything else on top. I really like that texture. I really want to try them for plein air but I will definitely need an umbrella.
The landscape (9 x 12) is copied from Bob Rohm's book "The Painterly Approach", which I really like. It is on cardboard coated with clear colourfix primer. It makes it kind of look like pastel.
The pear (7.5 x 7.5) is on cardboard coated with tinted regular acrylic gesso. I wasn't sure I'd like the smooth texture but the dry brush technique worked just fine. I'm still getting used to which brush to use for which effect.
I'm not thrilled with the paintings but I don't hate them, which is something for me.

For the table top, under the pear, I tried spreading with a knife, I like the plaster effect. I was just fooling around.
I have since changed the front corner of the napkin but I can't get a better photo so this is it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2012/91561-IMG_0481_web.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2012/91561-IMG_0536_crop2web.JPG

cat1lady
02-25-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm not seeing my signature - can someone help? I never had one before and I saved it but I'm not seeing it.
Thanks,
Katy

Linee
02-25-2012, 11:31 PM
I like these, especially the pear. Love the layers of color and composition.

JoeDTS10
03-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Nice work. I've done some cardboard, and it might bow on you. If you have that problem, you could try to paint the back side, perhaps with the primer you used, or gesso.