PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire WIP

Shamrock15
02-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Good evening all,

First WIP that I am going to try to work through, hope I remember to take enough pics to make it worthwhile.

This is based on a combat that occurred over Dieppe during the landing. The pilot, Anton Glowacki of 303 Sqn RAF claimed a shared kill, but post war records show no loss of such a Luftwaffe aircraft on the day. The painting will show a damaged He-111. The painting will be called "Ellipsis" - meaning unfinished business. It also reflects the shape of the Spitfire's mainplane, and the He-111's rear stabilizer. Acrylic on canvas, 18x24" I believe (possibly 22x28" though - I'll have to measure it up!)

Thanks for looking in!

judithj
02-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Very fine start!

Karen70
02-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Good start. I love looking at other's WIPs, because I work on the background first then the main subject, just in case I ruin it.
Look forward to seeing the next installment.

Shamrock15
03-04-2012, 02:50 PM
First update for the Spitfire project. Blocking in the background a bit, and fleshing out the Heinkel. This approach helps me to keep the aircraft separate from the background.

OkeeKat
03-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Great start!!
Love planes! these two are really looking good!

chammi kaiser
03-07-2012, 03:16 AM
Showed my husband this one. He is a real Spitfire and other elderly aeroplane fan and both of us are looking forward to the finish.

Shamrock15
03-15-2012, 02:46 PM
An update for the Spitfire after time off to paint "Your Children" (also in this forum).

Additional detail added to the background to start giving it real structure, and more detail added to the Spit. The nose won't look that deep - just an errant brush stroke when blocking in colour that matches the shape of the nose!

Thanks for checking in Chammi - hope this one will be done shortly (for me and planes, that means some time in the next month!)

Shamrock15
04-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Progress continues slowly, but it is rounding out a little more...
Please feel free to comment...

NeilF92
04-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Coming together well D'Arcy - the red in the wing roundels may be just a tad large? The step up in the grey cammo just over the fuselage roundel gives the impression that the rear fuselage is tilted up compared to the nose - but the Spit looks OK if I block that tiny bit out!

shadwell
04-18-2012, 06:40 PM
is this pre duck motif ?? only ever seen refrences of this aircraft with the duck on !! or copyright issues ?? or are you just leaving till later ??

Shamrock15
04-18-2012, 11:34 PM
This one doesn't have the duck - I believe that one was RF - D or A. This one will be RF Q, carrying the additional smaller letters QWCA which approximates the word Cuckoo in Polish.

shadwell
04-19-2012, 07:46 PM
This one doesn't have the duck - I believe that one was RF - D or A. This one will be RF Q, carrying the additional smaller letters QWCA which approximates the word Cuckoo in Polish.

correct thaught it was jan jumbachs spit RF D ! shouldn't the spit be going in the opposite direction for a polish spit ??:wink2: :lol: :thumbsup:

sultry
04-20-2012, 07:11 PM
enjoying this as it develops

Futaba
04-20-2012, 09:07 PM
You are taking on a challenge with aircraft paintings. The geometry has to be right on or the eye will pick it up. In this painting I would suggest you make the leading edges match and be careful with the fuselages as the appear a little twisted. Looking at the aviation art of Keith Ferris helped me. I really like the way you are doing the background, it is not talking away from the subject aircraft. good job!

Shamrock15
05-25-2012, 11:04 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2012/100935-002.JPG

After a month of no progress - time out of country helps that - here is the latest update. Still a couple more hours work, but mostly background stuff to go...