PDA

View Full Version : Swan Lake ~ WIP (Half done)

mchew
04-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Hi guys,

This was initially painted in my art class yesterday and everyone liked it very much... and since I'm very "free" these days, I told my teacher that I'll bring it home to finish it...

It's a beautiful scene at the Swan Lake in Singapore Botanic Garden... I took the photo sometime last year.

Here's the photo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/14541-Swan_Lake3.jpg

Here's what I've done so far... will probably continue and finish it tomorrow.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/14541-1.Foliage.jpg

tigre255
04-20-2003, 11:28 AM
WOW will be another great one........silently sitting in the background and watching........

Starsprite
04-20-2003, 11:29 AM
Lookin good Marvin! Don't forget the yellow and orange in that one tree...it's magnificent! What a beautiful lake...and you are doing great with it! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece. :)

artmom
04-20-2003, 11:41 AM
WOW! --Oh, Master Artist of the Trees! Absolutely unbelievable:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lyn

pampe
04-20-2003, 12:08 PM
going to be stunning

Yorky
04-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Wonderful foliage, Marvin.

The light coloured branches - are they masked or negative painted? Either way they are excellent.

Doug

mchew
04-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks Barb, Patty, Lyn, Pam and Doug.

Lyn... you made me laugh... you can call me a Master when I'm 50 yrs old.... and exhibited my works all over the world... lol

Doug... no masking... all done with negative painting.... a fellow student said I must use this painting once finished to submit for judging to enter the Singapore Watercolour Society, as it shows my skills in foliage and negative painting.

At one moment, there are 3-4 people standing behind me watching me paint this yesterday... and some of them are seasoned painters who've been painting with my teacher for years. Boy! it's surely a great feeling to have your "seniors" admiring your work... :)

lyn lynch
04-20-2003, 01:06 PM
Marvin, He is giving you lots of positive encouragement when you need it the most; I am so happy you are paying attention.

You must certainly apply to the watercolor society, particularly since the initials mean so much in the buying community, and can add to the price of the work. Use a subject which you do very well, such as any I have seen you post. :)

This is so beautiful, another over the top work from the artist who will be called "Master".

BTW: I forgot to add in Singapore Road Shops: I like to see a bit of the authentic in old buildings, i.e., leaning supports.

coffee_girl3000
04-20-2003, 02:09 PM
From title, thought it could be a ballet painting a la Nandie, would be different!

Foliage is beautiful and perfect as per usual, you have such a steady and patient hand methinks. You are a master! If only I was in Singapore, would make you teach me.

Look forward to more :D

suzpaints
04-20-2003, 03:17 PM
wow...

I don't think I would even have attempted this - foliage is so intimidating!

you sure seem to have it figured out, you have such an eye for detail!

can't wait to see the finished painting

Susie :)

Uschi
04-20-2003, 03:25 PM
Skipping from one admiration to the next. Just absolutely wonderful!!!!!!
Uschi

CharM
04-20-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by mchew
Thanks Barb, Patty, Lyn, Pam and Doug.

Lyn... you made me laugh... you can call me a Master when I'm 50 yrs old.... and exhibited my works all over the world... lol

Doug... no masking... all done with negative painting.... a fellow student said I must use this painting once finished to submit for judging to enter the Singapore Watercolour Society, as it shows my skills in foliage and negative painting.

At one moment, there are 3-4 people standing behind me watching me paint this yesterday... and some of them are seasoned painters who've been painting with my teacher for years. Boy! it's surely a great feeling to have your "seniors" admiring your work... :)

Marvin... Young Man... Talented Young Man... Do you consider 50 to be the age of wisdom, of maturity, deserving of the Masterful title? Or just "old" enought to warrant it?

LOL LOL LOL

50 is Young!!!

Your next project is going to be a beaut! As always, your foliage is impressive!

Yorky
04-20-2003, 03:46 PM
I'm not surprised the other students gather around to wonder at you marvellous technique, Marvin. It must tell you that you have a special talent.

Just watched a documentary about the life of Leonardo da Vinci. Apparently after he painted his first angel, his painting master saw it and gave up painting!

Well, I for one won't ever be able to emulate your work, but I'm not giving up.

Doug

Olga
04-20-2003, 03:50 PM
You really are a master of tree painitng. WOW!

Looking forward to it being finished. It will be super, I am sure!

Olga

painterbear
04-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Hello Marvin,

The foliage is painted beautifully, you must have read your own article on How to Paint Trees! LOL! ;) Are you going to include those flashes of red and yellow that are in your reference photo?

Definitely try to enroll in the Singapore WS. As Fookie said, it adds cachet to your paintings and lets you up your prices. I'm glad you are continuing to take instruction with your teacher. We all love watching over your shoulder when you post your WIPs here, can't blame your fellow students one bit.

I'm looking forward to seeing you add the water and swans.

Like Sarah, I thought this was going to be a ballet painting when I saw your title.:angel:

artcrazy
04-20-2003, 05:52 PM
This is beautiful, Marvin :) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: . you are really talented!!!!! :clap: :clap: :D

babybrush
04-20-2003, 07:08 PM
very good marv!! can't wiat to see the next instalment. it is amazing how your paintings always look so much better than the photo you took it from.

Bethany

Little Old Lady
04-20-2003, 09:02 PM
I will just say"ditto" to everything that has been said.
JoAnn

al22
04-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Foliage really looking nice in this one Marv.........
.......following........
........al

ptantono
04-21-2003, 01:32 AM
Geee....Marvin, I agree with others, you are the master of foliage painting. ;)

capricorne
04-21-2003, 06:49 AM
Hi Marvin,
This impresses me. It is very good!
I think I don't have the patience to do such a fine and delicate job.
I think you are on the level of your master now!
Keep painting.
Best regards
Jan

mchew
04-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Hi again, Thanks everyone... it's now finished... Boy... this one took about 11-12 hours in total.

I forgot to say this earlier... it's 20" x 14" Arches 300 gsm Rough...stretched on stretching frame.

Added more darks in the shadows area... used goauche for part of the palm leaves (which are giving me a lot of problems), the orange branches, and a few dots of pink, while and yellows for highlights.

Then, painted the water... another problem area... glad it turned out satisfactory.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/14541-2._Finished.JPG

Here are some details:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/14541-z._detail_-_swans.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/14541-z._detail_-_foliage.jpg
This is mostly negative painting with a few dabs of white and orange gouache.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/14541-z._detail_-_foliage3.jpg
Again negative painting and highlighted with gouache.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/14541-z._detail_-_foliage2.jpg
This is done more or less like what I'd written in my article, but added a few dabs and dots of gouache for highlights.

babybrush
04-21-2003, 12:39 PM
this is great MARV!! so beautiful! no critique from me/

Bethany

hopefulbucky
04-21-2003, 12:46 PM
Marv, this is absolutely beautiful. YOur trees are wonderful. Now that some of us can do half as well on our trees with your expert advice.

Thank you for sharing that advice and for sharing this wonderful painting. Lovely.:clap: :clap: :clap:

artmom
04-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Marvin, this is beautiful! However, I personally would like to see a little more orange and yellow in the palm tree fronds but, I love it anyway!:)

Lyn

Starsprite
04-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Excellent Marvin!!! I do agree with Artmom though about adding more orange to the palm fronds on that one palm. It looks good the way it is now...but in the photograph that is what catches my eye the most is that really pretty orange and yellow in that tree.

I love the swans...such graceful movements! :clap: :clap: :clap:

tigre255
04-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Marvin this turned out great, but agree with Patty and artmon, as we have lots of palms here in florida and the fronds do turn a bit orange and burnt red on the tips. with a bit of yellows......but thats only my 2 cents worth...........you did really great with this painting and i really do like it.........

Clasje
04-21-2003, 01:53 PM
Marvin this is absolutely beautiful!!!
Stunning!!!

Clasje :)

AriadneArts
04-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Marvin, nothing for it but to say EXQUISITE! Your work is a joy to look upon. :clap:

coffee_girl3000
04-21-2003, 02:21 PM
What can I say...*faints from the beauty of it*...right, send it to England. But add a touch more orange first (favourite colour) :).

Little Old Lady
04-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Absolutley beautiful.
JoAnn

CharM
04-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Picking Sarah up off the floor... LOL... I am OLD you know, (over 50), so it isn't easy... LOL

It IS beautiful Marvin...

painterbear
04-21-2003, 05:24 PM
Marvin,

A really lovely painting. I like the graceful way you've shown the swans, but the wonderful foliage is the star of the show. I like the touches of orange and gold you added. In fact, I would like to see more of them like the others have already mentioned.

It is a beautiful painting as it stands now if you decide to add nothing more though.

Uschi
04-21-2003, 08:43 PM
Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous,:clap: :clap:
Uschi

lyn lynch
04-21-2003, 10:31 PM
Marvin, Marvin, Marvin, give up your day job.

I love it just like it is.

I rarely look at the reference photo for the reason that I do not like to compare a painting with a picture, unless it is an expected likeness like a formal portrait. I want to see interpretation. But hey! that's me.

You could start a foilage beginner, advanced, and intermediate class perhaps starting with some of those who stand over your shoulder in master's class. Tell them "go away, I am here to learn. If you want me to teach you I have class at my apartment Tuesday at 10am, cost is 00.00. You gonna sign-up?"

suzpaints
04-21-2003, 10:32 PM
turned out just beautiful!!!

a lot of work - but time well spent! :)

Susie.

sweetbabydill
04-21-2003, 10:36 PM
beautiful job. You are so talented. I hope to paint landscapes as well as this someday. You are envyed (spelling?)
Carolyn

Frank Fan
04-21-2003, 11:45 PM
you are really a tree and foliage painting expert, thank you for shahring.

Faafil
04-22-2003, 12:50 AM
simply stunning.... :clap:

mchew
04-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Thank you all so much....

Sarah and Char.... you two made me laugh! :D

I'll add the orange tomorrow... but not too much or it'll turn into mud.

Auntie... in terms of painting experience and know-how... I'm still years behind them... but we always give words of advice and pointers to one another...

els
04-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Marvin, this is just lovely... Fantastic!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

R1achel
05-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Wow - this is gorgeous!! Just went over and looked at your Ebay auctions they look really wonderful too - I'll be watching you!
Rachel

M.A.
05-08-2003, 09:58 PM
Beautiful!!!

mhimeswc
05-09-2003, 12:51 AM
Wonderful trees. Beautiful painting.

Michelle

Mary Smith
05-09-2003, 08:29 AM
Incredibly beautiful. Your foliage is the best I have seen! I printed out your tutorial and I actually painted a decent tree after studying it! Thanks for writing that and putting in here for us!

DaZZer
05-09-2003, 06:33 PM
The foliage is fantastic Marvin.. My only slight criticism would maybe be the lack of reflection from the foliage in the water..but other than that it's another masterpiece