PDA

View Full Version : Washing around detail...Help!!!

l_wheat
04-20-2003, 05:19 AM
Hi All, just a quick question, I see all of you wonderful artists with incredible washes around great subject detail ie. ArtCrazy's Belgian horses, how do you do that? Do you mask the detail? If so does it take alot of frisket? Sorry for the lame-o question but I really want to get it down. Thanks, Lloyd

Yorky
04-20-2003, 07:34 AM
Hi Lloyd,

This is one of the difficult aspects of w/c, and why many people prefer to do the backgrounds first. Backgrounds are not my forté.

Generally its easier if you first dampen the paper around the detail with clean water, and wait for the gloss to go off it before starting to apply your background washes.

The wash will (hopefully) stop at the edge of the wet area, and being on a damp surface it will have a softer effect. Remember though that as there is water on the paper the resulting colour will be lighter.

There are some real experts out there (Turtle33 for example) who can probably help more.

Doug

CharM
04-20-2003, 07:42 AM
Lloyd, I really struggle with my backgrounds just like Doug... I have learned though, that you must PLAN what you want in behind your main area of interest (focal point? LOL). Then, paint your background first.

There are a lot of talented people here that can offer better advice than mine. I have to learn mine the hard way, it seems. Some prefer to paint the backgrounds after completing the main part of their picture...

M.A.
04-20-2003, 08:21 AM
What Doug says - dampen it first, it helps.

Yorky
04-20-2003, 10:04 AM
For an unusual way to paint the background afterwards see this thread by Turtle33 http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100609

Doug

pampe
04-20-2003, 10:26 AM
yup

that's it

and just care and patience around all those details....masking it all would be nuts! and sometimes the mask can pull off color:eek: