PDA

View Full Version : Portrait #6

M.A.
04-19-2003, 11:27 PM
Again, stayed up too late. Whoever said watercolour and WC! are addictive certainly knew what they were talking about!!!

Here is portrait #6 for the portrait exchange. As always, comments are welcome (in fact, they're invited).

For now, I can tell what was bothering me about this piece, her chin is out of kilter in this painting. Any suggestions how to fix this? Anything else my tired eyes may have missed? I have a few ideas rolling around in my head right now and will try to give it its due tomorrow.

Here she is...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/18725-Imagineel.jpg
And the reference photo is at the following link:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/ref_image_viewer.php?proj_id=404&img=imaginee.jpg

lyn lynch
04-19-2003, 11:35 PM
Soften the purple shadows in the chin area; see if that helps.
She is a beautiful woman isn't she?
Her hair looks very good.
I like to see a bit more shading on her nose.

M.A.
04-20-2003, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the tips Fookie. I'll get to it tomorrow. Night!

Rod
04-20-2003, 03:05 AM
Hi,
Your portrait is progressing well, love the way you have rendered the hair .

I'm not sure if the chin is the problem , the mouth and chin suggest the face is slightly turned . But the nose is straight on.

My suggestion would be to increase the shadow on the left side of the nose and try and move the nose tip highlight across to the right slightly and lift the side shading on the right .

If he face is on a slight side look, then you wouldn't see quite as much of the right side, perhaps bring the hair colour in slightly to reduce the amount of skin seen past the end of the eye and reduce the cheek also,

Rod.

ripvanblair
04-20-2003, 04:45 AM
Very nice, I like her smile, and I agree about the shadows--------well done-----------Alan

CharM
04-20-2003, 07:45 AM
Mary-Ann, I haven't any advice to offer... But I will give you moral support... You are cooking!!!!

M.A.
04-20-2003, 08:04 AM
Rod, Thank you for the detailed pointers here. I'll do that and post an update on this later today or tomorrow as time permits. (btw - I keep thinking of your onion lesson as I'm working on these portraits, your lesson about onions started to "unlock" something in me. I remember thinking if I can render an onion decently, maybe I can apply it to human skin tone. I have done your onion lesson at least nine times now and will do it again before the year it out).

Thanks Alan for your comment and encouragement.

Char - I'll take all the encouragement you've got!!! Thanks!

Best,

Little Old Lady
04-20-2003, 09:41 AM
Nice work and good suggestions.
JoAnn

pampe
04-20-2003, 10:31 AM
yau are really humming with these, aren't you

Good ideas from Auntie and Rod...look back again to see the results later

M.A.
04-20-2003, 07:47 PM
I'm working on this right now. Here's what I've done and an update ... guess this is turning into a WIP ... advice wanted!!!
:)
1. I changed the background, the purple background was bothering me.
2. Carved away some of that chin I had accidentally included on her beautiful face.
3. Made her lips a bit thicker as indicated in her reference photo (I hope).
4. Scrubbed and scrubbed. I'm gonna put more back in ... hopefully in the right places.

Here's the updated painting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/18725-imagineell.jpg

M.A.
04-20-2003, 08:41 PM
H eeeee llllll pppppppppppppp...........

Does WIP mean What to do when everything goes wrong??? I'm thinking of scratching it and moving along ... tackling it another day...

Here are some more developments ... the paper is starting to get raggy where I've been scrubbing ... that's just about everywhere!
:(
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/18725-imagineelll.jpg

Mary Smith
04-20-2003, 08:59 PM
She is gorgeous and the only thing that sticks out to me is the hair on HER right shoulder. It looks like it is cut that short and I see in the reference photo it is not, can you soften the edge a bit without the colors bleeding into her white blouse? If not just leave it. Who is she? Is she a wetcanvas member?

M.A.
04-20-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks for your comments and suggestion Mary. Yes, she is beautiful.

I feel that softening the edges along the hair you're referring to will net me new problems so for now I'm leaving it. I'm also thinking that maybe there are layers in her hair ... on the other side of her head there are wispies, who knows?

I've changed her eyes too. They were off kilter before.

Overall, I'm feeling a bit better about this "portrait" and feel that I have learned from it ... which is the purpose of this project ... at least it is for me.

Although I don't have many values in her skin tones, it doesn't look as blotchy IRL as it does scanned.

Here is the latest installation... any further suggestions? I'm listening.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/18725-imagineev.jpg

rks
04-21-2003, 03:20 AM
Mary-Ann, despite your problems, this has turned out very nicely. Haven't looked at your ref photo, but should there be a suggestion of teeth?

Roberta

M.A.
04-21-2003, 07:07 AM
Mary - I forgot to mention that she is a WC! member who, like the rest of us in this portrait exchange has kindly loaned her image so that we could practice and develop skills on. Brave, huh?

Roberta - Thanks for your kind comments. I'm looking to learn, so I guess in a way, I'm lucky I'm running into problems. I really don't know how to suggest teeth properly. Looking for ways to do it though. Any suggestions?

CharM
04-21-2003, 08:38 AM
Mary-Ann... take a deep breath.... There now... Your portrait has turned out beautifully and the WC member will be pleased and proud of it. She is beautiful and you've painted her beautifully. Your attitude about the learning experience is on the money!!! Remember that people who don't make mistakes don't do anything!!!!

M.A.
04-29-2003, 06:01 PM
Thanks, Char.