PDA

View Full Version : Shells WIP

babybrush
04-19-2003, 06:26 PM
This is far from done, but i thought i would grace you guys with a WIP since you seem to like them so much.

this is taken from a couple of Em's photos in the reference library. there are six shells all together, here are the first three partly done.

this is done on my new Arches 140 lbs hotpress block. it is different, but i think i like it.

Bethany

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/11882-shells_1.jpg

M.A.
04-19-2003, 06:41 PM
This is going to be lovely! You have a lot of depth and roundness to the shells, also I really like your colour choices.

surreal
04-19-2003, 07:53 PM
How interesting!
I look forward to seeing it completed!!!

CharM
04-19-2003, 08:46 PM
Bethany, I can see that this is already another winner... The shells have excellent form. Watching you develop their colour and detail is really going to be fun!

mustcreate
04-19-2003, 09:25 PM
oooooooooohhhhhh this is going to be wonderful!!!

such great colours already :)

thanks for the PM Bethany :)

em

lyn lynch
04-19-2003, 11:24 PM
Beautiful already! It looks done, for pete's sake.
Love your palette!! Especially the pink one.

babybrush
04-20-2003, 04:02 PM
thanks you guys, sorry it took me so long to answer, Easter and all you know.

Fookie-i'm using my three new colors i just got, Rose madder, ultramarine Blue and golden yellow, for this one. As usual i am only using the three primaries.

thanks everyone else for your lovely encouragement.

Bethany

Olga
04-20-2003, 04:31 PM
This is going to be very nice, Bethany. The colors are great (but rose madder is supposedly fugitive...)

Waiting for the next steps!

Olga

lyn lynch
04-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Yup, unless it's Rose Madder Genuine.

here (http://www.handprint.com)

Pamps, our princess, has been teaching me how-to put in the url business. I am particularly stupid and we finally get together with visuals. LOL. I was on the wrong page. So, I just put in handprint addy to see if I did it.

babybrush
04-20-2003, 09:51 PM
here is a quick update. i have finished the shells themselves (i think) now i have to add grounding shadows and some sort of background.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/11882-shells.JPG

Bethany

al22
04-20-2003, 11:22 PM
B, looking good..........think you need to develop you light source a bit more..........assuming light from right........the left side of the shells need to be a little darker to produce more volume......or 3-d illusion.......
What you have is very close to middle values........
Something to think about ........ You might take it to PS and play before you commit.......
Food for thought.........
.........al

babybrush
04-21-2003, 08:53 AM
thanks for looking and commenting al. i will have to look again at my values. it will look better once i have the background in, but i think that some of these shells are, as you say, middle values.

thanks again

Bethany

mustcreate
04-21-2003, 10:02 AM
this is looking terrific Bethany!!

you've handled the delicacies of the individual shells really well :)

I get a sense of light from these but you may want to look at it again once you have the background and cast shadows laid in :)

em

ps. how is your recovery coming along ?

babybrush
04-21-2003, 10:34 AM
thanks for checking in Em, i an feeling a little nervous abuot those background shadows...i have been recovering very well. i only had to take the pain meds twice yesterday and haven't taken any today. it is still slightly swollen, but hardly any pain anymore. thanks for asking.

Bethany

artcrazy
04-21-2003, 01:03 PM
love the shells!! I agree, maybe some darker values....

recovery?? what happened? :confused: I generally miss the daily wash b/c working so much these days, so I'm not sure what's going on? I hope you are ok! :angel:

babybrush
04-21-2003, 01:11 PM
thanks for looking artcrazy...:D i had a wisdom tooth out last thursday, so nothing too horrible, thanks for your concern.

bethany

Clasje
04-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Very realistic looking shells. Love your colour choices. Will for sure be looking at how you tackle the background.

Clasje :)

M.A.
04-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Very nice! looking forward to rthe next installation!

Sandy1
04-21-2003, 03:39 PM
WOW!l this is fabulous. Hope you are feeling better soon cause I can't wait to see the next picture.

I will say it again WOW.
Sandy

babybrush
04-21-2003, 04:04 PM
thanks Sandy, fun2, clasje. i've had alot of fun doing this one and i'm glad yall like it.

Bethany

babybrush
04-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Alright you guys, here is the final of this painting. i decided to not have a sand texture underneith. couldn't come up with a way to paint it without ruining what i have already done.

if you guys see something that bothers you please point it out and i will either tell you it is just the crappy scan or see what i can do to fix it.

Thanks Bethany

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/11882-shell_small.JPG

al22
04-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Hi B.......... colors/shapes/shading/shadows came out really good...........
It's your picture and forgive me plz for messing........but I'm just naturally a messer.........lol.......

I really think it looks kewl this way with this bit of crop........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/8880-shellbethanywc.jpg

..................al

Clasje
04-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Wow :clap: :clap: :clap: You really did a great job and turning it like Al did made it superb!!!

Clasje :)