PDA

View Full Version : First CP horse

lorna12
04-19-2003, 03:34 AM
With all you great color pencil people making this look so easy, I had to give it a try. Easy it's NOT !!

Of course I probably picked a tough one for my first......white horse on black strathmore paper 60lb. 9 X 12

All crits/advice and comments really appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/11613-cphorse_a.jpg

lorna12
04-19-2003, 03:44 AM
Here's the reference, a photo I took of a friend's horse.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/11613-cp_horse_3_a_.jpg

She-She
04-19-2003, 04:08 AM
You have a great start on this one Lorna! Just remember that the shadows are not just grey tones. There is blue, mauve, & peach as well. White (or greys as they should be called.....hey, I get nailed for it by other horsemen. :rolleyes:) horses are not easy, but they are fun to do. It's amazing the colors you have to use to get that "white" affect.

lorna12
04-19-2003, 05:19 AM
Hi she-she,

I guess it's not coming across very well in this scan but I did use several shades of blue, some yellow and gray and even pink, peach and a little purpleish mauve. Maybe I just didn't use enough? I had no idea how to work on the black, so I used a light coat of white to start then added some colors and then burnished in white.

Tell me more, please, I'm all ears! (or maybe in this case, eyes?)

artcrazy
04-19-2003, 08:01 AM
This is stunning!!!!! I think you have captured this horse's expression very well, and made her even prettier than the photo (if that's possible!!). :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

plumpfairy
04-19-2003, 08:45 AM
:D OMG! This is beautiful!
Excellent work!
jana:D :angel:

Wingnut
04-19-2003, 10:00 AM
You did a great job Lorna! :D You don't seem to need any help here really, but I'm going nit-pick a few tiny points - maybe not for this time, (don't mess this up it looks great!) but to maybe help you notice a few more details next time? Here goes; the ear is a bit thick, it just needs to be narrowed towards the top a bit. The eyelashes are usually only visible on the back half of the eye and need to be defined a bit more. The mouth needs to be extended a bit (that can really change the way the horse's whole muzzle looks) and if you finish the horse's body right into the corner it will make it look a bit more solid and... finished? Also, I didn't try to put it in (and maybe its just your scanner not picking it up) but you might have darkened the nose to a little darker grey (like in the photo) and define the raised edge of the nostril a bit more. These are just little nit-picky things that jump out at me (because I'm a detail freak as you know :rolleyes: ) but honestly, you could just do what your doing now and its wonderful too! You really did a great job! I hope your gonna do more CP horses in the future :D

shedreamsbig
04-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Hey Lorna!!

You joined in on the horsing around!!!:D

I think you did very very well! The only thing that really pops out at me is the ears, they are alittle thick at the top and maybe to rounded at the middle to top of the ear closest to me. But other than that, you have done a great job!!! Hey next you will be doing horses all the time!!

I have a question for you..... I have always wanted to see a horse done in scratch art!!! Hey if you do a wip I will get my supplies and do one too!! I am dying to try a dressage horse in scratch art!! :D You are so talented, it would be nice to see how you handle the smooth coat and the muscling...I thought about Stipple but that would take for ever on a good sized peice!! Don't you think???

Christina:D

Paul Hopkinson
04-19-2003, 12:32 PM
Lorna this looks great. I've also recently started with CP's but sometimes I just can't help going back to my watercolours or oils paints!
Nice one!
Paul

lorna12
04-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great comments!

artcrazy, stunning?? really? You are too kind! Thankyou so much!

Jana, thankyou and it's nice to 'see' you again!

Wingnut, you have no idea how much help I do need. I really appreciate your constructive critisms. It can only help my next one. Thankyou very much. I will definitely be doing one again.

Christina, thankyou for your nice words of encouragement!! If I'm going to try a scratchart one, it will be a simple one the first time. I don't know about dressage? I have a cute picture of a baby horse, Ive been thinking about doing, but we'll see. I want to try another cp first.

Paul, thankyou! I've seen your work and it's great! Don't we all head back to our comfort zone? But it's still good to push ourselves to try new things so we can continue growing. Sometimes we like the new thing, sometimes we hate it. (like me and pastels, ugh!)

Thanks again everyone, for your valuable input.

crazeejumper
04-19-2003, 05:24 PM
Wow, this is your first CP? Is it your first horse too? Beautiful work, Lorna!!! :clap:

She-She
04-19-2003, 07:06 PM
Sorry, I couldn't get back to this until now.

Originally posted by lorna12
Hi she-she,

I guess it's not coming across very well in this scan but I did use several shades of blue, some yellow and gray and even pink, peach and a little purpleish mauve. Maybe I just didn't use enough? I had no idea how to work on the black, so I used a light coat of white to start then added some colors and then burnished in white.

Tell me more, please, I'm all ears! (or maybe in this case, eyes?)

It must be the scan, it just doesn't pick up all the colors you have in there. You have done a great job on this one. You are one step ahead of me...I've never tried black paper yet.

k9artist
04-19-2003, 09:21 PM
Thats a difficult angle!! I think you did a great job!! It shows a lot of expression! You all are making me want to try CP..I do use some watercolor pencils with my W/C from time to time..maybe I should try a whole painting with them
Very nice indeed!
dana

lorna12
04-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Thankyou Crazee, She-She and Dana!

Crazee, no it's not my first CP, just my first CP horse. And not it's not my first horse, although the first one I did so loooong ago, it might as well be. It's pretty funny looking, but I'll share it with you.

First horse I ever drew:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/11613-horse_drawing.jpg__a.jpg

The paper has really yellowed and that poor little guy has really buggy eyes. It's pencil 8 x 10 about 100 years old.

This is my very first animal in color pencil:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/11613-Rusti.gif

crazeejumper
04-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Funny? LOL, you don't want to see my firsts!! ;)

k9artist
04-19-2003, 11:12 PM
It's pencil 8 x 10 about 100 years old.

How old does that make you!!! LOL
The first one reminds me of a book illustration and the second one is very nice!

lorna12
04-20-2003, 01:22 AM
Crazee, I showed you mine, you could show me yours!:D
Dana, I'll never tell!:D

Thank you, both.

white-anubis
04-20-2003, 10:25 AM
This is great! I think it looks better than the photo!

crazeejumper
04-20-2003, 04:08 PM
Okay, fine!! If you insist! :mad: :p I can't find my very first firsts, like from grade school, but here's an example of what most of my horses (well, this one's more of a pony) looked like before I started getting more serious in my art... as you can see... values, what values?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/13102-pony.JPG

And here's my first CP I completed last summer. I tackled an 18x24 right away (what was I thinking?). It took me so long that at the end, I was like, ah screw it, so my background looks pretty much like crap. (I do my backgrounds first now, lol.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/13102-ali.JPG

Now that you've stopped laughing... what do you think about starting a thread of "firsts" to see how much everyone's improved? I saw one in the CP forum and was thinking it would be cool to start one here, too. :D

white-anubis
04-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Well done for "firsts"! Even wayback you did pretty good, though I do see very marked improvement. I'm all for starting that "firsts" thread, to shy to stick my neck out, but I do have drawings from 2nd grade!

lorna12
04-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Isn't this fun!! Yes let's start a thread, "show us your firsts"

Connie, your 1st horse shows you were headed in the right direction, but I see what you mean by values. (Mine didn't have any either)

But, Holy Cow! Your 1st cp is great!! wow! The shine on the horse is wonderful, I like the composition, too. Nothing to laugh at there, girl!!!:clap: :clap:

I'm going to look and see if you started a 1st's thread and if you haven't I will.

crazeejumper
04-20-2003, 09:20 PM
Thanks, Lorna!

Suzy78
04-21-2003, 10:26 AM
OMG, all of your firsts make mine look even worse than I thought! :D
Suzy

I think we should do a thread of first and most recent...good thing I'm at work (and should be working on SAS doing my statistics..but this is so much more fun and I can't figure out where I screwed up my code, anyway!)...

Night Horse Studio
04-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Lorna,

Your horse turned out great! I hope you do more horses in CP's in the near future!

CJ, that was your first CP?? WOW! I am too embarrassed to show mine.

Stephanie

BTDogMom
04-22-2003, 01:59 PM
This is gorgeous, just like everything else u do! I really love it - I also love that little baby orangutang - how cute he is!!!:clap: :clap: