PDA

View Full Version : first attempt at oil pastels

white-anubis
04-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Doing this for one of the projects. Couldn't decide which animal to pick to do, so I combined all my "totems" into one animal, as usual. I think I should have probably done the background first, but I have no idea how background/foreground works with oil pastels. Which do you do first? Oh well, I'll squeeze the field and woods in somehow. Oh, he's part maned wolf/fox/jackal, sabre tooth tiger, rat, horse, and grackle. Probably some other critters mixed in. i think I like this medium. It's kind of like crayons. Thanks Christina for sending me the pastels! I'll post another pic when I finish him.<P></P>http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/14705-sarstart2.jpg

ironhorse
04-18-2003, 07:43 PM
Oh that really cool. In the blended parts it's does look a bit like oils!

Question for you. How does one find their totems? Always wanted to know mine.

Twyla

white-anubis
04-18-2003, 07:47 PM
Not sure really. Just the animal you feel the most affinity with, I think. And it can change as you do. I was a cobra when I was very little, then a mongoose! The irony! I wonder if the fact that I can't peg down just one means that I'm versatile?

Paul Hopkinson
04-18-2003, 08:33 PM
This is so unusual by yet sooo good! I hope you have given it a breed name.

Paul

shedreamsbig
04-19-2003, 12:39 AM
Wow!

That is so cool!! I am very glad you like the oil pastels!! I HATED THEM!!! LOL

You seem to have grasped the jest of them by the looks of it!! Great Job!!!

For what its worth my totem would be a HORSE!!! when I was very young I wanted a horse so bad my mom said that I went as far as acting like one till she finaaly broke down and bought me one!!! LOL okay so I am strange But The facts still to this day remain...... I LOVE HORSES!!!!!

Christina:D

BlackHorseDesign
04-19-2003, 06:23 PM
I'm still waiting to outgrow my desire to be a horse! :D

Some days, it sure would be nice to spend the day just grazing out in the field, basking in the sun....ahhhhhhhh (til some pesky human comes to disturb my slumber by making me WORK. hahaha)

artcrazy
04-19-2003, 06:38 PM
this is cute.......interested to see how it turns out!

my totem would surprisingly enough, NOT be a horse. I wanna be a seagull, not the ones at McDonalds!! The ones that soar over the water...........ahhhhhhhhhh......i told hubby last night that in my next life he's gonna be a dog, I'm gonna be a seagull,a nd I'm gonna fly overhead and poop on him!!! hee heee heeee!

I'll have to try the oil pastels sometime, too, before my next life ;)

white-anubis
04-20-2003, 05:59 AM
It's funny how some people you can tell what animal they are right away and others are illusive. I've known people who are cats, wolves, cheetahs, horses, and ferrets! Ferret guy was hilarious. Dare him to do anything and he'd do it, even got him to snort pixie sticks! My husband's a moth/bobcat. Seagulls are great. I can make a noise that sounds exactly like one. So that when my class goes out on break I can get all of them to look up and duck!:evil:
I had originally called this critter "Sar" because of it's roar, but with this new virus out, I should probably change the name. Maybe Plurizoologica or something.:confused:
I've finished the critter. I'll get a pic posted as soon as I get the camera back. Probably Sunday.
One thing that drives me nutty about the oil pastels is I can't be absolutely precise with them. I like to be able to get hair-thin lines and tiny details. Gary (my mentor) suggested I use paint thinner, but I got scared. Not brave enough to try it yet.

white-anubis
04-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Sorry about the wait. Camera needed minor repair. But here he is, all finished!<P></P>http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/14705-negratizaop.jpg

MKathleen
04-23-2003, 12:10 AM
Hi walerian:
Wow this is so creative excellent inventiveness!
Many years ago I started with oil pastel and later went on to hard and soft pastel. I remember like you thinking it was like coloring and really enjoyed the process. I usually always did the back ground first then the subject. For the back ground I always applied turpentine over the oil pastel with a brush. For the subject I also used turps with the oil pastel for a wash like effect, then went back in using thicker strokes of the oil pastel.
All my photo's are in storage due to our relocation to Arizona or I could show you an example of this technique.
Best,
Kathy:)

white-anubis
04-23-2003, 08:37 AM
thanks! This helps immensely!