PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Riot 18th to 25th. Spring time!

ginatec
04-18-2003, 07:23 PM
A new week and a new riot.
As it is Spring I thought that would be good as a theme. I am posting 3 references of Blossom and Flowers but you are free to decide what you think is symbolic of Spring time. I look forward to seeing your ideas.
For those of you new to this weekly thread, Rd2ruin came up with the idea of having a weekly subject that we all paint and post so we can compare each artist's interpretation of the subject. These are not timed paintings. They are studies of a subject.

The first person to post in this thread gets to open and pick the new riot thread!

Hope you like the pictures for this week...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/14534-166684appleblossoms2-med.jpg

OR

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/14534-12166casfoxglove1-med.jpg

OR

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/14534-3996geckonia_tulips-med.jpg

sweetiness
04-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Excellent choice of subject matter! It's going to be very hard to choose. (If I even find the time to paint one):(

sundiver
04-18-2003, 09:23 PM
Yaay! (See, that wasn't so hard!):D
Great images. Now to choose one...............

butterfly
04-18-2003, 11:51 PM
Gina:

Great choices ... gosh now I have to pick one ... the poor horsies are never gonna get done ... Like this much better (don't tell my daughter).

Wow decisions ... decisions ....

Thanks,
Butterfly/Roni

ginatec
04-19-2003, 02:41 AM
I have a sneaky feeling that one of the reference photos should have been mine...however I liked these!:D I know which one I am going to start!

Dark_Shades
04-19-2003, 05:32 AM
Well done Gina.......... excellent choices..... love them all

bnoonan
04-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Great choice Gina thanks!!!

Good theme too - we need to revel in all that spring glory and blooms.

Dawn - you get to do the middle one (the foxglove) it has lots of green in it.

Barb
:) :evil: :angel: :)

Dark_Shades
04-19-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by bnoonan
Great choice Gina thanks!!!

Good theme too - we need to revel in all that spring glory and blooms.

Dawn - you get to do the middle one (the foxglove) it has lots of green in it.

Barb
:) :evil: :angel: :)

Funny how you go off people in here so quickly.... innit :D

bnoonan
04-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Dawn, the only reason I can say that is I also can't do greens. So I challenge you!!! Barb

Dark_Shades
04-19-2003, 02:17 PM
we both do the foxgloves one? ...... grrrrrr lol fanxs buddy ;) ..... ok......
I did the vase one this afternoon, on that sample pastel cloth.... :P :P :P ........ horrible..... dont like that at all

..... ok Im off to start on the digitalis lol...... you better follow me Barb hee hee

ginatec
04-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
I did the vase one this afternoon, on that sample pastel cloth.... :P :P :P ........ horrible..... dont like that at all

..... ok Im off to start on the digitalis lol...... you better follow me Barb hee hee

OK then Dawn...where is the vase one, we girls are all sat here on the edge of our computer chairs waiting to see it!:D
Looking forward to seeing the 'green challenge' if only I had know earlier LOL:evil: :evil:

Dark_Shades
04-19-2003, 05:07 PM
I threw it in the bin..... what else would I do with it lol ...... I dont wanna be first posting hee hee

Dark_Shades
04-19-2003, 06:46 PM
I am I the only one who hasnt got a life or something :confused: :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/12116-foxgloves.jpg

need to tidy it up......... tomorrow :)

JamieWG
04-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Woohoo, Dawn! GORGEOUS! Well worth the wait.

Jamie

bnoonan
04-19-2003, 07:34 PM
Dawn - that's gorgeous. I knew you would master that baby.

I've gotten to the point of placing the photo on my drawing board and then walked away. Oh well - maybe I'll attempt it this weekend.

Again - nice job. I like the way you selected your composition!!!

Barb

sundiver
04-19-2003, 07:35 PM

Not quite the only one!:) (o.p. 6x9)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/6393-tulipsforginasriot.jpg

Beautiful job on those blues, btw!

Dark_Shades
04-20-2003, 04:31 AM
lovely Wendy ........ great colours in the shadows and walls...... hey this is a tiddler lol ..... smaller than I do :D
Id like to do this one again, will have to have a rummage to find a bit of paper..... I only have ONE sheet of black left :eek:

ginatec
04-20-2003, 06:04 AM
Sundiver I love the way you handled the background and used all those blues...it's so pretty!

Fantastic work Dawn...I love the way you did your greens. Hmm...I did not know that greens were so hard to do. Now as you have a painting in the bin...I may just add this one as well so it is not lonely! It's a disaster but I will be brave and post it...that is the only way yo learn. The laugh is that this is the third medium I have done this in now. I have it in oil and larger in Acrylic...so why did I think it would be easy in Pastel. Size 11 x 8.
I think I should hve blended this more and the choice of paper was not a good one!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/14534-pastletulip.JPG

Mo.
04-20-2003, 08:05 AM

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/12116-foxgloves.jpg

need to tidy it up......... tomorrow :)

This is beatimous Dawn. :clap: :clap:

Mo.

Mo.
04-20-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by sundiver

Not quite the only one!:) (o.p. 6x9)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/6393-tulipsforginasriot.jpg

Beautiful job on those blues, btw!

Gorgeous sundiver, and so tiny!!! Love the sunlight on the wall and those lovely shadows.:clap: :clap:

Mo.

Mo.
04-20-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by ginatec
Sundiver I love the way you handled the background and used all those blues...it's so pretty!

Fantastic work Dawn...I love the way you did your greens. Hmm...I did not know that greens were so hard to do. Now as you have a painting in the bin...I may just add this one as well so it is not lonely! It's a disaster but I will be brave and post it...that is the only way yo learn. The laugh is that this is the third medium I have done this in now. I have it in oil and larger in Acrylic...so why did I think it would be easy in Pastel. Size 11 x 8.
I think I should hve blended this more and the choice of paper was not a good one!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/14534-pastletulip.JPG

Don't you dare bin this Gina... I absolutely forbid you....it's full of movemnet and light...those flowers are very goghesque. :)

Great pics to choose from, so saved all three, doesn't mean I'll do them all tho' :D

Cheers,
Mo.

bnoonan
04-20-2003, 12:00 PM
Wendy - beautiful job. Gina you too!

it's fun to see them back to back and what you've both chosen for color variations.

Wendy - excellent job on the vase and the flowers - love the feeling of light across the back wall.

Gina - there is a sense of movement in the tulips that I really like as well as the warm colors you enhanced in the background. Beautiful.

You both must be very pleased.

Barb

(Happy Easter)

Dark_Shades
04-20-2003, 12:10 PM
found a pastel board Id scribbled on........ so scribbled some more, until I got bored...... :D
and that point I posted it

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/12116-shade.jpg

you'll be pleased to hear my paper supplies, let alone pastels are rapidly diminishing........ so you wont see me anymore lol

Dark_Shades
04-20-2003, 12:13 PM
Barb, ....... wheres your challenge....... no good wishing happy easters trying to get out of it lol...... nor baking and burning cookies as an excuse :)

love the rich warm colours in yours Gina

and Sundiver.... yours is so pretty

bnoonan
04-20-2003, 12:37 PM
Dawn, the piece on the easel is on the way... though I can't recall painting worse. I may try this again but promise to share what I've done first.

Nice job on the tulips!!!

Barb

sundiver
04-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Gina, I like the vibrancy of your tulips and the way they look so full and roound with just a few well-placed strokes.
Dawn, yours are so soft and subtle- a different mood altogether.
I'm glad you were the first poster! Not that's a big deal to post a couple of images, but have you noticed how dead the April project is? I don't know if it's the images or the theme that's off the mark, but of 10 posts, all but 4 are mine! So I'm a little hesitant to force any more images down anyone's throats at the moment.... glad I don't have to!

Dark_Shades
04-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
Gina, I like the vibrancy of your tulips and the way they look so full and roound with just a few well-placed strokes.
Dawn, yours are so soft and subtle- a different mood altogether.
I'm glad you were the first poster! Not that's a big deal to post a couple of images, but have you noticed how dead the April project is? I don't know if it's the images or the theme that's off the mark, but of 10 posts, all but 4 are mine! So I'm a little hesitant to force any more images down anyone's throats at the moment.... glad I don't have to!

Funny Wendy I meant to mention your thread to you ...... no, its a wonderful project..... the only thing for me is, I didnt realise, its bad enough to have to get one painting half way decent lol..... let alone two!!! - Im stuck on how to do a different interruptation.... as I can only do what I do ...... please dont be disheartened

ginatec
04-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Nice work Dawn...I love the soft feel you have obtained! It is great to see how everyone renders this and their ideas for color!

guilliame
04-20-2003, 06:28 PM
Well Sundiver,DS and Ginatec i like all of your versions all different and i guess mines different again.but there are parts of yours i wish i could put in mine:D
Iwas attracted by the shadows which wendy has done nicely and i like the painting of the flowers done by Ginatec,someone said they were tulips so i'll have to find a picture as i cant really define the shape of these flowers in the picture if i decide to continue as i.m thinking to work on the contrast of the shadows but as DS said i'm bored with it especially the flowers and green bits:)

Dark_Shades
04-20-2003, 07:01 PM
nice work there guilly............ light, bright and airy

ginatec
04-21-2003, 02:17 AM
Looks good Guilliame, you got some nice soft lights! The Tulips are the frilly parrot type.

Mo.
04-21-2003, 01:38 PM
It's like a florists shop in here with all these blooming flowers :D

Good 'uns Dawn and Guilly, apart from Dawn's lovely foxgloves, it's strange everyone has done the vase of tulips, anyway here's some apple blossoms to add to the pollen count. :D

Oil pastels on black Cansons 8x12

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/5154-appleblossoms.jpg

cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
04-21-2003, 01:53 PM
Thats lovely Mo ....... I was gonna go for the hat trick this week lolol

the whites are so pretty

ginatec
04-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Thats lovely Mo ....... I was gonna go for the hat trick this week lolol

the whites are so pretty

Brilliant work Mo!
I would like to do it as well, but it has so many green leaves in...I don't seem to do green very well!

Dark_Shades
04-21-2003, 03:44 PM

Brilliant work Mo!
I would like to do it as well, but it has so many green leaves in...I don't seem to do green very well!

Join the club Gina :crying:

Mo.
04-21-2003, 06:24 PM
Thanks Dawn and Gina...that's the beauty of oil pastels ...lovely selection of greens and the darks are really, really dark.....thought I'd rub it in a bit :evil: :D

cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
04-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Guilliame, you don't need to define those tulips further; they are perfectly tulip-y as is. Nice work.
Mo, the blossoms are gorgeous!

ginatec
04-22-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
Thanks Dawn and Gina...that's the beauty of oil pastels ...lovely selection of greens and the darks are really, really dark.....thought I'd rub it in a bit :evil: :D

cheers,
Mo.

Ha...so that is why I have a bright green nose then!:D :evil:

Dark_Shades
04-22-2003, 04:59 PM

Ha...so that is why I have a bright green nose then!:D :evil:
haha Gina....... and so thats why DH, keeps saying I look like a commando at weekends lol