04-18-2003, 06:41 PM
on 1/2 sheet MASA paper

comments welcomed

still plan to do some "cracks" in the BG

what else?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/4054-Petroglyphs.jpg

M.A.
04-18-2003, 06:52 PM
I think this is an excellent idea. Fantastic colours. Are you trying to create a petroglyph the represents today or pre-historic time?

surreal
04-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Lovely!

pampe
04-18-2003, 07:18 PM
geesh, Mary Ann....you ask tough questions.....I think it is historical with a modern twist

thanks, Nina

FOR FOOKIE

I am BURNISHING parts of this with what you sent me....

pictures don't show it well and the masa paper doesn't take it well, but it looks good here in person!

M.A.
04-18-2003, 07:20 PM
Pam, do you have a good definition or "how-to" on burnishing? I received a beautiful pastel postcard in pc#4 and I want to eventually display it, for now, I'm afraid to touch it, afraid I'll ruin it.

pampe
04-18-2003, 07:22 PM
LOLOL

I don't even know waht it is, Mary Ann...but fookie sent me an e mail telling me how to do it.....haven't read it yet.,...just started putting this copper leaf on the painting....if it's ok with her, I'll send you the directions

what are you going to do?

M.A.
04-18-2003, 07:26 PM
I just want to burnish the image that was sent to me so that it is set and that between now and the time I get it properly displayed it doesn't get damaged. For now, it's in an archival plastic envelope, under transparent paper, in a folded piece of paper ... it's beautiful and I like to take it out and look at it but I think I might damage it.

Plus, my mother wants me to take my pastels back ... might fiddle a bit in that direction too.

mustcreate
04-18-2003, 07:48 PM
oh I like this!!

it will look good with cracks with darks!!

copper leaf burnishing looks cool...is that like gold leaf? I've never tried it but it looks fun!!

em

CharM
04-18-2003, 08:26 PM
Pam, did I miss something... did you crumple your paper? I love the effect! And the burnishing! Wow...

Mary-Ann, since history repeats itself, the petrographs could represent "life"... ???

Little Old Lady
04-18-2003, 08:32 PM
Great job. I have a friend who uses masa paper a lot. Another thing to try.
Mary Ann I was wondering why the pastel cards sent weren't sprayed with fixative? Guess I should ask the creators.
JoAnn

taghera
04-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Looks like fun Pam...excellent...:)

pampe
04-18-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by fun2cook
I just want to burnish the image that was sent to me so that it is set and that between now and the time I get it properly displayed it doesn't get damaged. For now, it's in an archival plastic envelope, under transparent paper, in a folded piece of paper ... it's beautiful and I like to take it out and look at it but I think I might damage it.

Plus, my mother wants me to take my pastels back ... might fiddle a bit in that direction too.

Mary Ann...you don't burnish pastels?

you spray them with fixative or Damar Varnish and then frame...

looser the better.....I send my EBAy ones without fixative even-

Annetta
04-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Another unique beauty on its way :clap: The only other thing I might add is a small handprint somewhere? I've seen those in petroglyphs.

Love the close up of the copper leaf. That looks awesome. I've heard of burnishing. Claudia Nice refers to "bruising" in her book; pressing a sharp stick, etc. into the paper, which makes the colors collect dark in those areas. Sounds like he same technique you're using ?

*watching and waiting for the finale* :D

violet feme
04-18-2003, 10:31 PM
:cool: I like it Pam! What is MASA paper? is that why it's crinkly?
The copper is so cool........is it like gold leaf.........oooh I want to try that!

pampe
04-18-2003, 11:11 PM
Char...yes, this is a rice paper...and you wet it and crumple it...leaves wondeful wrinkles

thanks, Hugh...where ya been?

lyn lynch
04-18-2003, 11:28 PM
Wonderful, wonderful, WON DER FULLLLLLLL
I KNEW YOU COULD DO THIS!!!!!
It's....Its....It's....WON DER FUL

I'd love to try that Masa paper sometime too. I saw most beautiful portrait on it at local art gallery last year.
Do NOT burnish pastel...burnish ruin pastel. Oh my! ...pm to sender and ask if fixitive applied before sending.

Pamps, you send any direction-type stuff I send you to whomever you choose, but I take no responsibility for end result. :eek:

This so gorgeous, I am so happy. Finger print sounds good addition, just a hint to show remnant of where early man leaned against wall painting. I can't remember size of this work but if large enough use side of your hand or little fingertips.

Crevices will put this over the top...

M.A.
04-18-2003, 11:41 PM
Ha! I not burnish no pastel yet ... not til i GET FULL AND COMPLETE INFO ... apparently burnishing pastel not best idea ... hmmm... must to go back to source....

M.A.
04-19-2003, 12:06 AM
btw - I was told to burnish it with the back of a spoon (covered with a piece of paper ... ideas?

Gilberte
04-19-2003, 05:11 AM
very special Pam ... some darks ... ? ... yes .... I would say !

karenjh
04-19-2003, 09:21 AM
Pampe,
Nice painting and wonderful idea. Is this Masa paper tough to work with? When I think of rice paper (which I haven't tried or seen) I think it must be thin and difficult. What do you think?

al22
04-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Those two guys admiring their new Harley.........are kewl.........!
Think line into rock should be wider....
.......too much diet coke......
Waiting for big finish........
......al

pampe
04-19-2003, 06:21 PM
handprint sounds good, Annetta, thanks

V femme...MASA is a rice paper...CHEAP JOE's has it...you wet it and crinkle it up...leaves wonderful lines....I also did this one on Masa a couple years ago:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2003/4054-cacti.jpg

thanks, Auntie:D ...your stuff made it work!!

MA..sendin info now

karen..it is a bit different...no masking...and it doesn't take much manipulation.....sort of drop the paint and forget it....very thin
..but extraordinary ofor certain subjects I think

al....Harley look ok?

:rolleyes:

karenjh
04-19-2003, 07:51 PM
Pam, I like this one you did a couple of years ago. Looks like an abstract of a bunch of those flat leafed kind of cactuses. Very cool.

Uschi
04-19-2003, 10:41 PM
Great job on both Pam!!!! Wonderful, unique idea on first!!!!
Uschi

P.S. I have tried Maza paper - fun!!!!

lyn lynch
04-19-2003, 11:30 PM
:confused: I miss something? Where next picture? :confused:

No, Pamps, not my stuff--your skill made it.
I just give you a little glitz to embellish.

pampe
04-20-2003, 10:38 AM
karen...it IS catcus....my first SOLD painting....always be a favorite....called it Cacti-yi-yi (you can really see the spikes on the photo

thanks, Ush

Next picture is playing golf today, sister

pampe
04-20-2003, 03:04 PM
maybe some cracks with ink?

what do you think?

CharM
04-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Oh.. My... Gosh!!!

...there is so much to look at! Absolutely incredible. I haven't found the hand/thumb/finger print yet...:)

pampe
04-20-2003, 10:11 PM
tis there:D

al22
04-20-2003, 11:05 PM
I like these ........remind me of looking at clouds as a child.....I see all kinds of things and the more I look the more I see.....
Nice use of color and texture.....
......al

dspinks
04-20-2003, 11:43 PM
Ooooh, I see them - fingers!

I like the cracks and ink.

Debra

pampe
04-21-2003, 09:31 AM
thanks, Debra

al...nice visions

mustcreate
04-21-2003, 09:59 AM
this is really great!!

such bold colour and so many interesting images and patterns to look at.

*I still can't find the hand/finger prints* :rolleyes:

em

pampe
04-21-2003, 01:49 PM
hand's here