GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Old bridge
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 10 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a painting of an old rustic bridge in France. I rather liked the composition.
I'm not sure if the wall is convincingly vertical in the foreground.
I'm not sure either if there's too much green grass in the foreground and too large an expanse of blue sky.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments are welcome as to how I may improve it.

jerryW
04-18-2003, 06:30 PM
I like how organic and alive it seems

bocote
04-18-2003, 07:43 PM
this is good work. It has a romantic feel and the forms are solid. The composition is indeed good. I am not worried personally about the grass area or sky; they seem to have good weight.

I am not sure how to improve this which is your question. It sounds like you arent as happy with it as you should be.

After taking some time to really look at it I started to feel a little away from the bridge. The entrance to the bridge seems blocked.

have fun,

Bocote

woodguy
04-18-2003, 07:58 PM
Other than the blocked entrance to the bridge, this is very, very good! Jim

coulter
04-18-2003, 08:10 PM
This is soft and real and wonderfully muted!! The wall looks fine! I would love to see some more of your work!!

Mark

NickJW
04-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Looking at the painting now I can see that the access to the bridge is indeed rather blocked.
I think I will replace some of the hedge at the left with a simple wooden gate hinged on the end of the bridge and left slightly open. This should hopefully invite the viewer into the picture more and lead them over the bridge.

qaziasif
04-19-2003, 03:10 PM
dear when i first c ur painting. i had one thing in mind why the grass have patches like cactus. is it necessary for the composition whereas ur using very plane grass everywhere. may be thats the reason its not like grassy field but rather more like flock of small plants.

but really ur painting amaze me a lot.. its very nice