PDA

View Full Version : Cicada

KansasLady
04-18-2003, 08:04 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/7833-Cicada.JPG

Watercolors with a bit of colored pencil.
My instructor told us to interpret a phrase on a 5X7 piece of heavy matt or illustration board. The phrase was "adapts one's journey to the continued search of life/long beauty".

Cicadas (we call them locusts around here) are interesting insects. They live underground for 17 years until they crawl out as larvae and climb a tree and change into this flying insecting about 2" long. Little boys love to catch them for the awful racket they make.

Uschi
04-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Very well painted, wonderful eyes!!!!
Uschi

CharM
04-18-2003, 08:25 AM
Your interpretation of that phrase is right on the money! Good job. I love how you painted his body!!!

Loki
04-18-2003, 11:43 AM
I like insects, this one is very nice, leaving its old skin behind... you captured it quite well, good job!

Carole A
04-18-2003, 12:11 PM
That brings back a lot of memories. I grew up in Kansas. You painted him just as I remember them.

Carole

Starsprite
04-18-2003, 12:22 PM
Reminds me of being chased with the empty locust shells as a kid...LOL. I hated the look of those things!!

You did a fantastic job with this Barb!!!!! They are an interesting insect for sure! I especially like the eyes. :) :clap: :clap:

KansasLady
04-19-2003, 09:58 AM
Thanks, Uschi, I always enjoy doing the eyes. That's when the critter comes alive!

CharM, it was a challenging phrase. Some in the class still don't know what they want to paint and he gave us the phrase over a month ago. Thanks for your comment.

Loki, as a former kindergarten teacher, I learned to appreciate insects too. I had to!;) Thanks.

Carole and Patty (Starsprite), we never had these back in Idaho when I grew up. These and fireflies were something new. Thanks for viewing and commenting.

Lynxes123
04-19-2003, 01:25 PM
What a wonderful painting and done so well! I remember those creepy bug shells sticking to trees also. I love the loud buzzy sound they make in summer. I am amazed that they spend 17 years underground, I never knew that. I love his beady little eyes. :cool:
Lynxes

pampe
04-19-2003, 05:44 PM
kool painting'

*hate those creatures though*

but they are a great role model for transition and patience!