PDA

View Full Version : Stonehenge

Faafil
04-18-2003, 06:45 AM
Hi all,

Worked on this tonite - 1/2 sheet Arches 300# cp, W&N artist colors. I used cerulean, burnt sienna & a touch of perm rose for the stones...

Not sure what to do with it next...:confused: do I need to go a little darker ?? What about the foreground - I'm having a heck of a time with washes lately. Shoot, I'm struggling altogether...:eek:

Any comments/advice is greatly appreciated. (We visited there last summer and this is gonna be a gift for hubby)... :D

here's the ref photo I took:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/3876-Stonehenge_photo.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/3876-Stonehenge.jpg

Thanks for viewing, have an inspiring day!

painterbear
04-18-2003, 06:54 AM
Hi Faafil,

You are off to a great start, the drawing is excellent and your stones have form and texture. I like the bits of color I see glowing amongst the grey here and there. I think you could still add some shadowing and darken around the bottom of the stones to sit them more firmly in the ground.

The grasses in the foreground could definitely be darker and more textured. How about some salt and spatters there?

Look forward to watching your finish. I think your husband will really enjoy this memento of your trip.

Turtle33
04-18-2003, 07:43 AM
hi Faafil :)
i agree with Sylvia about the grass. some texture would be good...even some fine detail blades of grass? i am not sure you like that sort of thing though. the grass does need some darks too
the rocks are awesome! your depth and structure are great!

i think some more shadowing on the grass too?

Annetta
04-18-2003, 08:36 AM
....this is looking great! I will be interested to see how you finish the grass....I struggle with my grass just being green with no depth or variation.....kinda like my skies :p

Little Old Lady
04-18-2003, 08:41 AM
Great start. If you want a more abstract type painting I like it as is.
JoAnn

artmom
04-18-2003, 08:45 AM
There's a thread here somewhere posted by Pampe, titled Stonehenge and it is a WIP. You might want to check it out just to get some ideas.

You have a good start here:)

Lyn

CharM
04-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Wow, this is going to be wonderful. Such a nice gift for your hubby. IMHO, I would like to see a little more definition in your clouds. You have good suggestions for your shadows and foreground. The texture of your stones is great...

Rosemarie
04-18-2003, 09:56 AM
It is stunning!
Only one thing, the foreground you could cut 2/3 off. Try it in the computer, it will give more focus on the stones and sky.

Good work:cat:

mhimeswc
04-18-2003, 10:20 AM
I too think that when you get some of the grass area darkened and textured it will look great. It you don't want it too detailed, you can just darken the bottom of the foreground grass, and then add a little spatter.

Michelle

Faafil
04-18-2003, 11:10 AM
Hi everyone ! Wow, thanks for all your input....

Sylvia - Thank you ! I have such a hard time with large expanses of paper :eek: I'm gonna try grounding those stones a bit more, and work on the foreground...
Sarah - I'll try some blades of grass and texture in the front... for me, the rocks were the easiest part ! :D Thanks for looking!
Annetta - 'know whatcha mean... my skies and grass always get the better of me...
JoAnn - Thank you... but I'm gonna struggle some more with it... ;)
Lyn - I remember seeing that thread, I'll do a search for it... thanks!
Char - Thank you ! i did the clouds first because I have so much trouble with them - almost ruined it right from the start ! :eek: I may practice on another piece of paper before I go back into the sky tho... :) (I do have to get rid of that touch of raw sienna in they sky - I was looking at Rod's tutorial - hmmmm.... how come mine doesn't look like his ?? :D
Rosemarie - you're right ! I'm gonna try some texture and spatter in the foreground, and if it doesn't work, I can always crop ! :D
Michelle - I do like spattering, so that's now part of the plan.... thank you !

Thanks everyone - I got a busy day ahead of me, so won't get to work on this until later tonite - I'll post my (hopefully) progress...

You guys are great !

al22
04-18-2003, 11:54 AM
I like the idea of a crop....... the composition lends itself to panoramic style picture........

Something like this is quite nice........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/8880-shwc.jpg

..............al

yahooserious
04-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Really like the painting, agree on most suggestions, but the best is Al's crop....It really would be a standout painting!!

Emilie

Giselle
04-18-2003, 02:13 PM
Wonderful painting! I like your fresh clean colors. You have good suggestions, the crop sounds very good.

Yorky
04-18-2003, 03:35 PM
I agree, you need some texture on the stones and in the field. I often use the following technique to liven up foreground grass:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/1046-Grass.jpg

Doug

Faafil
04-18-2003, 08:36 PM
Hi Al - hey, I like that crop you did... thanks! You and Rosemarie have the right idea.... :D

Emilie and Giselle, Hi ! Thanks for taking a look and for your nice comments.. :)

Doug, thanks very much for the example, I think I can do that.... It really helps to see how it's done.... I appreciate it... :D

Thanks again everyone.... I'm gonna go fix dinner and try to get some more done on that painting before we leave for San Diego tomorrow, otherwise I won't get a chance until Monday :(

Happy Easter !

Mary Lou

taghera
04-18-2003, 08:46 PM
Nice clean painting Mary Lou...agree the grass needs a bit of work...:)

Rich Williams
04-18-2003, 09:52 PM
The example that Yorky gave you will do well for the foreground grass. If you have a short stiff brush (old oil painting brush) they work well in doing grass.

Rich

Faafil
04-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Hugh dahling ! Thanks for taking a peek... I didn't get a chance to work on this last night, but when I do, it just ocurred to me that Stonehenge may just be the place where those Haggis hide during the off-season....:D you gave me an idea ! :evil: :D :evil:

Hi Rich... I do have an old oil brush... I'm gonna give that a whirl.....

Hope everyone has a Happy Easter, I'm off to San Diego...

Have an inspiring day !

Mary Lou

mustcreate
04-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Wonderful start to this Mary Lou!!

such clean clear washes......what a fabulous base for some finishing details!

you've recieved some great ideas.

I love the crop idea.....makes for the tried and true "thirds" composition.

I'd like to see some horizontal stripey layers in the grass like in the ref pic.

sky is terrific!! just a few darks billowy shadows on the bottoms of the clouds would complete it perfectly :)

can't wait to see the end result :)

em

lyn lynch
04-19-2003, 12:54 PM
I like crop at end of lighter hue of greenery. I know that lowers the horizon line, but I think it still give dominence to Stonehenge. Oh, I see Al popped in w/visual--yes, that's exactly where I was intending. Puts more interest on Stonehenge.
thanks for the grass Doug, looks wonderful. Would that go to deepen Stoneheng?

OK! Gee, I didn't mean to turn your studio into a conversation, but I did. :) This was good learning experience for me too, who is struggling with landscape composition.

Stone work is wonderfully done, could have a bit more dark cracks, etc. to liven it up if you like. Sky great.

Looks good, crop it. :D

Lynxes123
04-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Wow! This looks like a gorgeous painting to me and very well done! I would love to see Stonehenge!:clap:
Lynxes:cat:

pampe
04-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Faaf, Ilove this

CROP is a good idea...and adding texture or color to the foreground a must

You nailed the rest wonderfully.

HEY...you going to SD....don't miss OLd TOwn and Balboa Park...take lots of lics!!!!

Faafil
04-21-2003, 11:22 PM
Hope everyone had a Happy Easter!

Em, thankyou ! I love Al's crop, so that's definitely the way it will be framed.... :)

fookie, you're right, now that I look at it again, I may try to add some more cracks in the stones....

Lynx, thanks, hope you get to visit Stonehenge someday, it's an amazing place...

Pamps, thanks ! SD was fun, but didn't make it to OT or BP... in-laws live there, so we go quite often... it's only a 2 hour drive for us.... next time... :D

Here's Stonehenge with a few mods... I still have a long way to go on painting convincing grass and sky...but I did mix up the foreground a bit, and went back into the sky and added a few darker clouds.... I'm so afraid to ruin it, I'm not sure if I'm going to go much further with it or not.... there is one tiny little "peak" that sneaked into the background that I'm going to round out...

whaddya think? Should I tackle it so more, or leave well enough alone ?? :confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2003/3876-128-2819Stonehenge.jpg

Thanks for all your help !! Have an inspiring day....

Yorky
04-22-2003, 03:17 AM
Wow! What an improvement! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You have really pulled it off with the amendments you made.

No criticism from me on the sky, I know how difficult it is to get the effect you are aiming for, the sky is lovely.

The added texture to the foreground also adds scale to the stones.

Overall - lovely job.

Doug

painterbear
04-22-2003, 05:30 AM
The changes you've made have really added to the painting a lot. I know the feeling when you don't want to risk something you are happy with by continuing to fiddle with it.

It looks good, and it will look even better with a mat and glass and a frame. I'm sure your husband is going to love it.

ripvanblair
04-22-2003, 05:40 AM
This is good Mary Lou, there is an aura round these stones I think you've captured some of the mystery--------well done---------Alan

M.A.
04-22-2003, 06:28 AM
Lovely painting. Crop improves it.

Little Old Lady
04-22-2003, 07:50 AM
Very nice finish. I like the whole thing.
JoAnn

CharM
04-22-2003, 08:32 AM
Beautiful finish!:clap: Your husband is going to be sooo pleased and proud!

al22
04-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Nice finish.............gonna be classy...........
.........al

Olga
04-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Cropping it and adding the texture made a lot of difference here :)

Nice painting.

Olga

Annetta
04-22-2003, 12:46 PM
Wonderful finish to this Faa!! Stones are awesome! :clap: :clap:

I agree painting ground cover can be a real "Pain in the Grass". :p

Faafil
04-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Doug, Painterbear, Alan, Fun2, LOL, Char, Al, Olga, Annetta.....thanks so much for your nice comments and help...:D Annetta, lol, most definitely a 'pain in the grass'.... :D

sorry I didn't pop in sooner to say thanks for all your help and encouragement, but I've been down with a horrible flu bug since Tues evening.... I lost 6 lbs !!! blah....

starting to feel human again.... :rolleyes:

Have a most inspiring day !