PDA

View Full Version : "Daily Wash" Friday April 18th

kathsnow
04-18-2003, 02:18 AM
May I take this opportunity of opening Daily Wash with best wishes for a very Happy Easter to all W/C's.

Brelaina
04-18-2003, 02:34 AM
Godd Morning and Good Night !

This is the first time I've ever had a chance to join the daily wash - probably cause I forgot it could start 8 hours ahead in the uk - just as I 'm going to bed the night before - LOL !

I'll cross my fingers that we're at least not sick for Easter Sunday as the fourth out of five of us just got hit with that horrific flu bug. Somehow my hubby has managed to take care of us all - what a sweetie!

A happy an blessed Easter to all !

Bre

lyn lynch
04-18-2003, 03:08 AM
A Blessed Easter and well wishes to all.

It's midnight in Phoenix, SW USof A and I'm about to head for bed. I decided to blow off the early am meeting tomorrow; in fact, I am going to blow off that group all together and feel OK about it. Basically, I'm just not a joiner unless I have specific job to do. I was going to start the newsletter but I decide there is too little return and concentrate on worthiness of my volunteer job and learning watercolor instead.

So, tomorrow [today] I try to get some Yucca plants transplated and the pink trumpet like flower bush which is growing like a weed. I need to go to the store for more mulch and some staking twigs because I am letting this "bush" grow wild. Shim is so dirty on the feet from helping with the digging. I have to turn on the sprinklers to transplant more easily so he will really be filthy. Don't tell him and ruin his fun, but he is getting a bath in the afternoon.

I am trying to train in to not rush out the door when I open it. I say "Wait!" and he is supposed to Wait for "OK". I open patio door tonight and say Wait! he doesn't listen and charges right into screen door. I double-over in glee; I am bad doggie mommy, as well as bad embryo mommy. I am good kitty mommy.

Good day.

Nitsa
04-18-2003, 03:12 AM
Yes....Happy Easter! Time for lots of choccie and fish today but not together! LOL!

Wishing you all good health Bre!

Plan to do a little more gardening today, a new garden is NOT a forgiving garden......there are weeds everywhere again! :(

Have a great day everyone! :D

artmom
04-18-2003, 04:34 AM
Good morning, all:)

I knew it was a mistake going to bed early last night--here I am, up at 4:00 am! Oh, well, retirement makes it easy to take a nap either later this morning, or my favorite nap time, 4:00 pm:D

I've just been reading The Wash the last few days, not participating. I'm in a painting slump right now. Can't find anything to paint that keeps my interest--I have three in progress, I don't like or want to finish any of them. I guess I need to try to paint something I haven't--like a portrait, an abstract, a furry animal. Well, I'll keep looking for inspiration--I'm sure it will come to me.

Our youngest son and his family are hosts for Easter dinner this year--we all bring our favorite Easter dish and a wonderful time is had by all. Looking forward to it.:)

May each celebrate in their own unique way.

Happy painting!

Lyn

mchew
04-18-2003, 05:05 AM
Happy Easter, everyone!

I went to the exhibition as planned but there was hardly any soul there!! I could count the number of people there with one hand! ... and I thought there would be more people since it's a holiday!!! :confused: :confused:

The exhibition is held in a building which houses several art galleries but most of them were closed since today's public holiday (good friday)... only two were opened... one told me the art industry here is very very slow these days and is not even interested in looking at my portfolio... he told me to come back next year when the economy might be better, hopefully.

The other gallery is holding a solo show of an oil painter doing abstract and semi-abstract still life.... hardly anybody there either... I met a very prominent watercolorist, Ong Kim Seng... see his works at www.ongkimseng.com but he and the gallery owner were busy talking... so I felt it wasn't a good time to interrupt... perhaps I'll go back next week.

After that, I went around shooting some pics... it rained earlier and sky still cloudy... no strong sunlight for good photography but thanks to PS... I adjusted the saturation and brightness ... here are some of the photos I took.... I'll upload more to the library later.

Bumboats at Clarke Quay
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/14541-P1010005.jpg

Singapore Skycrappers
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/14541-P1010010.jpg

Cavenagh Bridge and Fullerton Hotel
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/14541-P1010029.jpg

Anderson Bridge
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/14541-P1010031.jpg

Yorky
04-18-2003, 05:10 AM
Morning all, and a Happy Easter.

Supposedly this is last warm day here for a while, east winds and 50F temperatures due tomorrow :(

Originally posted by artmom
Good morning, all:)
........... I'm in a painting slump right now. Can't find anything to paint that keeps my interest--I have three in progress, I don't like or want to finish any of them........... Lyn

Me too Lyn, I keep starting paintings and abandoning them:(

Just watched a painting video I got from the library - George Sear Paints Outdoors. Wonderful - real English style - he painted a village street in Norfolk.

I wish I could get motivated again, for some reason all I can do is think about it. Strange, only a month ago I was painting at least one a day. Ah well!

Best wishes

Doug

lyn lynch
04-18-2003, 05:55 AM
Still awake 3.0 hours later. Morning all washes in here already. Slumpers, just practice w/brush...make new limited color charts for reference.

Marvin, don't let poor attendance clog your head. Always poor attendance on holiday weekends in USA, lots of people traveling. Surprised they even have an opening this weekend. Also, art market slow everywhere right now, economy down, many out of work in America. Does not mean YOUR work will not sell, however. Keep going, please. Good references, too. Get started on the bridge right away, love the junks too, in fact love all of them. Interesting bridge structure, reminescent of Chicago, Ill. river scene to me.

ScarletLake
04-18-2003, 06:14 AM
Morning all

It is 6 am here in US. I think it is raining here in Ohio but have not looked out.

Good Friday here today.

Was planning on taking a friend to Webster Street Market in a renovated cannery. Pretty neat place. We'll see how that goes.

Bre - Hope your family gets over the flu soon.

Fookie - I remember of family Pom (Peaches) used to run like the wind when she got outside. All 3 of us girls would be running through the neighbor trying to catch her.

Lyn - Enjoy your Easter dinner.

Marvin - Sorry it was disappointing but glad you made some contacts. You'll get an education out of this anyway which will help you. Loved your photos. What a big city I liked the hotel.

Doug - I think I've been slumping for the last 2 months.

Well off to read paper.

Anita J.

BobH
04-18-2003, 06:30 AM
Good morning! It's 6:20am here and looks like the sun is trying to come out. I'll hope for the best but you never know.

I have to thank you guys for the early morning laughs. Fookie, I can just see your dog smacking into the screen. And Marvin, please don't take offense but the titles on your first two pictures just cracked me up! I know there's just a typo but I almost sprayed coffee all over my screen!! :D :D

Happy Easter everyone!

Bob

painterbear
04-18-2003, 06:38 AM
Good Morning all,

It is almost 6:30 a.m. here in Oakwood and I've caught up on the news at my two news sites I visit each day, so now I come here for the fun part of starting my day off right. There is a bird sitting in the tree outside my window singing his heart out. So far he hasn't gotten any answers though.

Wow, it sounds as if a world-wide slump has hit the artists here at WC—at least the watercolorists! Every time I open a thread it seems as if someone is saying they either are throwing away everything they paint, or they haven't painted in a long time because they can't find anything that interests them. I thought I was alone, but now I see I have lots of company. Could it be related to Spring? Do we all have a case of Spring Fever?

Nice photos, Marvin. Are you going to paint any of the scenes you shot yesterday? Agree with Fookie, here in the States holidays are traditionally slow attendance at events like you went to. Maybe next week you'll have a chance to meet more agents. Keep working at it, don't get discouraged.

Fookie, Save your energy for the things that really count in your life. It is easy to get caught up in the Volunteer Cycle. I speak from experience. Now I am selective about what I get involved with. I can just picture Shimmy bouncing off that screen door. Do you think he learned a lesson from it? Do you have any photos of Shim at this stage? He sounds like he is as cute as a button, love the mental picture of him digging holes for you to plant the cactus in.

Thought I'd take a crack at repainting a picture I did a couple of weeks ago when I experimented with a motherwash a la Pampe. It has arches and columns and a bell tower and massive door. Sounds like fun, doesn't it. This time I'll be more careful with the drawing, but try to be looser with the washes. We'll see what comes of that.

Today I am making Italian Foccaccia (a type of bread) which we will have with Swiss Chard cooked with pancetta. We had this for the first time when we visited the Palace at Caserta, north of Naples. It is delicious and brings back good memories.

Hope everyone who is ailing begins to feel better soon, if not immediately, and that all who are lacking in inspiration begin to see painting possibilities everywhere they look.

See you all later.

Olga
04-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Hello,
Just typed in a long message and then pushed something wrong on the computer and it all vanished--grrrrr....

We are having another lovely day here and it's a holiday, so we just took a walk to the market, bought all sorts of goodies for supper as well as a bunch of red lilies for painting. They have not opened yet, so I'll have to wait. We stopped in a bookstore on the way there, but I was a "good girl" and did not buy the book of Sargent watercolors or an album of August Macke paintings that I drooled over.

And now, I can just about go paint, though I can't decide whether I should try to paint from one of the drawing from yesterday's class (we did about twenty 5 min poses, including drawing a moving model--a new experience for me...) or try to do something out of my head without any reference photo... And then, there are some photos waiting as well...hmmmm...

Doug, Anita, TN Lyn and Sylvia--I don't have any good ideas for slumps. What I do when I am not sure what to paint is either to buy some flowers--can't procrastinate too long then because they wilt--or attempt something I've never tried before... Invariably, the hardest thing is to START. Once I do--I always have a ball, even if the painting does not work out in the end.
Hope your muse return soons

(BTW, Sylvia--you just painted a very nice moonflower... What slump???)

Marvin--Don't give up! Keep on trying and pushing!

Off I go to paint....

Have a lovely day, all

Olga

K8Black
04-18-2003, 07:31 AM
Morning all:

Haven't posted to the wash in a while. Doug, Lyn, Sylvia-- I am in the same slumpy boat! Just moping around and can't find anything to paint. Several unfinished. Working in my yard some. But I haven't been posting or painting. :( Is this what depression looks like??

Anita- I worked at the Webster Street Market for a short time last year.( know it well ;-) ) IMHO the 2nd St. Market is much nicer than Webster St. They have more of a "public market" mentality than Webster St. But the WSM building is fabulous. Great area to mill around on a holiday weekend.

Marvin- I was sick to hear about your recent disappointment with the job and all. Hang in there--you are a great talent and I am confident that you will be recognised and rewarded for it. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Also, love seeing the pics of Singapore and your animal series is exquisite.

Auntie--my little ones (dog kids) alway loved getting baths. Boy, do I miss them. I do love my cat but he doesn't snuggle like my little doggie critters. Maybe it is time to get a puppy?!?

I will try to paint something today and pull out of this slump. Have a great holiday all. Prayers for all in turmoil.

Kate

mchew
04-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Thank you all for your supports... and glad you like the pics.

Bob, lol! It IS called the "Bumboats" or "River Taxis"

and typo-error on the second one... skyscrapers ...:D

Doug, just grab any pics that you fancy in the library and just start drawing, then painting... and before you know it... it's finished! lol

Auntie Fookie, I'll definitely paint that bridge... it's calling me to paint but I currently doing a building/street scene ... might post the WIP later.

Sylvia, pics were taken earlier today... (time zone difference)... yes, I'll definitely paint some of them... your Italian bread sounds delicious. yummy....

Olga, good luck on whatever you decide to paint...

Off for late late dinner @ 8pm!!:eek: ... might start the WIP of my new painting later, see ya!

CharM
04-18-2003, 08:18 AM
Good morning Everyone!!! WHY is eveyone up so early on a Holiday weekend?????? What fun reading through your plans and thoughts for the day! I always bake Hot Cross buns on Good Friday and today is no exception. It's raining lightly here, so no yardwork...I hope to start laying in the colour on my flowers today.

Bre... take care... Bed rest, fluids... you know the drill...

Fookie... ROFLOL:cat: :cat: You must post a photo of Shimmy. Thanks for having the wisdom to know when to say "NO".

Nitsa, Don't laugh... if the weeds are pretty, I leave them... Yup, there have been many years that my garden has been home to some pretty interesting weeds... One year, I left a patch of wild fleabane grow up behind the blanket flowers. It was soooo pretty!

Lyn... sorry to hear about your slump... Have you thought about posting them as a wip? Maybe some lively discussion about them will spur you on...

Marvin... 1) Chin up... 2) beautiful photos (Singapore is a beautiful city)... 3) Go paint it!!!

Anita and Doug... sorry to hear you're still slumping... Have a good day in spite of... My Grandmother always told me that "doing nothing was preparation for doing something"...

Bob... Isn't this just the best place (??) ever!!!!

I love Foccaccia... While working in Conway, Arkansas (between Toadsqueak and Pickle's Gap, 50 mi. from Little Rock), I came across a little bistro that served vegetarian food. Very difficult to find down South... I waited some time for my spinach and goat cheese sandwish on foccaccia when the waitress came back to my table... She told me that cook sent her out to explain that the cockroaches had gotten into the bread and did I want to order something else? I left.

Olga... it's good to hear that you're not slumping!!!!! Buying flowers is such a good idea... You get two benefits from them... You can simply enjoy their beauty and then paint them to help remember their beauty!!

Kate... slumping too?? Looking forward to your post!!!

I wish everyone a very happy Easter. I'm thinking of all our ailing folks and hope they mend soon... I'm going to get my second cup of coffee, make my house smell good and my paper look colourful!

Have a great day everyone.

Strawberry Wine
04-18-2003, 08:34 AM
Happy Easter to All :

Marvin: Glad you are out and about and making contacts. Perhpas a mid week visit to galleries would be in order when gallery owners are more relaxed and approachable.

Fookie: I use the "wait" command every time we open the van door. Try training that command with leash on when you have control. Wait is different than "stay" Wait means just that , wait for a few seconds for the next command, which should be a release command like "OK" or whatever you decide to use but should always use same word.

Sylvia : I think you may be right about Spring Fever.After a long winter our thoughts are into getting out in gardens, doing more physical work. Mental creativity takes a back seat to physical for a while.

Bre: Hope you all are soon on the mend.

The weather forcast said rain for today but so far the sun is shining and it feels like we are heading back into spring after yesterdays cold and wind.

My sister is coming down for the weekend( I think) to spend Easter with us. I am just waiting for her phone call.

Well I am off to the forum to check out todays submissions, will paint a bit more on 2 postcards and then outside to do some garden work if the rain holds off.

I will check back in here later.

Have a good day to all

Gail

Little Old Lady
04-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Happy Holidays.
Dreary and cold here. At least no snow.
Hope you all get out of your slumps. Sometimes doing something else creative is an out. I have been fooling around with polymer clay.
Volunteering at our resale shop this afternoon.
Have a good day.
JoAnn

Annetta
04-18-2003, 08:58 AM
....Happy Easter right back at everyone!! :)

Went yesterday to purchase some WN paints. :eek: Think I'm going to have to limit myself to one tube a month...LOL I did purchase a 'rigger', a new eraser, more paper and an absolutely awesome book....darn, can't remember the author or the title!! Anyhow, it's about how to paint including lots of 'light'. I'm working on a painting now that is just 'flat'. I will post later and hopefully get some input on how to correct it.

Anyway, it's 1/2 day for me here at work and then I and a girlfriend are going out in the woods to hunt for that ever elusive Morel Mushroom. The redbuds are blooming so that's the sign they're up...we hope!!

Everyone have a lovely day/night and Easter!!! :angel:

M.A.
04-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Happy Easter everyone!!!

Fookie - I think you're a *good* doggy mom!

pampe
04-18-2003, 10:16 AM
Good Friday

yes, it is

I'm in pastel mode today but I had 2 WONDERFUL ideas for paintings during my mostly sleepless night

I know the feeling, Doug and Lyn.....it will pass or you can push it away...whichever is your style. (hug)

Doug....You know we have a dog, right? Hope that's not a problem.

FOOKS....GO TAKE A REST!!!!! and then come back and tell me what "burnish" is. :confused:

Off to the gym to swim....then back to finsih TeAnn, I hope.

Please take care of yourselves and have a wonderful day.

Pam

karenjh
04-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Happy Easter to those that celebrate. We are having brunch at my parents and my Dad is such an awesome cook I can't wait.

Annette - what is a "rigger"??

You guys crack me up with your stories. Wish I had some - oh yeah, my hubby is going to meet my art teacher and her husband (also an art teacher) this weekend we are going to dinner. This They are very cool and fun peoples so I am looking forward to a good time. I figured since I've been taking classes from them for 1-1/2 years it's about time they meet.

Carole A
04-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Hello -

I'm fairly new here and come here everyday for inspiration. I'm loving your WIPs and finished projects. I just returned to painting last fall after too many years of letting other things take priority. Here are my goals to get going again: 1) Walk and notice what's happening in nature everyday; 2) Give hand-painted birthday and holiday cards to my friends and family this year; 3) Take a photo everyday with my digital camera so I'll have lots of reference to work from.

Speaking of slumps, for the last month, I've been doing more reading about painting than doing it. But I invited my husband to take me to some galleries tomorrow afternoon. I'll get inspired there. One has a show by an Amer Watercolor society member and award winner, and another that I want to see is a show by a published photographer.

Thanks to everyone who contributes here. I'm in awe of you all.

Carole

CharM
04-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Welcome to WC Carole!!! This is just the best place! I've been dabbling in watercolour since November and I have learned soooo much from all the good people on this forum. Now, get those paints out and share something with us!!!

lyn lynch
04-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Morning yet again Washers. Feeling a stab of guilt about bowing out of this morning's group but I'm tired of dissention--just want to have fun. Lovely holiday plans, good dinners and friend and family gatherings, sounds wonderful. Welcome Carole, nice to see you in Wash and keep coming back. We have lovely Reference Library Images under "Community" button, which members post for enjoyment and reference for others to use free of copyright. Unless you are stupid like me, you can download for your own use. Lovely day all. Chilly yet this am, I am my jammies and Shim on his new bed Easter Bunny brought for him.

Nandie
04-18-2003, 01:23 PM
This is Good Friday for us here..... we don't celebrate Easter until Sunday. Normally I'd be at Church today but my hubby has to work so it's a quiet day with my kids at home. We have an interesting tradition that I started when the kids were little..... I made a cave out of salt dough (the kind you make that hardens afterward) that I molded on an upside-down bowl then made an opening in one side, and I made a round, flat "stone" to cover the opening. I painted them both grey with poster paints. Then I made a small figure (Jesus) out of paper and a tiny "burial robe" from a small piece of cotton.... so today around 3pm (when Jesus died on the cross) we'll set up the cave, put "Jesus" inside, covered with the burial robe and roll the stone across the opening. It stays that way until Easter morning, and when the kids wake up the stone is already rolled away from the opening, Jesus is missing (resurrected) and it's full of chocolate Easter eggs! Its a fun way to demonstrate the story of Good Friday and Easter morning and the kids love it. Just thought I'd share that with you in case you've ever looked for ideas to make the holiday more meaningful for your family.:)

So many people in a slump right now.....I know it's been done before but I think I'll go post a poll on what would help you get out of a slump, then I'll take the best ideas and turn them into a project. What do you think? Wait.... don't tell here, go look for the poll thread and post your thoughts there!

Have a Good Friday, everyone.:cat:

pampe
04-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Morning, Carole, and WELCOME

A gallery show might just do the trick,...let us know...looking forward to seeing your work!

We love to help (while we are nagging and kibbitzing)

Pam

madmum
04-18-2003, 03:00 PM
Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrived safely (eventually), having a wonderful time, taking lots of photographs ;) Blackpool for the day tomorrow, fairground photos and the like will be order of the day :D Not much time for painting so far, tried to sketch on the beach today but the sun was too bright and I gave up :(

Missing you guys, will try to check in again tomorrow night.

Ruth

Yorky
04-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by pampe
...........Doug....You know we have a dog, right? Hope that's not a problem................
Pam

No problem, Pam. I like other people's dogs. We found it hard enough looking after and feeding 2 kids and a home without having to care for pets. That said I realise that kids who have pets learn that they have not just thenselves to think about.

Maddie - You did the right thing going to the beach today, its supposed to be 50 degrees tomorrow (shiver).

Slumpwise, I think I'll scan the new projects and see what tickles my fancy :D

Doug

Sandy1
04-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Wishing you all a Happy Easter.
Have a great weekend.
Sandy

rks
04-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Happy Easter to All,

Auntie, very funny story about Shim banging into the screen door. If you are still taking obedience classes with him, ask your instructor what you should do to make him wait. Or, what I do with our airedale (we did obedience classes ages ago), I tell her to sit and stay first, then I open the door, then I tell her O.K. Please post a photo of Shim, or you simply have to paint him for us.

Marvin, after the holiday week-end, why don't you track down that prominent watercolor artist you saw at the gallery, introduce yourself, show him your portfolio and ask him for his advice about how you get started as a pro. I bet one of two things will happen: either he'll be flattered you approached him and may give you some helpful ideas, or he'll tell you he's too busy or not interested. What have you got to lose in approaching him? Good luck.

Off to see the new thread for ideas on breaking out of a slump. Not my problem right now, but it's bound to happen and I want to save this thread.

For all who are ailing, get better real soon.

Roberta

pampe
04-18-2003, 06:48 PM
ok...played 9 holes and now I am home.......

gotta go back to work...that's the trouble with play:D

Rich Williams
04-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Worked in the garden and then sat in the sun. Boy was that nice after our long winter. Made me thankfull to be alive and able to enjoy life and to paint.

Rich

pampe
04-18-2003, 10:45 PM
amen, Richard, amen

moondancer79
04-19-2003, 01:10 AM
afternoon all. saturday afternoon here. its been a sunny day but a cold wind. still in drought conditions here need LOTS more rain.

for everyone in a slump...paint the easter bunny.

anyway everyone have a nice easter

hopefulbucky
04-19-2003, 01:48 AM
Happy Easter everyone!

Finished my day's work and have enjoyed being on the site tonight. It is still Good Friday here on the west coast.

Looking forward to driving to Washington to be with our eldest son and three of our grandchildren for the Easter Weekend. Have the eggs boiled and ready for painting, baked some cookies (Easter ones of course tonight) so we will leave tomorrow afternoon. They only live about an hour away.

Sunday will be church and nice dinner and then home again ready to pop onto the site and learn more.

I know what some people mean about thinking about painting. Thank goodness for my weekly class. I keep thinking of all the paintings I want to try. Well soon.

Everyone have a wonderful happy and safe weekend and enjoy your Easter if you celebrate it.

Thanks for all the wonderful people on this site.

:cat: :clap: :angel: :D