PDA

View Full Version : Just curious

mhimeswc
04-18-2003, 01:01 AM
Just curious - what is the difference between the weekly pastels and the pastel riot? Just trying to get a handle on the activities here.

Michelle

butterfly
04-18-2003, 01:49 AM
mhimeswc:

Well ... I will try and explain for you ... and everyone else will be able to fill in where I miss something or misinterpret for you:

Weekly Pastel Thread was started by Sunny and babysat by Dark Shades while she was unable to run the thread. If you read the first entry for this week you can get the idea, but basically it is a timed picture of any subject of your choice to be done either 30 minutes, 40 minutes or 60 minutes. Any one no matter what your experience can participate. The idea is to loosen up and get your ideas down fast, you can always go back and finish the piece and you will receive very constructive critiques, from very nice people no matter what their experience has been. Very helpful, I personally have benefited quite a lot from this! Not only with my own participation, but reading through the thread and seeing what everyone else is doing and the helpful hints they are getting.

Pastel Riot -- well I'm not sure when or who started this thread but for some reason it did not run this week. Anyone can enter this Thread also. So .... one to three pictures were posted (I thought it was by the first person who posted their picture from the previous week) and then you would pick if more than one was posted, and paint it in pastels and we would all get to see how everyone handled the same subject. Anyone can also join in this thread... It was not timed you just completed it whenever,(usually within the week tho), and then a new picture or pictures were posted for the following week. It was quite interesting. Very much like pastel or any painting class where we all would be painting the same subject, but at the end of the class you would all put pictures up front together and every picture was unique and done in a different style. Only on this thread all the pictures would be from all over the world.

As you can see by the number of posts and entries, the Weekly Pastel Thread is very popular and the people submitting and commenting are quite interesting and very funny, but serious about art. The same people usually have posted in the Riot also. I put the two pictures of Gracie and her foal up last week basically because no one else was posting a picture, and not too many people tried it. I am still working on mine as a matter of fact. Probably because I'm going to have to give them to my daughters riding trainer, because its her horse. I only own geldings.

But if you go to the beginning of each Thread there is a very nice explanation also. I hope this helped you.

Butterfly/Roni

bnoonan
04-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Hi Michelle,

Welcome and I'm glad you asked about the threads. Roni has done a great job describing them but I'm here to encourage you to participate.

I'm amazed at how freeing it is to just know you have to only paint for 20 minutes and see what you have come up with - without judgement since you know it only took 20 minutes. I also find that if I want to work a bit longer, it's really not a problem.

For me, and I think the others will agree, what works best is doing these from real life - start perhaps with what you can find in your fruit bowl or refrigerator. If you go back you'll see lots of eggs, apples, oranges, etc... Working from life is good practice and for me I like how I can see more colors than in photos.

All levels are welcome and it's just fun to join in and see what we all capture in our lives. I do recommend you go back and see what the previous weeks have been like - this one seems to have taken a bit of a tangent into more detailed work. Not typical. It may be that more folks have time since the holiday.

If you can't think of something to paint, just ask and we'd be happy to make recommendations.

Can't wait to see your work - you'll love this community!!!

Barb:)

sundiver
04-18-2003, 04:13 PM
Greg (rd2ruin) started the Pastel Riot but nobody's really "in charge" of it. A new person volunteered each week, but no one actually volunteered for this week, even though it's no big deal; you just post a couple of images from the library or images of your own.
And don't forget the monthly pastels project, which is similar to the Riot except it lasts a month and never really closes.
All three : weekly sketches, pastel riot, and monthly project ,are there to provide motivation and inspiration for us to get those pastels moving across the paper.

ginatec
04-18-2003, 05:54 PM
They are both great places to post to...I have had so much help on both these threads.