PDA

View Full Version : final attempt (tulips)

karenboss
04-17-2003, 09:13 PM
these guys have just given me so much trouble...
any suggestions for improvement here would be much appreciated. Even though I'm sick to death of looking at this and must take a break from it-
thanks always for your invaluable input!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2003/4697-tulipswithbow.jpg

JanJones
04-17-2003, 09:17 PM
I think they are very nice. I have also tried tulips many times and cannot understand why that flower gives me a lot of trouble too. Your painting is very nice.

Sylvielu
04-17-2003, 09:25 PM
I like the background and the colors used.

To me the tulips are okay except for two things. I feel they are too small and perhaps the stems are going into too sharp a point on the right. Maybe you could pull out a couple of the stems out from the point

Fagan
04-17-2003, 09:26 PM
Karen...I think you did a wonderful job on your tulips. I too have trouble with those wily petals! They look so simple...yet are hard to paint.

pampe
04-17-2003, 09:27 PM
not the tulips that drove you crazy...imagine it was them folds....

nice work

take a break

Uschi
04-17-2003, 10:00 PM
Karen, I think you did a great job - the folds are good, the flower heads are good, the ribbon good and a nice touch and the greenery is fantastic!!!!
Uschi

Nandie
04-17-2003, 10:00 PM
Your satin fabric looks lovely, by the way!

karenboss
04-17-2003, 10:59 PM
your right, Pam, it was the folds... or maybe the composition and color choices... it doesn't seem to be laying flat.

Sylvia, thanks for the input, that might be what's contributing to my problem in the composition, I think I'll add another step at a new angle.

Anyway, more practice for me :( more practice tomorrow!

CharM
04-17-2003, 11:03 PM
Karen, I'm certain you'll feel better about your painting in the morning. The fabric folds are incredible. Your leaves are good, flowers are good and I, too, like the ribbon.

mhimeswc
04-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Great job on those folds! Those are soooooo hard to do, and you handled it beautifully.

Michelle

Brelaina
04-18-2003, 01:32 AM
I actually think you've done an excellent job ! But I know how after you've looked at something after painting it , it's hard to look at it objectively.

- love the colours, tulips and leaves and I think you've done a great job on the fabric.
The area under the blue ribbon wrapped around the middle of the stems appears to lie very flat I think because of two things - the dark shadow, and the fact that you've extended a subtler shadow further out. Maybe if you did something similar to this on the fold to the left it might help lay it flatter.

Really though, I think you should commend yourself for a very lovely painting !

Bre

lyn lynch
04-18-2003, 02:17 AM
Let it relax a bit, you have come too far to hurry it now.
The fabric is wonderful--leave it alone, don't even be tempted, including those cast under the flower bunch.
I think you could use a few well placed darks in the greenery to separate the stems a bit. See the greens on the bottom above the blue ribbon? Make a few long stems in there rather than the leaf. I think a bit of varietyu will help. Perhaps even incorporating the b/g purple into a stem or two. A bouquet this size would have some long stems.
A bit of the purple could also be added to the depth of a few tulips, to add more drama there.
I think the ribbon has already been addressed.
But I stress to let it sit, it is too good already to work on if you are not feeling up to par on workin it.

M.A.
04-18-2003, 06:04 AM
I think they're lovely.

capricorne
04-18-2003, 06:35 AM
Hi karen,
In my view your picture need more 'lost' edges.
I like watercolor the most when there is a good balance between 'lost' and 'found' edges. I think it also can help to insert the tulips in the background.
Best regards
Capricorne

Annetta
04-18-2003, 08:38 AM
....personally I think this is lovely. I love the softness and the folds in the cloth are wonderful!! Great color choices too!! :clap: :clap:

surreal
04-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Very unique composition!

I was very pleasantly surprised after reading the title of the thread and then seeing this very interesting painting.

Terrific color!

karenboss
04-18-2003, 10:38 AM
fookie, bre - everyone - thank you for your thoughtful input, it is most valuable. Indeed, a little seperation and patience is the formost need! you both offered some very tangable improvement ideas that I can ponder & incorporate - I appreciate it very much!

annoying dog using her head to get my fingers off the keyboard (want's my butt out the door with her... gotta go) :rolleyes:

karenjh
04-18-2003, 10:48 AM
When I looked at this the first thing I thought was Jeez those folds must have been tough - but you did a great job on them.

Carole A
04-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by JanJones
I think they are very nice. I have also tried tulips many times and cannot understand why that flower gives me a lot of trouble too. Your painting is very nice.

I painted a great tulip once... unfortunately the subject was iris and my unopened iris bud looked just like a tulip.:D

Carole

al22
04-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Karen, not sure, of course, but the position may be what is bothering you....... It's an unusual perspective for a floral..... When it first popped on the screen, my first reaction was 'o, she loaded it sideways'...... Then after I looked for a while I realized they were wrapped, ready to be delivered or put in a vase........
The other thing is the strong vertical lines.........seems almost like drapery.......hanging straight down and I can't 'feel' an illusion of a horizontal plane for them to be sitting on.........
As for the flowers, color, and drapery.....all done well...........
Sorry, I'm not more help on how to exactly improve the picture.
........al

karenboss
04-18-2003, 06:03 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head, Al. There seems to be no flat plane on which they are sitting.

I think the photo is also ambigous on this point:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2003/4697-tulipwc.jpg

so I may just be stuck with it as is.

al22
04-18-2003, 06:13 PM
You're right Karen....even the pic gives the illusion the lines of folded material are continous......
The only think I did notice from the ref pic is the material seems to be darker above the floral......might help but hard to say.....
Might be worth playing with in PS or some other paint program to see if it helps before you invest more time..........
.........al

karenboss
04-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks Karen

Since the thread is back up - I thought I'd post the finished article. Not really much different, but those details are important to me.

Fookie - I added purple to the flowers, as you suggested. I was a little nervous (yellow + purple = bla) but it turned out very satisfactory - I went quite warm, purple toward red.

thanks for everyone's input on this one - finished. not my favorite, but finished.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2003/4697-springappology.JPG

al22
04-20-2003, 03:00 PM
Works better, Karen.......
......al

Olga
04-20-2003, 04:06 PM
The purple shadows really made the flowers stand out from the background! MUCH NICER... In fact, it's really lovely!

(I'd consider darkening the bottom leaves as well. I think it might make it lie down even more)

Nice work, Karen

Olga