PDA

View Full Version : Upper Lake Henry

al22
04-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Upper Lake Henry fictitious......Drew a horizon line on paper and did this lake......
Question.....
Does it work as is or does it need something else......a fisherman/woman in the bottom left.....
Or
Leave it alone.........dunno.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2003/8880-upperlake2wc.JPG

It's half sheet on Arches with WN paints...... mostly cobalt blue, BU, some kind of green that was on my palette, and some reddish brown stuff that was on palette also.......lol

I appreciate comments, critiques and suggestion......... (it has no name on it yet.......lol)

.........al

wilkinsonart
04-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Excellent as is, great job on the foliage and whisps of grass. Would a distant fisherman and boat on the lake capture the mood, create a focal point depends on what all you want to convey. Hopefully someone else can suggest something more specific.

M.A.
04-17-2003, 07:32 PM
I like the name of your landscape! :)
I think a person looking onto Upper Lake Henry from the little piece of land on the lower left might be nice but I also like it just the way it is!!!
:clap:

CharM
04-17-2003, 07:33 PM
Oh Al, somehow it would seem wrong to disturb the serenity of this lake. This is a beautiful place we all need to go to once in awhile to escape from hustle and bustle... if only in our imaginations...

The colours are rich and beautiful. Your reflections in the lake are absolutely stunning. I'm a newbie and I don't know much... but I do know this, I think you should leave it alone...

I have one question... where the lake meets the green hill... should there be a little darker value in the hill?

lyn lynch
04-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Gorgeous, Buddy. I like Upper Lake Henry for title, that's a good name.

For addition, I like suggestions of RED BIRD[S] on the blades of grass, otherwise it needs nothing.

BTW: I thought it was max 500 width x 600 length??? If I go larger than 450 width x 550 length it is rejected.

tigre255
04-17-2003, 07:48 PM
LOL some reddish brown stuff on your palette......lol I like that, sounds like mine.........

Needs nothing......I like it the way it is.....:clap: :clap: :clap:

al22
04-17-2003, 07:50 PM
Tried that flippin' red bird today......came out looking like a rare South American Turkey...........lol
It's 500 wide max and 600 high max.........right click on mine and go to properties......you'll see it's 500 wide......
......al

surreal
04-17-2003, 08:29 PM
I like the composition very much.
I really like the large expanse of water.
:)

white-anubis
04-17-2003, 08:58 PM
This is great the way it is! I think putting a person in there would be distracting! It's gorgeous!

Fagan
04-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Very well done Al!! I love the reflections...but the grasses in front pull me in.

pampe
04-17-2003, 09:25 PM
as is, Big Al

superb as is

those grasses in the foreground knock my socks off

:clap:

Strawberry Wine
04-17-2003, 09:30 PM
Hi Al. I looked at this for a long time, trying to figure out where you could add fisherperson, boat etc.

I really don't think it needs any additions. It is serene and peacefull, undesturbed.
If that bottom left is bothering your maybe bring up some more grasses or bull rushes, but not a lot, but I think it is fine just the way it is. Which is Beautiful !!!!!

Gail

Uschi
04-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Just beautiful Al!!!!!
Uschi

Starsprite
04-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Yesssss...Lake Henry...isn't that up there by Lake George? LOL
You did this off the top of your head? Way to go! It looks very peaceful and serene. I could see me fishing there on the bank...looks like a good spot. Very pretty scene, Al! :) :clap: :clap:

mhimeswc
04-17-2003, 11:37 PM
I think it works very well as is. However, I would darken the bottom right corner of the water just a tad. Beautiful!

Michelle

sweetbabydill
04-18-2003, 02:33 AM
I really admire your style. Nice work.
Carolyn

Olga
04-18-2003, 02:36 AM
Beautiful lake, Al. Nice colors, nice reflections, and that grass in fron is super.

No need to add anything in my opinion.

Olga

tunna
04-18-2003, 04:52 AM
very nice -leave it as it is
regards dave.:D

ripvanblair
04-18-2003, 05:17 AM
Looks good Al, if you wanted to add something maybe a small boat heading out, otherwise I wouldn't touch it -------------------well done--------Alan

Yorky
04-18-2003, 05:56 AM
Wonderful sky and lovely colours in the lake.

I wouldn't touch it its lovely as it is.

Doug

BobH
04-18-2003, 06:21 AM
Beautiful colors, terrific depth, the reflections are stunning and the grasses in the foreground make this a masterpiece!! Oh, yeah, the sky is outstanding as well.

The only change I'd make is to frame it 'n hang it...

Bob

painterbear
04-18-2003, 06:43 AM
Hi Al,

I add my vote to those who say "Nothing else needed, lovely just as you've painted it."

I really like the water a lot, the reflections are beautifully painted and the grasses in the lower left corner lead the eye right into the center of the painting.

Another beauty.

Annetta
04-18-2003, 08:48 AM
.....wonderful painting Al!! :clap: :clap:

If I added anything, it would be a small fish jumping up out of the water in the middle, with some ripples. When I go fishing, they always seem to be jumping wherever I'm 'not' fishing :p However, it is just awesome "as is".

Little Old Lady
04-18-2003, 08:57 AM
Great one. Sign, mat and frame.
JoAnn

Crystal Owl
04-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Beautiful as is Al, I thought it was a photo at first!

Irene

wayfarer
04-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Just gorgeous! Nice calm feel to it. What catches my eye are the foreground grasses that are so nicely done. If you wanted to do anything else, I may add some shadows to emphasize the that. You really don't need to do a thing though. Very nice!

wayfarer

Faafil
04-18-2003, 11:25 AM
yowza Al - this is beautiful...love the reflections in the lake...

al22
04-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Good Morning Friends,
Thanks all so much for stoppin' in a leaving a comment. Seems to me the consensus of opinion is to "leave it alone"......... which is what I need to do more often than not........lol
I am a believer in simplicity of subject matter......so that fits with my own feeling for the painting....
Patty.....maybe lake George will be next...Upper Lake Geoge has a nice ring to it........lol............

...............al

mustcreate
04-18-2003, 02:13 PM
love the reflection and sky!!

no need to add anything :)

em

Lines
04-18-2003, 02:19 PM
Does your painting have a point where the greatest
interest should be?
At the moment, I see several places vying for that
place, including the stalks of vegetation at the front.
So you could try to emphasise some point already
there, or add some thing(s) to it.
Harmony for me, is very difficult to achieve by changing
a plan at the last.
I am interested in what you choose and how you acheive
it.

al22
04-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Hi em........appreciate ya!

Originally posted by Lines
Harmony for me, is very difficult to achieve by changing
a plan at the last.
I am interested in what you choose and how you achieve
it.

Lines, I don't understand the question. Could you elaborate?

........al

Lines
04-19-2003, 10:23 AM
quote:
>Originally posted by Lines
>Harmony for me, is very difficult to achieve by changing
>a plan at the last.
>I am interested in what you choose and how you achieve
>it.

>Lines, I don't understand the question. Could you elaborate?

>........al

Sorry, I have not made myself clear.
I was thinking of my work when I feel as you have
said, that there might be something missing from
the picture. When I add some object, then it's colour,
it's intensity of colour, and it's position with in the whole,
is difficult for me. So, harmony as I call it, is disrupted.
It was really an aside, rather than a question.
I was musing that I would be watching how well you
alter this picture compared to my efforts.

Gilberte
04-19-2003, 12:53 PM
:D ... all that stuff left on your pallette resulted in a very good painting ........ !

al22
04-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Thanks much, Gilberte............. I really like to do these quickies....
.......al

lakelovers
04-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Al, I actually live on a lake very much like your painting except for the last distant hill. Ours aren't quite the high. I just wish I could paint our lake as well as you have painted your imaginary one. Anyway, if your painting were mine I would ruin it by trying to add something at this point. I like people in my paintings but I want them planned from the beginning. Jerry

al22
04-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Ty LL...........appreciate the comment......... It's aging now to see if it needs anything else........ Plan,......plz explain term..........lol
..........al

Loki
04-20-2003, 11:09 PM
This one is certainly nice, and the fact that you didn't use reference material for makes it even better... nothing beats a good imagination.

Beautifully done!

al22
04-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Ty very much Loki
.......al