PDA

View Full Version : "A Dark Peace" (W.I.P)

Devoted 2Art
02-22-2012, 02:36 AM
"A Dark Peace" W.I.P - 16 X 20 Acrylic on Canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2012/1003102-A_Dark_Peace.jpg

Finally had a chance to work on this today. Seems to finally be heading in the right direction. C & C welcome.
Thank You-
-John

lavenderlady1
02-22-2012, 05:55 AM
This is lovely, delicate work John....I hope someone is standing behind you to hit you over the head and say STOP before you overdo it! LOL. Lovely blending technique...I find blending a particular challenge with this wonderful medium! Cheers from "Down Under", Brenda

Bertoni
02-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Looks like (W.D.) ...work done rather than WIP.
A peaceful scene in wonderful color and use of the medium!:thumbsup:

purplepansey
02-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Looking very good , can't wait to see the finished piece.

Dcam
02-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Beautiful painting. I get a little left tipsy? is the pool of water level? Could be my old eyes.

anyway. very nice. Derek:)

Karen70
02-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Looking good, surely not much more to do? :thumbsup:

susme48
02-22-2012, 12:45 PM
John, this is so good...I'd hang it as is!

Derek might be right....since I thought it was my eyes too....just at the top tho' I think?

Devoted 2Art
02-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Lavender - :D I could really use a head smacking assistant! Lately I've been very aware of how easy it is to overwork pieces so I try to keep myself in check. Thank you so much for your comments.

Bertoni - Thank you very much! ... Not quite sure what W.D. is:confused: I even did a search & turned up nothing. Anyhow - Thank you!

Purple - Thank You!

Derek - Thank you for the comments! You're right about the pool of water. I do need to stream the water in from somewhere top and level it out a bit.

Karen - Thank you so much for the comments - Not too much more. Would really like to get this finished.

Susan - :wave: Thank you! Always nice to read your comments. You & Derek are correct and apart from the whole photo not being level (check the bottom left corner of the canvas)... That area in particular needs work. I'm glad both of you noted that so I didn't think it was just me being too picky.

Thank you all again very much for the helpful & inspirational comments!!!

levanty
02-22-2012, 03:28 PM
John, this is really good. What else do you need to add? I'm a little left tipsy too but I wouldn't mess with it at this point. Just hang it crooked and it'll look straight, lol

Devoted 2Art
02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Yvie -:lol: Thank you so much but it really isn't finished. The entire lower area of the painting is only a base coat of colored gesso & actually looks a lot in the photo than it does here. I want to keep it simple but it surely needs something.

OkeeKat
02-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Excellent colors in your water and land,
I agree the water on is going downhill on the left a bit.. maybe lift the waterline a bit on the left..
Might be the way the photo was taken, but check it out..
you can always measure from top down to the sides to see if its level.
or up from the bottom
Can't wait to see the finished works!

Devoted 2Art
02-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Kathie - Thank you for the compliments! Think I've corrected the 'tilt' - Photo is still not quite level.
Thanks again-
-John

Devoted 2Art
02-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Finished the next stage tonight... Looks like everything is in it's place and the water is level :crossfingers:. Photo turned out too dark & over saturated so I tried to tweak it a bit. May need to add a few highlights & shadows but I don't want to overwork it and I'd like to get on to the next one.

C & C welcome ... Does it look finished? What would you do if it were yours?
Thanks for comments and suggestions.
-John

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2012/1003102---_A_Dark_Peace_B1.jpg

susme48
02-23-2012, 02:39 AM
John...WD is work done rather than WIP work in progress....and I'd say there is just one big thing to do yet....

Sign it!!! :thumbsup:

zenjenn
02-23-2012, 03:43 AM
I'm new here, so forgive me if I am out of line. I feel everyone is too nice here all the time! :D

No doubt you have some strong technique going on here. There's plenty to admire, and since so many others have said it, I won't repeat. :)

My criticism? There's nothing dynamic about the composition. There's nothing in the sky, the tree is unremarkable (not your treatment of it, just its structure, as a tree.) The foreground, midfield, and background are all part of the same context. I feel like it's a sentence without a subject.

You ask what I'd do? To me, that painting is a stage that needs an actor. While the actor could be a person, an animal, a flock of birds... If your goal is to paint landscapes, that "actor" can still be a dynamic piece of landscape. A fantastic cloud formation, a weary old oak with intricate gnarled branches, a very impressive and interesting rock formation. I feel like even as a landscape, all the "actors" are minor characters. The sky, the rocks, the little tree, the little waterfall.. they are all perfectly well-painted and fit together, but not a single one of them has dynamic, special qualities - not because of how you've painted them, but rather, because of what you've chosen to paint.

Devoted 2Art
02-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Susan - Thank you VERY much!! At this point it just doesn't quite feel complete so I will hang it on the wall and analyze it on occasion. At some point I may decide it is finished. Really nice to know YOU think it is:clap: .
Thanks
-John

Devoted 2Art
02-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Zenjenn - (I'm new here, so forgive me if I am out of line. I feel everyone is too nice here all the time!)

- You are forgiven :evil:

(No doubt you have some strong technique going on here. There's plenty to admire, and since so many others have said it, I won't repeat.)

- Thank You! :D

(My criticism? There's nothing dynamic about the composition. There's nothing in the sky, the tree is unremarkable (not your treatment of it, just its structure, as a tree.) The foreground, midfield, and background are all part of the same context. I feel like it's a sentence without a subject.)

- I have to agree 100%. I did not choose a main subject for this painting. This was a piece that did not have a direction when it was started and I just let it flow. I have been experimenting with acrylics for about 2 years and attempting to develop my own style, technique, and the ability to balance the work. From the comments you've made; I see I have accomplished much and my major weakness at this point is composition which is quite a compliment:D . I have had no art schooling or training and I appreciate constructive criticism. I understand exactly what you're saying and you are offering me very good advice. Now that I am aware of your suggestion- it seems so obvious what this piece is missing & I'm this knowledge will be very beneficial when creating future works. I have created many (surely over 500) mixed media works of subjects including people, animals, flowers, buildings etc. (mostly small pieces) and the main thing missing in most was a believable background. My goal is to incorporate the knowledge I've acquired painting main subjects into what I am learning developing my acrylic techniques. I am very grateful you've taken the time to offer your comments and this invaluable advice.

Thank you -
John

ArtWench
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Oh wow! Love this! :clap:

Finished the next stage tonight... Looks like everything is in it's place and the water is level :crossfingers:. Photo turned out too dark & over saturated so I tried to tweak it a bit. May need to add a few highlights & shadows but I don't want to overwork it and I'd like to get on to the next one.

C & C welcome ... Does it look finished? What would you do if it were yours?
Thanks for comments and suggestions.
-John

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2012/1003102---_A_Dark_Peace_B1.jpg

Devoted 2Art
02-23-2012, 10:52 PM
ArtWench - Thank You!! I appreciate the comment!

Karen70
02-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Looks great - I believe you just have to sign it :lol:.
(I wish I could do landscapes like that :()
:clap::thumbsup:

Devoted 2Art
02-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Karen - THANK YOU! I wish I could paint complete landscapes also! I still need to learn how to paint interesting trees, clouds, mountains..etc. (One step at a time- think I'm gonna work on clouds next).
Thank you -
John

Foxyheart2002
02-24-2012, 06:12 PM
The main thing I see right off is the blueness to the water. Water only has a color because it is reflecting something else. If there is to be blue here, you need blue in the sky somewhere. Other than that, I like the way it is painted. How about a hawk flying overhead? That would give you that focal point that seems to be lacking.

RPut
02-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Beautiful work. Agree with the constructive suggestions. We are all here to learn from each other!

Chia
02-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi John, I'm no landscape painter & I avoid long-view backgrounds like the plague, so I hear what you are saying! I've read the critiques & your responses with interest. (we learn so much here & not necessarily from critiques of our own works) I look at this piece with great admiration, knowing that I couldn't even come close to rendering those rocks & water as well as you have! But I also hear what Zenjenn is saying and can see that he/she has a good point. The part that niggles me about this painting is that the water colour is not in accordance with the sky colour. This is a dark day with a storm looming, but your water is gorgeous shades of blue & aqua. I'm not suggesting you should change the water colour but you could address my concern and Zenjenn's by making the source of light the star of the show. I'm suggesting a break in the clouds with blue skies and some strong sunlight shining down on the water. The piece is a lovely bit of eyecandy already and I would be happy to hang it as is, but I just thought I would throw in my two cents & give you something to think about!

Devoted 2Art
02-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi Foxy(Sue) RPut , Chia - Thank you for commenting! I appreciate your compliments, observations and suggestions. I am learning SO MUCH(!!!) since I've began posting my work and receiving very valuable critiques from fellow artists. Before posting any work here I started several projects with no direction whatsoever & did not rely on references. This is one of those pieces. I've learned a lot from painting this & even more from all of those who have offered advice & inspiration. I am acquiring an abundance of useful information here & I truly appreciate those who share their experience & knowledge to help me improve my work. Though I have moved on from this painting, your suggestions will be implemented in the creation of future works (And helping to clear the table of messes I've already made:D ).
Thank you again-
-John

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 08:22 AM
mesmerizing (spell?)