PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to handle this- need help!

steffunke
02-21-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm hoping I could get some advice from some of you pro's that have been at it a while. Tonight I got an email from a lady who had seen my web page on the internet and really liked my paintings. I have a painting on my website of my personal horse looking at a blue bird sitting on a fence post. She said she wanted to know if it was breaking any copyright if she painted the horse but changed the color of the bird. How does one handle something like that, can she go ahead and paint it? At least she asked I guess, I'm not happy about someone else painting my personal horse or copying my painting even if it is changed a little bit. Any comments that might help me send her back an answer?Thanks,Stephanie

Judy Manuche
02-21-2012, 10:19 PM
I would tell her to find other reference photos to use, that you would prefer she used something other than your creative endeavor to use for her reference. I like your painting, I went to your website...You could tell her that YOU will paint her another painting with the bird a different color...

Skylar10
02-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Tell her what you have said here. I'm sure expressing your reservation should be enough. - Perhaps point her to the RIL.
I am, personally, flattered when an image of mine has struck another artist to the point of "copying". (I just like an acknowledgement.)

daisyree
02-22-2012, 12:44 AM
I know how you feel, and I feel the same way when people ask me if they can use my painting as a reference.
I've said no a coulpe of times and offcourse explained why. I've said yes two times too. But with some conditions. They could use it, but they had to put my name under their signature on the painting. And they could not sell it. Also they had to give me credit if they showed it anywhere.
The an honoring thought that other artists like your enough to want and copy it, but I always try and encourage people to make their own art and not copy mine.
What would I do if I where you? Just write her what you wrote here. And let her know where she can find referencephoto's she can use.

Barb'sArt
02-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Yes, it is/would be a copyright infringement, for her to copy your painting, different color bird or not, w/o your written expressed permission.

If she can paint well enough to copy your painting, then she should be able to paint from her own ref., or obtain permission from a photographer for a ref. use.
I acknowledge it may be flattering, but if you aren't comfortable giving permission then I would agree with other posters, just say no.

Took a look at your site, and your work is wonderful!

David Dowbyhuz
02-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Like you've already realized, she could have copied your piece without ever telling you. Likely will without your blessing; maybe already has. Maybe many others already have.

She's not taking bread out of your mouth. Accept the compliment and tell her to go ahead, with a written credit to your work on the copy's back..

Anyone wants to copy any of my dozens of paintings, knock yourself out. Won't cause me lost sleep.

Best,
Dave

steffunke
02-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Thank you so much everyone for the nice compliments on my work and for all the great advice! I knew I could get great advice here. It did make me feel good she liked it enough to copy it, but I will have her change it a bit and give me some written credit on the back of her painting. Thank you everyone!
Stephanie