PDA

View Full Version : Not my thing

Bordelon
04-17-2003, 03:46 PM
I decided to try pen and ink and watercolor having never tried watercolor before. Well, I don't think it's my thing. I had such a hard time with the colors having a very small watercolor set. Also there is something going on in the upper left (white blothches)that is not on the original. Different members recommended works I could look at that were pen and ink and watercolor and I really liked Ginette's work. I think my drawing needs to be less detailed. I am also thinking about trying to use acrylics as watercolors since I am more familiar with acrylics and have a huge set.
Any comments will be appreciated. Sandra

karenjh
04-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Sandra,
Don't be too hard on yourself. This is nice. I really like the kid on the bike looking back. Nice composition too.

pampe
04-17-2003, 04:32 PM
I like this a lot

don't be frustrated...hang around here a while

ink and watercolor go so well together

You COULD also thin down your acrylics and use them like watercolor....

This has real potential

GREAT DRAWING!

Pam

rks
04-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Sandra, this is a very nice painting. You obviously can draw. I appreciate your concern about tooling up with watercolors, but you could always start off with just the primary colors, or follow Pam's advice about watering down your acrylics.

Roberta

lyn lynch
04-17-2003, 07:50 PM
First I say that I only use ink with acrylics and on fabric.

This work is very nicely done. In fact I think it quite pleasing, I would like to see a bit more tonal variation in the greens particularly; the brights are serving as your lights and the darks as middle ground, so you need a hit or two of darks. I also like to see a bit more tonal variation in a few of the windows on the right. Boy is very nice. If you want to work with ink, I suggest you give it a few more trys with watercolor, I think you can achieve the look you want.

CharM
04-17-2003, 08:00 PM
I like your composition... You little guy is a cutie... He has a mischievious look about him... Pam's right (she's always right)... Fookie's right (she's always right too)... Give this another chance... I look forward to more posts!!!:clap:

Bordelon
04-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Thanks all. I think I started on too grand a scale and am going to try some smaller paintings. Thanks for the encouragement. Sandra

Uschi
04-17-2003, 09:49 PM
Very good start!! I think it just needs a bit more colour, shadows and cast shadows to bring it "alive".
Uschi