PDA

View Full Version : Moonflower Blooming, Revised

painterbear
04-17-2003, 02:02 PM
This Moonflower is a one that opens in the evening so that insects that are nocturnal will pollinate it. These flowers are almost always white so they seem to glow in the light of the moon.

This was painted from a photo by Miss Mouse in the RIL. Thanks for posting it for us to use MM.

It is 5" x 7" on Canson 140 lb. cold pressed paper, Sap Green, Sepia, Cobalt Blue, Yellow Ochre Reeve's paints.

Opinions and critiques are invited and welcomed. Am I finished?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2003/9833-moonflower.gif

karenjh
04-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Very nice job on that white flower! If it were me I'd probably make some of those spaces between the leaves even darker to get a bit more depth.

Uschi
04-17-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by karenjh
Very nice job on that white flower! If it were me I'd probably make some of those spaces between the leaves even darker to get a bit more depth.

I agree re flower and darks, but not necessarily dark green, some dark purple, some dark blue etc.
Uschi

mustcreate
04-17-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm glad you found some time to paint Sylvia!

really effective use of shadow to create the sunlit look!!

em

Nandie
04-17-2003, 03:07 PM
Sylvia, this is beautifully done! You've really captured that flower. I do agree that you need some darker shadows - maybe just behind the petals and between those leaves, to make the flower pop.

tigre255
04-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Lovely flower Sylvia, hate to repete everyone else, but a few well placed darks would really be nice.......

If not it's still beautiful.....

M.A.
04-17-2003, 03:15 PM
Absolutely beautiful!
:clap:

JanJones
04-17-2003, 03:24 PM
Beautiful job, these are the most interesting flowers. You have captured it well.

Olga
04-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Hi Sylvia
The sunshine on the leaves is really wonderful and I like the abstract pattern that that the darks and lights make.
Nice!!

Olga

painterbear
04-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Thank you for looking at my Moonflower painting and commenting, Karen, Uschi, Em, Nandie, Barbara, Mary-Ann, and Jan.

I agreed about the darks needing to be darker so made some revisions which I will post below. I used both a dark, dark green, and a wonderful deep, rich purple (thanks, Uschi for the idea) to intensify the darks around the flower.

Em, It is supposed to be moonlight ;) , like on a night with a brillian full moon.

Jan, They are really a beautiful, exotic flower in form and blooming pattern.

Here it is with darker darks added. I tried to leave some of the dark greens still showing as if they were branches and leaves down deeper in the bush or foliage of the plant.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2003/9833-moonflower2.gif

pampe
04-17-2003, 05:09 PM
OH WOW

much better

brilliant!

artmom
04-17-2003, 05:35 PM
The second version is dy-na-mite!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lyn

mustcreate
04-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by painterbear

Em, It is supposed to be moonlight ;) , like on a night with a brillian full moon.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2003/9833-moonflower2.gif

well DUH!!!!

:o :o :o :o

oh man am I embarrassed:rolleyes:

beautiful revisions Sylvia!!!!!

karenjh
04-17-2003, 05:41 PM
WOW - Your revisions did the trick! It is awesome!

MissMouse
04-17-2003, 06:03 PM
Beautiful you did a wonderful job.

painterbear
04-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Wow, Pam, my darks are even dark enough to satisfy you! As James Brown says, "I fe-e-e-l good!":D

Lyn, It is a lot more dramatic now.

Em, :evil: :p Thanks.

Karen, Take a bow too, you were the first to recommend going darker.

Thanks gang for your kind words. I appreciate them, especially since I've been throwing paintings away right and left the last few days.

Olga
04-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Hello again
(*extracting her foot from her mouth*)

Yes, you did say it was a moonflower, and yes, I like the light in the painting a lot...and no, it was not sunlight, it was moonlight... And it's even a better moonlight now that you put in those extra darks.

(*still :o ...*)

Olga

lyn lynch
04-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Olga! We understand--you got teenagers!

Beautiful Sylvia. That Uschi lives right on the ball doesn't she? Myself I put a touchdown of dark to the very bottom of a pistel stem or two and create more depth there.

CharM
04-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Sylvia, you've done an outstanding job! This is gorgeous:clap: :clap: :clap:

Starsprite
04-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Sylvia, this is fantastic!! I bet these feel very velvety...at least they look very soft. I love the curly, wispy ends of the petals.... very nice "moonlit" flower!! The adding of the darks really makes it stand out... great job! :clap: :clap:

Nandie
04-17-2003, 10:13 PM
OHHHHH YES!!!!!!!

NOW you're talkin'!!!!!!!

Wooo HOOOOOO!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

al22
04-17-2003, 10:20 PM
Much better with the dark touches, Syliva.......
I like white flowers......
.......al

painterbear
04-18-2003, 05:16 AM
Thanks for checking in again and your kind comments.

Olga, You made me chuckle and start my day off with a smile. Glad you like the moonglow.

Fookie, Will add a drop or two of the dark purple at the base of the pistils as per your suggestion. There is green there now so that will liven that area a little too.

Patty, Those curling tips and curves of the petals are what made me want to paint this flower.

Andrea and Char, Thanks, I'm glad you like the changes.

Al, I like white flowers too, especially since you can paint them with so many colors—grey, blue, gold, and purple, in this instance.

painterbear
04-18-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by MissMouse
Beautiful you did a wonderful job.

I'm so glad you like it. You took a beautiful photo. Thanks again for sharing it with us.

BobH
04-18-2003, 06:42 AM
I thought your first version was outstanding, but the second is just amazing! The added darks really make the flower pop!!

Bob

Annetta
04-18-2003, 08:40 AM
....just lovely!! :clap: :clap: !!! I think we have some of the same flowers. When they open are they the size of a small dinner plate? The ones we have (I think) are some kind of morning glory??? Anyway, you just keep getting better and better regarding your paintings!! Keep up the awesome work!! :D

Crystal Owl
04-18-2003, 10:31 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: The darks did the trick beautiful!

Irene

painterbear
04-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Bob, Thanks, I'm so glad you liked my painting.

Annetta, I looked moonflowers up and they are related to morning glories but reversed in timing, they open in late afternoon and close in the daytime. They grow 10-15 feet in a season and are 4 to 6 inches in diameter. Glad you liked this painting.

Irene, Thanks for commenting. I appreciate it.